Menu

Homeschool Convention nearby this weekend... (If you are YE you will want to skip this thread)

5LittleMonkeys

Ken Ham is one of the speakers. I really, really need to stay off of facebook for awhile. Next person who posts that they're excited to hear him speak about dinosaurs is going to send me over the edge. I really, seriously just can not wrap my head around that way of thinking....I've tried and it just defies logic. It's hard to live in an area where this is the predominate believe.

Oh, and I'm just venting here so I don't vent on facebook...I'm not interested in debating anything.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I would love to peruse some materials IRL, I think I would be hard pressed to convince DH we should pay for a convention at which we would have zero seminars to attend.

Unless it we could just pay for the vender hall. I have seen a few conventions advertised that way.

We're going to Teach Them Diligently in Omaha in two weeks and I honestly can't wait! :D

There are several speakers I'm looking forward to hearing, Heidi St. John being near the top of my list.

There are a dozen or more presentations per session, I honestly don't know how you wouldn't find something you could attend, Lulu... Have you looked at a schedule?

But, being OE/evolution all the way, when Trap and I were looking through the sessions schedule he said, "We're skipping everything Ken Ham, right?"

I keep thinking we should go to the first evening session (since there's nothing else going on during that slot), just so I can say, "Yeah, I saw him in person. Wow..."

Well we are not really near anything convention wise. A year or so ago I tried to time our summer trip to the in-laws to coincide with a convention on the way there but it did not work out.

The first year or two we homeschooled I wanted to go to a convention so bad I almost couldn't stand it. I think i viewed it as a homeschooling rite of passage. After six years, I'd like to spend some time with materials, but I have found downloading seminars online to be wonderful; honestly it is probably better than a convention for my introverted self. I can sit alone, listen to my lecture, and enjoy my coffee or alcoholic beverage of choice. (We will pretend that which I am consuming is determined by the time of day. :p )

Yes, I'm YE, and even I don't like Ken Ham. His attitude and his leaps of logic drive me bonkers. We heard him speak some years back, and I felt like I was in pep rally against the opposition, which I didn't think was very appropriate at all.

I know that there are some good speakers there, but I couldn't shake the feeling I'd catch some weird brain devouring disease if i stepped foot in a building he was occupying. That seems the only rational reason someone might give any credance to anything that man spouts.

I volunteered at a convention a few weeks ago where he was a speaker. My job was to sit near the stage, and make sure no one went up on the stage after the speaker was done. So I had to hear him for almost an hour. I was floored by what he said and not in a good way. Even more shocking was how he named and showed video clips of Christian "bigwigs " who HE didn't think were bring Christian enough. Afterwards homeschooling families lined up to take pictures with him !?!?!?!!

In his defense, Ken Ham's FB posts are a riot to read. His hypocrisy is amazing to watch in action and the ignorance of his followers is often delicious.

I sometimes almost envy this line of thinking (yours, not his). I get so annoyed, because these are actual people who are just not thinking, and I don't understand how they can be fooled like that, and things I don't understand drive me crazy. Plus I remember that they have equal citizenship and their votes could affect my life. If I could be entertained by it instead of stressed, that would be nice....

I volunteered at a convention a few weeks ago where he was a speaker. My job was to sit near the stage, and make sure no one went up on the stage after the speaker was done. So I had to hear him for almost an hour. I was floored by what he said and not in a good way. Even more shocking was how he named and showed video clips of Christian "bigwigs " who HE didn't think were bring Christian enough. Afterwards homeschooling families lined up to take pictures with him !?!?!?!!

This is what I find downright disturbing. It is some of the most UNChristian behavior I have ever seen. I am done with conventions of *this* sort as a result.

You HAVE to share who he thinks aren't Christian enough... I wonder if I know them!! <snicker>

You HAVE to share who he thinks aren't Christian enough... I wonder if I know them!! <snicker>

Yes. I know of plenty that he probably wouldn't consider to be Christian enough, but I'm so curious to know who's currently on his radar!

