Menu

What is the weirdest thing you've ever done in your sleep?

Last night, while half asleep, I was vigorously trying to pull the covers up. I do this all the time. But, this time I lost my grip on the cover and the momentum and force of my arm caused me to pop myself right in the eye! Yuck. My thumbnail sliced my upper eye lid. Is that weird, or what? This didn't totally wake me up. I remember crying a bit and then going back to sleep.

What weird things have you done in your sleep?

Holly

Oh! I've done that!! Well, not the slicing the eyelid thing, but punching myself in the face? Yup. Sure did!

Since living on my own in my first apartment in Boston and having had a mouse in said apartment, I am always on the lookout for them in my current house. I hate these critters. I've never found one or any evidence of one since leaving that apartment. Anyway, in that apartment, I was always afraid of waking up and finding one on my bed with me.

Fast forward to last night. Something rubs up against my foot in my sleep - it's soft and it's moving. I sit bolt upright and start screaming! I mean, it must be a mouse - right? Nope. Just my dh's foot (in a sock). Talk about feeling stupid!!!

and ran to the doorjamb and held on, still screaming. I don't know how I managed to sleep through this. Then, apparently, I quieted down and got back in bed. At that point my husband woke me up. My throat hurt a little, so I did believe him, but I don't remember anything at all. Our best guess is that I dreamed of an earthquake.

I sometimes see spiders....falling from the ceiling. My eyes are open, so I'm not really asleep. Yet I'm not awake either...because there are no spiders. I usually come completly awake as I'm slapping the spiders which are all over the bed...or while I'm pulling the covers off the bed searching for them...or...like the last time...slapping the one on my sleeping husband's face.

Yes, I slapped him. On the face. Once he got over the surprise he started laughing. Once he could stop laughing he thanked me for my courage.

We both giggled ourselves back to sleep over that one.

Trying to get off the operating table while having my gall bladder removed.

Now my dh is another story, he is always doing strange things in his sleep. The other night he turned on the lamp at like 2 am and started digging around on the nightstand and then in the trash. I asked what was wrong and he said we were going to have to quit letting the dc use the remote if they couldn't put it back where they found it. Then he rolled over and went back to sleep. I had to get up and turn off the light. The funny thing is, we don't even have a tv in our bedroom, I think he must have dreamed he was in the living room watching tv and couldn't find the remote.:lol:

I sometimes see spiders....falling from the ceiling. My eyes are open, so I'm not really asleep. Yet I'm not awake either...because there are no spiders. I usually come completly awake as I'm slapping the spiders which are all over the bed...or while I'm pulling the covers off the bed searching for them...or...like the last time...slapping the one on my sleeping husband's face.

Yes, I slapped him. On the face. Once he got over the surprise he started laughing. Once he could stop laughing he thanked me for my courage.

We both giggled ourselves back to sleep over that one.

:rofl: I sat here and laughed. I had to read this one to the boys. They said I wouldn't have actually slapped him with my hand because I wouldn't use my hand to smash a spider.

I would have been more likely to look for a shoe or something and done this...:smash:

The worst thing I've ever done is when I haven't felt well and dreamt I was in the bathroom. I have caught myself, yes as a 40+ adult, almost getting ready to wet the bed.......:001_huh:

Carried on a phone conversation. When I was still single, and coaching debate at USNA, one of my debaters called me late one night to ask me a question of some sort. I spoke to him for about 30 minutes, before hanging up and going back to sleep. I had no recollection of the actual conversation.

The next day, while at work, the same debater called me again -- to ask me some more questions, as what I had said the night before had confused him. :D

I have woke myself up crying and panting. Not sure what the dream was.

But, last week, our neighbors informed us that at 2:45 am that night, our son came and knocked on their door telling them weird things were going on at our house. He had a LONG conversation with them, and then they sent him home because they couldn't even see any lights on over here.

HE WAS SLEEPWALKING! He could not remember anything that happened that night, and after MUCH convincing, the neighbors decided to believe us that we were not having some big "weird" party over here.

We got a new alarm system to tell us if he ever gets to the bottom of the stairs again! Whew.

One night I remember jumping out of bed and running down the hallway screaming passing a very sleepy and confused 11 year old along the way who asked "what did I do mom?" at which time dh just stands int he hallways and stared at me makingmatters worse. I finally woke up enough to realize what I was doing. My poor son had no clue what was going on.

