Menu

College entrance requirements?

Hi All!

I'm wondering if I am missing something in my planning ahead.

When applying for college (4 year schools), what is considered for admissions? Is it transcript and SAT (or ACT) scores? Or, do most schools also have their own, independent "admissions" test that you must take before being accepted?

This is an area of confusion in a conversation I'm having with another homeschooling mom. Her argument is that the courses a kid takes during high school is not all that important because they will still have to pass the school's "admissions test." (and she is not talking about the SAT)

Any points of clarification are much appreciated!:)

My ds had to take a placement test before he took classes at the CC. He also has to take an English, Japanese, and math placement test for the school he will be attending. However, these are after admissions.

Entrance requirements to the universities he applied to were transcript, SAT and two SAT subject tests on of which had to be math. The schools varied a little on the classes required, but they all had requirements for the number and level of math classes, number of years of foreign language, number lab sciences, number of history classes and a government class.

I haven't heard of an admissions test requirement in college (other than the standard SAT, ACT types). Placement tests (once you've been admitted) are fairly routine. Usually a math placement test is required -- however, depending upon what school you are attending, and what class(es) you are trying to get into, additional placement tests may be required.

I have never heard of an 'admissions' test on any of the homeschool to college message boards I frequent. Applicants usually provide a transcript (which in the case of homeschoolers may include cc, online, outsourced and at-home classes), SAT or ACT scores, AP and/or CLEP scores, SAT II (SAT subject) scores. Colleges vary on if, or how many, SAT II scores are required. Some colleges are moving away from required SAT or ACT scores, though I think they will continue to be important for homeschoolers as 'verification' of what has happened at home.

This mom talking about 'admission tests' needs to do some research and back up her talk with some facts. I don't want to sound harsh, but as homeschooling moms we tend to get a little nervous about the college application process and we don't need any one to fan the flames of fear!

Kate in Seattle

The very best thing you can do is to look at the admissions policies of some of the colleges/universities that your dc might be interested in. That will give you your best information for planning.

Your friend would be dead wrong as regards content of high school classes if her kids wanted to go to the school my ds wants to go to for instance. It states on their website that they want to see that a student has taken a rigorous course of study in high school. For homeschool students, this needs to be backed up with SAT II's, AP exams, and community college courses.

Not sure what your friend is talking about...

Anyway, get on the websites of the schools your dc is interested in and plan from there.

Hi All!

I'm wondering if I am missing something in my planning ahead.

When applying for college (4 year schools), what is considered for admissions? Is it transcript and SAT (or ACT) scores? Or, do most schools also have their own, independent "admissions" test that you must take before being accepted?

This is an area of confusion in a conversation I'm having with another homeschooling mom. Her argument is that the courses a kid takes during high school is not all that important because they will still have to pass the school's "admissions test." (and she is not talking about the SAT)

Any points of clarification are much appreciated!:)

It's very possible that she is referring to a very specific instance with one particular school. Did you ask her which college(s) she was talking about? Or is this just a general "thing" she's throwing around?

All of the colleges that we've been looking into have websites with admission requirements right there for all to see. I haven't seen mention of any "admissions" test. Our CC does have *assessment* tests for Math, English and the like, but that's only to determine class placement.

I'd be really interested to know just exactly what she's talking about. It's certainly news to me!

Maybe it depends a little. In Texas, there is a placement requirement called TSI. Actually, a number of tests make up TSI requirements; you pick one. Anyway, HOMESCHOOLERS for dual enrollment, in our area, MUST pass a TSI test (accuplacer, THEA, QuickTHEA, etc) in order to take classes unless they "test out" by doing a certain degree of wellness on the SAT, ACT, or state testing. So in a way, it is an admissions test for a 15-17yr old. Once one is 18 though, they can take a TSI test and attend remedial classes if necessary.

Also, most schools have admissions requirements of # of sciences, # of maths, # of years of a foreign language. Some schools may waive those requirements for an otherwise strong student or someone who really knocks their socks off in some way. The schools we've looked at have alternative, individual consideration. Some unschoolers have found those to be quite useful and helpful for their cause. I personally wasn't that brave though I love unschooling in theory (and especially for the before high school years).

My suggestion to you is to simply go to the websites of the schools your child/ren are interested in and find out what their typical requirements are and make sure you, at very least, meet those requirements. Going above and beyond, doing outside classes and testing, etc can only help your case though.