Menu

Homeschool Convention nearby this weekend... (If you are YE you will want to skip this thread)

5LittleMonkeys

Wow, this might be the single rudest thread I've seen here. You're all so intellectual and tolerant. :rolleyes:

I find it even more rude that Ken Ham has seen fit to appoint himself the arbiter of who is or is not a 'Christian'. If one insists on putting oneself up on a pedestal then one invites this type of scrutiny. He certainly scrutinizes everyone else.

I am a Christian and I don't care how long it took God to make the world or what method He used to do it. I must have missed the passage that says I had to believe exactly as Ken Ham does on a literal six day creation to be saved.

And I got some very bad news tonight and was in dire need of the laugh that dino eating a watermelon provided. This has been the week from Hades - my youngest may or may not have broken his elbow from a fall on Memorial Day and I can't believe the fun I'm having keeping a soft cast on a ADHHHHHD gaming little Aspie. (And wouldn't you know it happened the same week I got our new handwriting curriculum?)

So thanks for the cartoon. :thumbup: And the wedding picture is all sorts of awesome.

I don't go to homeschool conferences because of people like Ken Ham. I want to learn how to teach my kids. I've got the Bible part covered.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sorry your week has been so hard!!! Hugs and prayers for you and your son. I'm glad we could make you laugh!!!

I find it even more rude that Ken Ham has seen fit to appoint himself the arbiter of who is or is not a 'Christian'. If one insists on putting oneself up on a pedestal then one invites this type of scrutiny. He certainly scrutinizes everyone else.

I am a Christian and I don't care how long it took God to make the world or what method He used to do it. I must have missed the passage that says I had to believe exactly as Ken Ham does on a literal six day creation to be saved.

And I got some very bad news tonight and was in dire need of the laugh that dino eating a watermelon provided. This has been the week from Hades - my youngest may or may not have broken his elbow from a fall on Memorial Day and I can't believe the fun I'm having keeping a soft cast on a ADHHHHHD gaming little Aspie. (And wouldn't you know it happened the same week I got our new handwriting curriculum?)

So thanks for the cartoon. :thumbup: And the wedding picture is all sorts of awesome.

I don't go to homeschool conferences because of people like Ken Ham. I want to learn how to teach my kids. I've got the Bible part covered.

Well, I'm back from Teach Them Diligently. I even watched Thursday evening's session with Ham. More than anything, it struck me as a long advertisement for both Answers in Genesis, as well as the Creation Museum. Thursday's first session, he was very careful to clarify that belief in literal Creation has little to do with salvation.

But DH attended part of the dinosaur session later in the weekend and walked out in the middle as Ham wasn't nearly so charitable in that one. (Though he did see the teeth and watermelon part of the presentation. lol)

Interestingly, one of Ham's rationales for making such sharp divisions between Christians is because of the falling away of youth from the church. Obviously he can't see that tying things like Creation (or worse, politics) to Christ are a big reason for it!

My 11 and 13 year olds both attended the children's program. DD as a student, DS as a teen helper. He came to lunch on Friday, all fired up, because their teacher had said lying was a sin.

OK. Lying is a sin. But he went on to say that evolution is a lie.

Therefore people who support evolution are liars.

Fortunately, this is not the first time my kids have encountered bigots. So, they just smiled and nodded and saved their complaints for their father and I.

But, other than those two instances, it was a FANTASTIC weekend! I can't even begin to say how inspiring and revitalizing it was. I got to see several of Debra Bell's workshops. That alone made it worth my time. :D Even before I saw Heidi St. John, or the Youngs or any of the other excellent presenters.

I'm volunteering at the HEAV convention this weekend...mainly going so I can get into the UCS and take part in the gleaning (free stuff) on Saturday. I'd be more than happy to essentially volunteer for 8 hours on Friday...if I didn't have to pay to attend the convention (I've sent an e-mail to ask...just in case). My son and I are already doing 7 hours each, and my 11yo is along for the ride, too). In fact, my son would volunteer pretty much *all day*on Friday (about 12 hours), and most of the day on Saturday (6-8 hours) I know they need more help...and I could probably get them more help...but that *must register for the convention* gets a bit sticky!

All of this to say, that HEAV is another very YE Creation, with lists of "approved" and "unapproved" vendors (it doesn't take much to get onto their unapproved list).

