Menu

What would be the easiest most effective writing curriculum for a child who will more than likely transition to a Charter School

Writing Tales is a simple program. There are two levels. I think I would use level 1 in your shoes. It is a 30 week program but could be condensed fairly easily into a summer program, IMO. Also, if you don't finish it all, that would be okay. Each set of lessons (on one fable) last two weeks so you can stop at the end of lesson on a particular fable at whatever point you need to stop at.

Truly, I don't think it will make a difference. As long as he can put his pencil to paper and write sentences that are properly punctuated and capitalized, and his penmanship is fairly decent, and he knows that he should write his name and date on his paper, whatever you do with him will be fine.

I was quite concerned after speaking to a friend who has a daughter in the same grade. It seems like the PS kids are writing different types of paragraphs at this age. My son has never written a paragraph before. He can definitely construct a complete sentence but I wasn't going to start a program with him until 4th grade. But of course things have changed now.

i wouldn't use a curriculum at all. in your place, i would just focus on writing a paragraph a day. start off modeling the paragraph a few times, then have your child do it orally while you write it down for him, and transition into your child doing it alone. for public school, i would focus on this type of paragraph. i've taught my son this method with success. i would also introduce time order words, such as: first, next, then, finally, etc. you could also focus on very short writings of things that may interest your son, such as a movie summary, book review, writing a letter, telling about an animal, journal prompts, etc. if you can master a very simple paragraph, your child will be more than fine imo. actually, he will be fine anyway :) no worries.

I agree with Mytwomonkeys. FWIW, a lot of schools (or at least the ones in California) teach 6 trait writing. Next year we will use Writing Strands along with Evan Moor's daily 6 trait writing. I haven't used it, but I hear that Winning With Writing is also similar to what the ps's are teaching.

In this situation, I would use Winning with Writing for 3rd grade. It teaches how to build a paragraph and different types of writing (narrative, persuasive, etc.) paragraphs. You could skip the parts he already knows in the beginning and do the rest over the summer.

I was quite concerned after speaking to a friend who has a daughter in the same grade. It seems like the PS kids are writing different types of paragraphs at this age. My son has never written a paragraph before. He can definitely construct a complete sentence but I wasn't going to start a program with him until 4th grade. But of course things have changed now.

At this age, I can guarantee you that even if "different types of paragraph" are taught (and personally, I'm not sure how many kind of paragraphs there are :confused1: ) the same things will be taught again in fourth grade, and fifth grade, and sixth grade, and seventh...because not all of the children entering fourth grade will have had the same kind of instruction in third, and not all of the children who had the same instruction will have actually mastered...whatever they were taught.

At this age, I can guarantee you that even if "different types of paragraph" are taught (and personally, I'm not sure how many kind of paragraphs there are :confused1: ) the same things will be taught again in fourth grade, and fifth grade, and sixth grade, and seventh...because not all of the children entering fourth grade will have had the same kind of instruction in third, and not all of the children who had the same instruction will have actually mastered...whatever they were taught.

I strongly agree. FWIW, during my son's time in PS, the "different types of paragraphs" taught there were example paragraphs, process/how-to paragraphs, narrative/story-telling paragraphs, persuasion paragraphs, etc. I think that's what she was referring to, LOL.

I strongly agree. FWIW, during my son's time in PS, the "different types of paragraphs" taught there were example paragraphs, process/how-to paragraphs, narrative/story-telling paragraphs, persuasion paragraphs, etc. I think that's what she was referring to, LOL.

Oh, you're right. :-)

I think it's a mistake to focus on *paragraphs*, but there it is, lol.

When I spoke of paragraphs I was referring to narrative, descriptive, and expository.

From my understanding PS kids start writing papers early 1st/ 2nd grade.

At least this is the case where a friend of mine send her kids to school.

I'm probably thinking too hard about this!

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm looking into a few recommendations.