I seem to have a problem with urination and sleep. LOL

As a child I walked out of my room, down the hall, out the front door...my parents stopped me and asked where I was going...as it was night time here..10pm or something. Anyway, they stopped me and I said I was going to the bathroom. "Honey, you're outside" and proceeded to bring me indoors and lead me to the bathroom.

And I have also, as someone else mentioned, had a dream that I was using the bathroom and well, yeah, commenced to wetting myself. :blush:

I've been known to sleep walk and talk. The first time I realized this, I was apparently walking around the house as a teenager saying, "It's the Chinese New Year. We have to eat." But that's nothing compared to the time I got up and took a shower in my sleep. I must have dreamed that my alarm clock went off, got up, went in the bathroom, and showered. In my dream, it was light outside. I don't know at what point I woke up, but when I came out of the bathroom, it was dark out since it was still the middle of the night. It really freaked me out.:blink:

As far as I know, I've never done anything -- but recently I went to wake ds (11) up, and every dresser drawer was open and empty and all of his clothes were stacked in piles on the floor. He doesn't remember anything about it, but they were all where they belonged when I told him goodnight the previous night.

A year or so after we got married, my aide (I taught special ed and had a full-time aide) called at about 5:30 am to let me know she wouldn't be at school that day. Dh doesn't wake up easily -- he answered the phone and she asked to speak to me. Dh said, "Lorna? I'm sorry -- you have the wrong number."

I heard a phone ring, and reached over to answer it. The thing was, there was no phone on my nightstand. I picked up some air, put it to my ear and said, "Hello?" (nothing"

I then looked at my hand, and realized that there wasn't anything in it but some air. :)

I placed the air (invisible phone) back on the table.

I realized that hanging up the air was a really silly thing to do (even sillier than answering the invisible phone to begin with). I just shook my head at myself, and went back to sleep.

Once, when we were kids, my sister & I slept in the king size bed w/ my mom when my dad was out of town.

Mom said we were both asleep (had been a long time) & she was sitting up reading. She said that suddenly, I sat upright & looked toward my sister & said in a mean voice, "Well, say something."

And my sister very sleepily said, "What do you want me to say?"

Me: "Anything."

My sis: "Ok."

Apparently, at that point, I laid back down grumbling. I have no recollection of this & neither does my sister. My mom said it would have freaked her out had she not already been awake herself. LOL.

When I was in 3rd-5th grades, my best friend was a sleep walker & talker. I spent the night w/ her almost every weekend & she did all sorts of nutty stuff. One time, I woke because she was leaping up & down on the bed screaming, "There's a snake in the bed! There's a snake in the bed!" We had been out to see "Raiders of the Lost Ark" that night, lol. She never believed her parents & me on that one. I still laugh about some of the stuff she did.

Guest Virginia Dawn

Soon after I was married I screamed at dh in my sleep, "Get out of here!" I was dreaming that my pesky little brother had come in my room.

When dh and I were first married I used to talk in my sleep and sometimes even wake up agitated. One night I must have been having a weird dream. I woke up and then smacked dh in the face. When he asked me what I was doing I said "you are a hamburger and I'm slapping on the bun". Weird! I didn't remember it the next morning but my dh insists that's what I said.:D

Almost punching my MIL (before she was my IL). Dh was moving his parents from N. IL to S. IL adn I was staying with his sister babysitting her boys after school (6 & 7). She got vacation and went S. to see the new place, bringing me with them. When we got there, only MIL was there, the others having gone back N for more stuff. There was only one bed (MIL's) and the foldout couch. SIL and her boys shared the couch and left me to share the bed with MIL. I woke in the middle of the night with my hand not 2 in. from her face. The kind of jerk yourself awake woke up. Scared us both, especially since we barely knew each other. Good news is, it got better from there.

When I was young, I had a full size bed. When Grandma came to visit, I had to share.

Once, my mother's German aunt was visiting for a few days from about 6 hours away. I couldn't have been more than 10 years old.

In the middle of the night, I rolled over ...

and whacked Aunt Minnie right in the face with the back of my hand.

I hope I'm never on the receiving end of that sort of thing.