However, their UCS and gleaning opportunities are HUGE (especially when looking for old editions of select Abeka stuff...lol, mostly English/LA, some math) I got Math-It, Advanced Math-It and Grammar-It FREE a couple years ago...along with a HUGE box of books for my kids to read! What I didn't need/use, I boxed up and donated to an African charity. This year, I'll probably box up stuff for OKC, though. I love most of the people who attend...we just keep our OE/YE views to ourselves ;)

Interestingly, one of Ham's rationales for making such sharp divisions between Christians is because of the falling away of youth from the church. Obviously he can't see that tying things like Creation (or worse, politics) to Christ are a big reason for it!

Yes, I've been reading The Christian College Phenomenon, and Richard Collings has a chapter in there where he makes that same point. It's tragic.

So Ham is still running the illustration of dinosaurs and watermelons? I guess my memory banks are still working right!

And Evolution=Lies, yep, that's the name of his book. Since he believes evolution is the thing which is the foundation of everything wrong and non-Christian in the world, then yeah, I guess he could say that he thinks non-Creationists could be Christians, but what he really thinks is that they are participating in and promoting a lie from Satan. Nice.

I'm volunteering at the HEAV convention this weekend...mainly going so I can get into the UCS and take part in the gleaning (free stuff) on Saturday. I'd be more than happy to essentially volunteer for 8 hours on Friday...if I didn't have to pay to attend the convention (I've sent an e-mail to ask...just in case). My son and I are already doing 7 hours each, and my 11yo is along for the ride, too). In fact, my son would volunteer pretty much *all day*on Friday (about 12 hours), and most of the day on Saturday (6-8 hours) I know they need more help...and I could probably get them more help...but that *must register for the convention* gets a bit sticky!

All of this to say, that HEAV is another very YE Creation, with lists of "approved" and "unapproved" vendors (it doesn't take much to get onto their unapproved list).

However, their UCS and gleaning opportunities are HUGE (especially when looking for old editions of select Abeka stuff...lol, mostly English/LA, some math) I got Math-It, Advanced Math-It and Grammar-It FREE a couple years ago...along with a HUGE box of books for my kids to read! What I didn't need/use, I boxed up and donated to an African charity. This year, I'll probably box up stuff for OKC, though. I love most of the people who attend...we just keep our OE/YE views to ourselves ;)

I'll be working at the Rightstart booth at HEAV this weekend. I'm a UU ( who obviously hides her true colors while there). I've had awkward moments with people asking what church I go to, or the science curriculum I use! I'm planning on being more prepared with a strategically vague reply this year.

I think it would behoove them to let people volunteer without registration, especially this year with the Duggers coming. Their session should be very educationally enlightening considering they've only ever used Switched on Schoolhouse for their bazillion kids. ;)

Wow, this might be the single rudest thread I've seen here. You're all so intellectual and tolerant. :rolleyes:

Tolerance requires that I not oppose Ken Ham's right to appear at conventions or open a museum. It requires that I not make threats against his life or hire an arsonist to destroy his museum. And it should go without saying that I have never considered doing any of those things.

It does not require me to respect unrespectable and unscientific theories or teachings. Nor does tolerance require me to deny the humor of outrageous claims and fabrications.

Vegetarian t-rex? I mean come on. That's comic gold.

I'll be working at the Rightstart booth at HEAV this weekend. I'm a UU ( who obviously hides her true colors while there). I've had awkward moments with people asking what church I go to, or the science curriculum I use! I'm planning on being more prepared with a strategically vague reply this year.

I think it would behoove them to let people volunteer without registration, especially this year with the Duggers coming. Their session should be very educationally enlightening considering they've only ever used Switched on Schoolhouse for their bazillion kids. ;)

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry... I'm just not all that thrilled about the Duggars being there (and it seems like there are a lot of workshops they *can't* fit this year because of all the extra video stream seating rooms and such) and I'm giving my ticket away. A friend of mine can NOT believe that I'm not going to see them, and another friend and I are like, 'What in the world could they have to say that would be relevant to us?'

People just like them because they are on TV. I'm sure they're a nice family and all, whatever... but just not my cuppa.

Oh, and I'll be volunteering at registration on Thursday from 1:30-4:30. If anyone wants to stop by. :D

Anyway, sorry for the thread derail... I'm YE (and hesitated opening the thread because of the warning - to which I must say, thanks to the OP for that, seriously. I ended up deciding to open it anyway, but no one can come and complain about thread content if it was warned against, kwim? :) ) and I still think Ken Ham is a nutter.

