Menu

Homeschool Convention nearby this weekend... (If you are YE you will want to skip this thread)

5LittleMonkeys

So on top of all the other scientifically implausible information they are teaching, they are showing a t-Rex was able to reach its mouth with its arms?!?!?

Maybe we can make a list of what they are getting right there; I think it would take us less time and space.

these parents must not allow their children to watch Toy Story - rex's puny arms being too short to "shoot and jump at the same time" might confuse them. ;)

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I am not YE, I try to extend the same grace and space for those who are as I would like extended to OE me and mine.

Every now and then, though, something like the long armed t-Rex comes along and I feel like shouting, "So if you don't like the evidence you're just making crap up?!?!"

I have a lot more respect for someone just stating they are standing by thier Biblical interpretation and leaving the evidence at the door than trying to take the evidence and contort it into thier worldview. The latter smacks of both intellectual and spiritual dishonesty.

I managed to dig this up:

It's from Dinosaurs and the Bible, which I don't think AIG sells anymore, but looks so familiar to me that I'm pretty sure they did have it in their catalog at one time.

This picture made my day. Mind blown.

I am not familiar with anyone he mentioned, as I don't follow any of those trends/news/people....the only one I recognized, and I can.not.remember his name this early in the morning, was the guy from the Great Homeschool Convention kerfluffle a few years ago.....gheesh, what is his name? Ken made a point to point him out by saying "you all may remember my disagreement with this gentleman..."

Peter Enns.

I agree ^. I think YE are welcome to believe what they wish. I just find it hard to believe you need a watermelon eating t-rex (who can somehow manage to pick up a watermelon and eat it with tiny t-rex arms) roaming around the Garden of Eden to believe YE and my open-mindedness toward that belief does not quash the hilarity of the picture upthread.

Oh, lol. I didn't mean to do that.

But the nice thing about watermelons is that you don't have to dig them up. They're just there, in nice round balls, growing in the sand, in a desert, by a coconut tree. I haven't lived in sub-tropical Florida for long, but this seems a bit odd.

And the T. Rex. Of course.

A cactus fruit would have made more sense here. Yes.

:rofl:

He he - that too - but my hilarity about it was digging up a T-Rex...dinosaur fossils? Archaeology? LOL

:rofl:

One would think the short-armed T-rex would be more valuable to this particular community...perhaps an example of the divine plan against self brewing.

This right here is why we cannot take you anywhere.

:p

You sound like my mother.

;)

Life would be boring if I only sounded like mine.

Best parenting moment of the past week: informing Sister that she would one day catch herself saying my material to her children. She denied it would happen and then I lowered the boom telling her she was the 4th generation most of the phrases she dislikes have been used on and none of us liked them much either at her age. Her look was priceless. B)

Yes, my 4 yr old pretends he's a T-Rex everyday. He comes up to me and rubs on me like a cat and tells me he's a friendly T-Rex. However, he knows he has tiny arms as a T-Rex and therefore I must hand feed him because he can't reach his mouth with his little arms. So, he's a little more advanced.

Well, have you tried to open a coconut? I could use some T-Rex teeth right now.

I don't even know that t-tex teeth could crack open some of the coconuts I have struggled with. I gave up the ghost and resigned myself to processed coconut in packages I can tear open with my mere homo sapien teeth and coconut milk in boxes with a foil seal that can be pierced with a plastic straw. Plastic makes it possible. And dinosaurs made plastic possible, right?

Oh, lol. I didn't mean to do that.

But the nice thing about watermelons is that you don't have to dig them up. They're just there, in nice round balls, growing in the sand, in a desert, by a coconut tree. I haven't lived in sub-tropical Florida for long, but this seems a bit odd.

DH just pointed out that the watermelons, as depicted, are also roughly the size of the T-Rex's skull. Those would be some pretty big (dare I say . . . mammoth?) watermelons!

So on top of all the other scientifically implausible information they are teaching, they are showing a t-Rex was able to reach its mouth with its arms?!?!?

Not to mention, as my colleague pointed out (slow day at work) opposable thumbs.

Laura

DH just pointed out that the watermelons, as depicted, are also roughly the size of the T-Rex's skull. Those would be some pretty big (dare I say . . . mammoth?) watermelons!

Didn't they know, "Never eat anything bigger than your head"?

I'm racking my memory banks like crazy here, because I have a recollection of a cartoon-ish picture of Adam and Eve in Eden with a bunch of animals eating fruit, and I think T. Rex was eating a watermelon in it. That's what I was originally thinking of when I first mentioned watermelon, and now I can't place exactly where I remember this picture from. I'm starting to think that it was a slide from the AIG conference that my family went to in the early 90's. I'm curious to know if anyone else can place it. But I think most people who attend AIG conferences are skipping this thread.