When I was younger (9 or 10 maybe) I woke my parents by trying desperately to get my horse out of my living room. Of course, my horse was safely in his stall outside and I really don't remember anything but having had a very desperate feeling. Another time, I turned up the thermostat as high as it would go and went back to bed - I vaguely remember doing this. Another time, I clenched my fists so tightly my nails cut my palms - I still have scars from this. Evidently I had a stressed childhood ;).

As an adult, the only thing I can think of is the dreaming I was in the bathroom thing - thankfully, I've never carried through w/the deed.

I sleepwalked a few times back when I was a teenager. And sometimes I still talk in my sleep. But my dh definitely has me beat.

One night he got hot, got out of bed, ripped his pajama shirt off, got back in bed, and went back to sleep. The next morning when he woke up, thoroughly confused, he asked me, "why am I not wearing my shirt? And why is it missing all of its buttons?" :lol:

Another night I woke up to find him inches from my face, glaring at me. Then he said, in a very annoyed voice, "what are you DOING?" "Ummmm, well, I WAS sleeping, DH." Sheesh. :chillpill: He rolled over and went back to sleep, grumbling under his breath.

There are more. It would be entertaining if I wasn't trying to sleep. :tongue_smilie:

I (allegedly) talk in my sleep ALL the time, so my dh and my closest friend (who was my college roommate for 2 yrs and my apartment-mate for another year after that) are always telling stories (unconfirmable, of course) on me. Since they're unconfirmed (ahem), I won't repeat them now. Suffice it to say that I laugh a LOT in my sleep, and I can also be very threatening.

My folks also report that I once got up (as a 10 yr old), took all of the cereal boxes out of the kitchen cabinet, and tried to walk out the back door.

However, this one amuses me a lot (and of course is not about me!): my dear grandmother told me that she was on her honeymoon (in 1922) and the first morning after the wedding, the bellman knocked on the door with a congratulatory telegram for them. Grannie woke up, saw my grandfather, and started screaming, "Who are you?!" (OK, that's not really an "in your sleep" story, but I find the visual image quite funny! What did my grandfather think? What did the bellman think?!) :001_smile:

Apparently I talk in my sleep all the time. Our best stories come from early in our marriage.

Once I dreamed I was talking to someone dear to me who had struggled for many years for drug addiction. In my dream the phone line went dead, and I was absolutely panicked for this person who was dear to me. With her history, I was terribly afraid that she had called me in need. I kept calling out her name, willing the phone to suddenly start working again. Suddenly a voice answered! It was not the person I was calling however. The voice was low, gravelly, and said, "No. It's your husband."

I had been yelling out loud. Dh finally answered. Poor guy.

Another time I dreamed that I was asleep in my bed. In my dream, I clearly saw a little white spider in the bed. I am somewhat phobic about bugs and spiders, and sat up in a panic and started feeling frantically among the covers for the spider. Dh woke up and asked what was wrong. He didn't know yet about my sleeptalking! For a while he really thought there was a spider. Eventually he figured out that I was asleep. He tried to get me to lay down and sleep, but I was too upset about the spider. Finally, he smacked his hand on the bed and claimed to have killed the spider. When I continued fretting about it he pantomimed picking up the spider, and went and flushed it down the toilet. That set my mind at ease and I went to sleep.

Oh, and another one, just for fun. A dear friend of mine was newly married, and her British husband had a terrible cold. One night, in his clipped public-school accent he indignantly said, "Get me my vitamins and my medicine, it is your job you know!" She was horrified at being ordered around like that but decided to get his medicine because he was out of sorts from being sick. When she returned to their bed he was bewildered at why he was being awoken for his medicine. It turns out he had dreamed he was a soldier lying wounded in an army hospital, and the nurse wouldn't take care of him or give him his medicine.

I sleep walk and sleep talk. Apparently, in college, before really big exams I would get up and clean my kitchen with a tooth brush, the floors, counter tops, everything. <sigh> Those were the good old days--what I wouldn't give to have that done now!

I fell asleep at my goddaughter's recently, and she and my daughter had a whole conversation with me, where I was telling them we had to go to bed so that we could milk the cows, etc, in the morn. It clicked with my daughter, who said Ms. Beedle was coming to see us the next day--then my goddaughter told me she had punched Nellie Olsen in the face, and I gave them a lecture on no violence. We have been doing too much Little House on the Prairie around here!