My son and I enjoyed the Houston Museum of Natural Science today. We went mainly for the new Ancient Egypt exhibit, but got sucked into other exhibits as well. We spent about five hours there! We had to go really quickly through the energy and paleontology exhibits. They have a lot of dinosaur exhibits. My son saw the t-rex and commented on his big teeth and how he used those teeth for eating meat. Then I had a good chuckle thinking about him busting open watermelons with those teeth and his short little arms.

I want to tour the Creation Museum when a group of these folks are visiting. I think it would be VERY entertaining. I'd just follow them through and observe. I would also wear culottes so nobody would catch me.

http://phys.org/news165555744.html

I'm not saying this to be derisive or rude, however, my aunt and her family, who are VERY VERY conservative told me that culottes are actually considered "progressive". It's denim jumper with a shirt underneath it. ;)

You might fit in better in a jumper.

Want there an article/blog post some years back about being forced to sign a waiver before entering the Creation Musuem?

Off to see if I can find it......or more importantly, link it.

Were you thinking of this article?

http://ncse.com/creationism/general/anti-museum-overview-review-answers-genesis-creation-museum

It mentions a SOF being required in order to volunteer.

Were you thinking of this article?

http://ncse.com/creationism/general/anti-museum-overview-review-answers-genesis-creation-museum

It mentions a SOF being required in order to volunteer.

No, it was a review written by a teen who toured as part of a larger homeschooling group.

The article you linked was actually more informative though. Your mad google skills never fail to impress!

I think what I may have been remembering from the teen's review was the signage informing guests that they would be removed for arguing??? ( can't remember wording and cannot seem to find the review.)

No, it was a review written by a teen who toured as part of a larger homeschooling group.

The article you linked was actually more informative though. Your mad google skills never fail to impress!

I think what I may have been remembering from the teen's review was the signage informing guests that they would be removed for arguing??? ( can't remember wording and cannot seem to find the review.)

There are actually a LOT of blog articles that mention those signs, such as:

http://myamericanodyssey.com/what-the-hell-visiting-the-creation-museum-in-petersburg-ky/

There’s a sign on the door of The Creation Museum warning any smart-alecks showing disrespect that they can be ejected at the discretion of the management. This has clearly been a problem, warranting such a sign.

I saw no such sign outside the Planetarium in Chicago. Apparently science is not so easily ridiculed.

Ok, color me confused. So the premise of this museum is that dinosaurs ate pumpkins and watermelons until, "the fall." I take it that means until Eve ate the apple, right?

And then once Eve ate that apple, dinosaurs started eating each other? So before that, they sat around singing Kumbaya and eating vegetables but then one of them perked up and said, "Hey, some woman 1000 miles away just ate an apple. I'm going to eat you now!"

Is that the gist of this story?

Ok, color me confused. So the premise of this museum is that dinosaurs ate pumpkins and watermelons until, "the fall." I take it that means until Eve ate the apple, right?

And then once Eve ate that apple, dinosaurs started eating each other? So before that, they sat around singing Kumbaya and eating vegetables but then one of them perked up and said, "Hey, some woman 1000 miles away just ate an apple. I'm going to eat you now!"

Is that the gist of this story?

You're close. It wasn't until *Adam* ate the apple. I mean Eve did it first and talked Adam into doing but it was Adam's eating of the apple that caused the fall. A man has the ultimate power over everything not woman.

Also, I'm not sure how big the Garden of Eden was supposed to be, but Ham states that all creatures including dinosaurs lived in Eden. So who can say if the dinosaur was 1,000 miles away when Adam bit into the apple.

Btw, apples are one of my favorite fruit.

I told dh I would be tempted to go to a convention if Ham was speaking. My curiosity always gets the best of me. Dh said he'd have to move out for a couple of weeks because of all the b*tching I'd be doing afterwards. Ken Ham isn't coming to our area but Kevin Swanson is (tiny little fetuses embedded in the wombs of women on the pill guy). That one I need to stay away from.

I was at the mall today, and outside the music store was a poster for a new album called "The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here." I thought of this thread (but didn't want to have to explain to my kids why I was taking a picture of the poster, so you'll have to google it yourselves). Too bad they didn't have the watermelon pic for their album cover.