But seriously, is Ham still ragging on Enns?

There is a rock that for a while was famous. It had a fossils and what looked like vaguely like a human foot print. For several years among the early YE community in this part of the country, it was touted as proof that these creatures were around when man was. When they showed it to a science to refute evolution, the scientist ask why was the human walking on the ocean floor because of course it was a fossil of a sea creature.

The irony is the area that AIG and the Creation Museum is in area full of limestone rock. Layers upon layers of limestone packed with billions of tiny fossils and sand. In this part of the country, you travel roads cut into the limestone. Look up limestone. Look down limestone. Deep quarries of limestone in southern Indiana was used for the Empire State Building. Full of fossils of coral, snails, crinoids some you can see with the naked eye, but many microscopic.

Yes, when I go to a homeschool convention, if I see a booth with any Ken Hamm materials in it, I just keep right on walking. More because of his role in excluding other vendors from conventions than his ideology (though I am not YE).

there is a place on FB where you can stop someone's posts from showing up without unfriending them. I use it during every election. Then, about a week after the election, I turn them back on because I really do like people involved (on the right and the left, btw), just not their strident over the top political comments.

there is a place on FB where you can stop someone's posts from showing up without unfriending them. I use it during every election. Then, about a week after the election, I turn them back on because I really do like people involved (on the right and the left, btw), just not their strident over the top political comments.

I have an "avoidance for politics" list that I take them out of my newsfeed and put them in this list. When I am strong, I go and check in with them, but it never spills into my newsfeed. I care deeply for people on many facets of politics and religion and I just don't want to be bombarded with hate memes from anyone. :(

There is a rock that for a while was famous. It had a fossils and what looked like vaguely like a human foot print. For several years among the early YE community in this part of the country, it was touted as proof that these creatures were around when man was. When they showed it to a science to refute evolution, the scientist ask why was the human walking on the ocean floor because of course it was a fossil of a sea creature.

My mil had very shoddy foot surgery on both feet. her toes were incredibly wonky afterwards. her children teased her she should go walk on the mud of a river bank and drive someone nuts trying to figure out what it was.

Wow, this might be the single rudest thread I've seen here. You're all so intellectual and tolerant. :rolleyes:

Well, I haven't posted in this thread until now. But I confess that I'm extremely intolerant of people who think they have the authority and/or insight to decide who is or isn't a Christian.

Wow, this might be the single rudest thread I've seen here. You're all so intellectual and tolerant. :rolleyes:

Ken Ham has earned the scorn with his repeated attacks on others. And yeah, if someone is handing their kids books that say the T-Rex munched on watermelons, I will admit to openly rolling my eyes at them.

If you think this is anywhere close to the rudest thread we've had you clearly have missed some doozies.

I do not claim to be the nearly the most intellectual member of the board, and I am pretty sure there are those who are more tolerant; what I am is a Christian, who happens to believe that the interpretation of Genesis is not a salvation issue and that those who tout it as one are doing more harm than good to the body of Christ.

YE or OE I think we should be able to agree that images such as the watermelon crunching t-Rex are rediculous. The YE position is not strengthened by such nonsense; it is likewise not made more credible by putting scientific findings into contortions and getting put out when others do not find it as impressive as you* do.

I will reiterate what I said earlier in this thread, I have a great deal of respect for those who hold a different opinion of creation. I have next to none for those whose take what they like, twist what is only slightly inconvenient, ignore or ridicule what does not fit thier worldview, and damn those who do not fall in lock step with them.

*general you, I am not ascribing any specific beliefs to Painted Lady.

(Edited to add * and change dinos to a more accurate word, t-Rex.)

I just had to find this thread to add this picture! I started laughing thinking of the t-rex with the long arms and eating the watermelon...Proof t-rex and humans DID live at the same time, and at least one of them missed the extinction comet!! ;)

(All done in good fun!!!)

Here's the photo credit:

https://www.facebook.com/QuinnMillerPhotography/info

931164_10151522667423124_1570909707_n.jpg

Of all places, on my newsfeed on Facebook! A friend is a wedding photographer.

I could totally see one of my children thinking that was the most awesome weeding pic ever.

I think his special someone will need an extra dose of special to go with an incredible sense of humor! :p

Of all places, on my newsfeed on Facebook! A friend is a wedding photographer.

Holy cow, my wedding was so tame. For the first time in my life I'm thinking about renewing my vows. I wonder if they could put Mothra back there or Sigourney Weaver's alien or just Sigourney Weaver...