I don't believe I've ever sleep-walked, but I've been known to sleep-talk occasionally. And then there was the time when dh was out of town for a few nights when my youngest dd was about 7 mos old.

Now, dh sleeps very lightly so not only did the dc not sleep in our room as infants, but I kept the monitor turned waaay down and stuffed it under my pillow in the hopes that any sound from it would be too muffled to wake him up. Unfortunately for him, I sleep soundly enough that he still sometimes had to wake me up to deal with the unhappy child. ("Mama Anna, dd is crying." "Yes, I know. I'm on my way." <pause> "No, you're not, you're still in bed." "What?!? . . . Oh. Sorry." <pad, pad, pad.>)

Anyway, one morning while he was gone I woke up to realize that dd hadn't awakened me during the night. <gasp!!> I checked for the monitor under my pillow and couldn't find it. It hadn't fallen off the side of my bed and it hadn't fallen off the head of my bed. Where was it?!? Answer (discovered later in the day): turned off and stuffed into the back of my bedside table drawer, which had then been tightly closed. Was this some kind of subconscious "Leave me alone" or what? (Poor kid!) She was fine, btw.

My mom likes to tell about when my dad first began lecturing at the university where he teaches. She said he used to wake her up in the middle of the night by starting into the lecture (Math or Computing Science) he was going to give the next morning. She couldn't wake him up or get him to stop, so she tried taking notes in order to prove to him what he was doing. That really annoyed him since she had to keep asking him how to spell things, etc. Of course, he wasn't annoyed enough to wake up . . . Finally, she dragged a bunch of audio recording stuff (this was back in the 70's when equip. was much larger) into the bedroom in order to have convincing proof of his lecturing, only to have him (finally) wake up on her and demand to know what she thought she was doing. He then rolled over, went back to sleep, and never bothered her with it again. Problem solved, I guess! :lol:

• 1 year later...

I did a search and found this post in the midst of my responses. It is just TOO hilarious not to resurrect!

I have to add my own "experiences" to the pile first, though. :)

When I was 3, my mom came in my room to wake me up and stepped in a puddle of pee beside my bed. I apparently got up in the middle of the night and squatted right there to potty!

When I was married to my older son's dad, he was the world's worst for talking nonsense in his sleep. One night, I had been up with ds10 (who was about 6 mos old at the time) and he was crying and wouldn't settle to sleep. It was about 2am and I was about to lose my mind. Ex-h had gone to bed because he had to go to work at 6am, but I had a final exam at 8am and I just needed a little break. Anyway, I went to wake him up and said, "B is still CRYING. I need HELP!" and he rolled over, looked me in the eye and said, "I would tell you to take him to Lowes, but I think they are closed now." He then proceeded to roll back over and start snoring again. I gave up. He didn't remember it at.all.

My husband tells me that I do or say weird things all the time in my sleep. The worst when when I was dreaming that I had to kick something...really hard...that was attacking me. I then started to kick the absolute crap out of my husband several times and yell, "LEAVE ME ALONE, DON'T TOUCH ME!!!" and he screamed "ouch, owwww...STOP." Apparenty, I said, "I am sorry...I got new boots," and went back to sleep.

Edited by Tree House Academy

Once I swear there was a bat or bird in my room flying around (I thought I was awake, it seemed so real) so I got up and turned the lights on and searched everywhere. Of course, there was nothing there so I guess I was alseep when I first saw and heard it. Another time I woke up with hickups so I stood up and held my breath to make them go away and then passed out and hit my head on the end table. And finally, I apparently have complete conversations in my sleep to the point where my hubby can not tell if I am awake or not. I guess in these conversations, I am quite the hussy which leads to situations in which I am asking why my hubby woke me up for a parent/teacher conference (;)) only to be informed that I started it. :001_huh: Just today, I told him that from now on, don't assume I am awake unless I say, "I am awake!" :tongue_smilie:

oh my. What a great topic. I used to get night terrors. When I was in college a few of my friends and I went to an out-of-state football game and stayed in a hotel. In the middle of the night I started screaming. Apparently I thought someone was trying to attack us. I screamed and then went right back to bed. I didn't even remember it the next morning but my friends sure did.

When my dh and I were first married I was still waking up a lot not knowing what I was doing. One night when we were both fast asleep I smacked him across the face. When he asked me what I was doing I said "you are a hamburger and I am smacking on the bun". I have no idea why I said that and of course I didn't remember it but my dh did and loves to tell that story.