I am not familiar with anyone he mentioned, as I don't follow any of those trends/news/people....the only one I recognized, and I can.not.remember his name this early in the morning, was the guy from the Great Homeschool Convention kerfluffle a few years ago.....gheesh, what is his name? Ken made a point to point him out by saying "you all may remember my disagreement with this gentleman..." And then went on to show a video clip of this guy speaking. The other men were men who were highly educated, Christian, working at Bible Colleges, or Universities, or seemed like huge churches. Ken made sure to list out their credentials before attempting to discredit each one after showing their pics or video clips. His whole lecture was about Christians stumbling these days if they are willing to accept the Genesis did not happen in 6 actual days, but over many many years, willing to accept that the term "day" was not intended to mean one 24 hour timeframe, and thus that evolution is being accepted along with that, that too many Christians are accepting science, ie evolutIon, and mixing it with the Bible........he lectured instead we need to accept the Bible as written.

Regardless if one agrees with him,t I thought it distasteful to bring up and point out specific individuals, pull clips ,and perhaps even out of context (who would know unless we had watched the whole lecture/statement of these people?!?), and them not be there to defend themselves.

I admit I don't know who the guy is. maybe someone should send him a beam. but from the descriptions, I doubt he'd understand.

Question about the creation museum. Dinos are shown cavorting with Adam and Eve, before the fall, when there was no death and all were vegetarian. How does Ham explain why these animals have so many big, sharp teeth and nasty claws? I've always been curious about that.

Only Monopoly guys! She's not kidding. :scared:

Page 34 of Dinosaurs for Kids: "So why did animals like T-Rex need sharp teeth if they weren't eating meat? Well if you were going to eat certain plants, branches, vegetables and fruit (like pumpkins and watermelon), you would need very sharp teeth!"

And we have supposedly rational, thinking adults who read that and think "Hey, this makes sense!"

OK, so obviously I'm not even going to be able to go to that single session, even for the novelty.

I can feel brain cells dying just thinking about it. And I don't want to have to be rude and get up and drag my family from the auditorium in the midst of a lecture.

Only Monopoly guys! She's not kidding. :scared:

Page 34 of Dinosaurs for Kids: "So why did animals like T-Rex need sharp teeth if they weren't eating meat? Well if you were going to eat certain plants, branches, vegetables and fruit (like pumpkins and watermelon), you would need very sharp teeth!"

I managed to dig this up:

trexmelondrawing.jpg

It's from Dinosaurs and the Bible, which I don't think AIG sells anymore, but looks so familiar to me that I'm pretty sure they did have it in their catalog at one time.

I managed to dig this up:

trexmelondrawing.jpg

It's from Dinosaurs and the Bible, which I don't think AIG sells anymore, but looks so familiar to me that I'm pretty sure they did have it in their catalog at one time.

Thank you for this. Just snorted coffee all over my keyboard. Cannot....stop....laughing.

Homeschooler confession: I've been homeschooling now for almost 15 years and I've NEVER been to a big convention! I've been to a few, very small, very local ones. And guess what? I managed to graduate one kid and am about to graduate another.

:D

To the person who had to sit, for the whole hour, listening to Ken Ham? I am SO sorry. My eyerolling would not only have been obvious, but I think they would have heard it all over the building. And the snorting too.

To eat watermelons.

:svengo: sure it wasn't to eat catus? I have an auracaria tree (re: monkey puzzle tree) that originates from that time period. my sons hate it becasue it's so spikey. leather gloves are barely adequate protection for it's branches.

I can see why some would find him so hilarious . . . .

DIG this up...get it??? HA ha!!!

Oh, lol. I didn't mean to do that.

But the nice thing about watermelons is that you don't have to dig them up. They're just there, in nice round balls, growing in the sand, in a desert, by a coconut tree. I haven't lived in sub-tropical Florida for long, but this seems a bit odd.

And the T. Rex. Of course.

A cactus fruit would have made more sense here. Yes.

:rofl:

So on top of all the other scientifically implausible information they are teaching, they are showing a t-Rex was able to reach its mouth with its arms?!?!?

Maybe we can make a list of what they are getting right there; I think it would take us less time and space.