Menu

A powerful dose of reality

AlmiraGulch

Has this been discussed?

This is Water

I've been in a foul mood for at least two months. I'm not proud of that, but it's true. I'm on my own last nerve, so people around me must be miserable.

Today a friend on Facebook suggested this video. It was like a splash of cold water in the face for me. Nothing new or groundbreaking, but the way it's presented really gave me the slap I need to hopefully snap myself out of this negative rut.

My notes:

1. Choose to consider possibilities that aren't annoying or miserable.

2. The true value of education has little to do with knowledge, but with the power to choose thoughts instead of automatically going to the default.

It makes sense if you watch it. I wanted to share in case someone needs it, like I did today.

That speech is especially thought-provoking considering the tragic choice David Foster Wallace ended up making.

And kudos to the filmmaker for working in one of DFW's trademark footnotes. Made me a little verklempt.

I didn't know he'd taken his life until your post made me go look it up. Definitely adds another dimension to the speech.

I've seen that video and loved it. Awhile back I made a decision that if I had to be somewhere (in a job, in a line, in a meeting, in a group, etc.) that I would do my best to make it fun. Life is hard...for everyone. Joke as much as possible, even if people think you're weird. Better to be weird than a stick in the mud! :D