Thank goodness I don't have night terrors any more. I did give my husband and dad a scare one though when I was delirious from a fever. We were visiting from out of town and staying with my parents with my toddler and newborn daughter. I was supposed to be in a wedding that weekend and my toddler was the flower girl. Unfortunately I came down with an awful stomach flu and couldn't attend the wedding. My mom took my daughter and I stayed home with my baby, my dad and my husband. I was taking a nap and started screaming out of the blue. My husband came rushing in and apparently the screaming got worse and I was telling him to get away from me. My dad heard my yelling and came running in wondering what my husband was doing to me. Of course at that point they realized that I was delirious and had to bring down my temperature. I finally calmed down and went back to sleep. I don't remember any of it.

I woke up at 7 am and started freaking out. I slapped dh's arm and told him to hurry and wake up. Ds10's bus picks him up at 7:15. He's a special needs kid so it take an hour to get him ready for school. I'm throwing on clothes and I'm yelling at dh to get dressed. He starts getting dressed and then stops... "It's Sunday", he says. Poor guy. He worked overnight and had just fallen asleep around 6. We both went back to sleep. I don't remember any of it.

Um...I was well in my 30s and apparently in a deep sleep. I had taken NyQuil, and that was the last time.

I bolted up, jumped to the bathroom, and proceed to pee ... for a long time:D.

Only 1 problem...I never left the bed. My poor DH woke me in horror:lol::lol:. Well, thankfully we had pee pads on the bed for the kids who might sneak in with us.

Repeat: NyQuil and I do NOT mix :D

I use to work EMS and the shift started at 6am. I would go in at 6 and lie down on the couch and try to sleep for another hour if it was quiet. At about 7:15 someone called and I was in the middle of this dream where I was talking to my Aunt... when the phone really rang, I jumped up (still sleeping) and answered the phone "Nutley Aunt Lilline" ... silence... hysterical laughter on the other end!! Then, a little confused, I woke up and said I mean "Nutley Ambulance!" :001_huh: More hysterical laughter. :glare:

The saddest thing I've ever done is forget that my mom called and told me my great-grandmother died. I remembered about 3 months later.

The weirdest thing I have done while asleep is jump up thinking I'm going to save dd from some bad thing. This happens often enough that the bad thing varies. I might think I have to pull her out from in front of a car, or stop her from falling down the stairs or just anything bad.

Does being nearly asleep (or very sleepy) count?

I had just moved to Boston from Atlanta, and DH and I were newly married.

We were reading in bed one night, when I looked up and saw an eerie light shining outside.

I nearly had heart failure. I begged DH to go over and find out what it was. (I thought a spaceship had landed in the parking lot beside our building. And I don't believe in Martians!)

So DH looks out the window, says "there is no spaceship out there", and comes back to bed.

Well, what is it? I demanded.

Dawn. Dawn's early light comes much earlier in Boston. It was around 5 a.m.

I'll never know how DH knew what I was thinking. He claims it is because he knows me so well.

Once when I lived in Florida I dreamed that a giant cockroach was crawling up my thigh. I woke up and yes, a palmetto bug indeed was crawling up my thigh. In my half-sleep I grabbed it and threw it against the wall so hard that it killed the creature. Needless to say I no longer live in Florida.

These are so funny! Maybe funnier than the posts themselves is that a couple of you posted when this thread first started, then posted the same story today! ;)

Someone I know woke up in the night ripping off his CPAP mask. He was dreaming he was catcher in a baseball game and had to take off his facemask to catch a pop-up!

Chelle

Dh had a waterbed with a bookcase headboard, back in the day. He always takes a glass of ice water to bed with him, and at the time we had heavy bottomed crystal glasses. In the middle of the night, for some unknown reason, I threw my arms up over my head, knocking the glass onto my own head. It was a very, very hard smack on the head, followed by a dousing in ice water, followed by us both sitting straight up in bed, confusion, riding the waves of the bed from the sudden movements, and then realizing that we were both soaked.

Dh thought the bed popped so he started stripping the bed and looking for the leak in his barely awake state. I knew what happened and was laughing trying to tell him.

I don't think we had other bedding to us on the bed back then as I remember sleeping on unzipped sleeping bags, on the waterbed, for the rest of the night.

:lol: