Menu

setting up audiobook environment

Okay, this might be a stupid question. Someone just needs to walk me through this all. I have seen people talk about audiobooks on here for quite a while. About a year ago I was ready to set up everything and then looking into it all, it looked like it would be crazy expensive.

How do you build am audiobook collection without breaking the bank?

What thing (technical term, right?) do your children listen to an audiobook through?

I saw someone post in another thread (I didn't want to highjack) that after bathtime, their children go into their room and start an audiobook. If I have two young girls sharing a room, what would I use to make this happen?

I checked into our library and most of their books are on tape. Tape? Really? Then I looked online and macs aren't supported on their virtual library.

Any suggestions?

My children listen to audiobooks from the library mostly. They listen during rest/naptime, bedtime, and sometimes during meals, and in the car if we are traveling. They have a CD player in their bedroom & we have a CD player in the school/play room. (Where they are listening right now!) We don't actually own many audiobooks - we check out at the library. I am sad to hear your library doesn't have CD version! That's a real shame! I have also purchased and downloaded some Jim Weiss audio. My kids love listening to him. They are pretty affordable in MP3 format either from Peace Hill Press and Amazon. I imagine others would have some fabulous suggestions as we're just beginning. :)

Another thing: just like our personal library, once I know what the kids really like to read (and listen to) I have asked for these as birthday and Christmas gifts from the grandparents. There's another idea. Again, I would be so bummed if we couldn't check them out. :( I am so sorry. They are way expensive.

Joining Audible.com has really helped build my library, and I haven't spent much at all. I'm mostly interested in classic literature, and that is where the big bargains are. There was a thread around here somewhere that had dozens of free Kindle books that you can "buy" and that will make you eligible to buy the corresponding title on Audible.com for 99 cents. So I bought the free ebooks and then put the audiobooks on my wish list. (Austen, Dickens, Gaskell, etc.) Then you'll have both the ebook and the audibook. Plus they run specials a lot. They sent me a coupon for $10 of free content today, just because. I already used it for ten of the classic lit books on my wish list.

Kindle has a desktop version, from what I understand. Personally, I use it on my iPad and then broadcast the Audible files on the entertainment center speakers over Apple TV.

But yeah they cost as much as books."

This is the problem. I do not want to buy audiobooks for gifts, as I rather buy the ACTUAL books. My kids are voracious readers, so I feel the hard copy is a better investment. I would still like to supplement with audiobooks so my kids can multi-task. Cleaning room, playing quietly, etc.

Joining Audible.com has really helped build my library, and I haven't spent much at all. I'm mostly interested in classic literature, and that is where the big bargains are. There was a thread around here somewhere that had dozens of free Kindle books that you can "buy" and that will make you eligible to buy the corresponding title on Audible.com for 99 cents. So I bought the free ebooks and then put the audiobooks on my wish list. (Austen, Dickens, Gaskell, etc.) Then you'll have both the ebook and the audibook. Plus they run specials a lot. They sent me a coupon for $10 of free content today, just because. I already used it for ten of the classic lit books on my wish list.

Kindle has a desktop version, from what I understand. Personally, I use it on my iPad and then broadcast the Audible files on the entertainment center speakers over Apple TV.

Ok, I need to search for this thread. 99 cents is doable.

There are a couple of separate links in that thread, make sure you go through all of them. One of them has a list of audiobooks that are completely free once you "purchase" the free Kindle book; and another is a list of 99 cent titles once you purchase the free Kindle book. I think you have to be an Audible member as well, (they are always having new member specials) but once you purchase the books they are yours to keep regardless of whether you are a current member.

Some audiobooks I download and send to my phone or burn to a Cd (if I know they're going to want to listen to it again and again) and some we get from the library. Ours has tons of audio books for kids through adults. We listen through our Dvd player for cds, through an attachment for my phone through the same or in the car. We don't watch a lot of tv, so that replaces tv time for us.

This.

They have some great ones.

Some aren't so good, but once you find a narrator you like you can work through their selection.

I'll come back with our favourite reader.

She has read many of the E Nesbitt's.

ETA: Here she is, Karen Savage. Here is her selection, includes many Anne of... books some Austen etc.

http://archive.org/search.php?query=Karen%20Savage%20AND%20collection%3Aaudio_bookspoetry

Edited by Pod's mum

Thank all you ladies so much!

There are a couple of separate links in that thread, make sure you go through all of them. One of them has a list of audiobooks that are completely free once you "purchase" the free Kindle book; and another is a list of 99 cent titles once you purchase the free Kindle book. I think you have to be an Audible member as well, (they are always having new member specials) but once you purchase the books they are yours to keep regardless of whether you are a current member.

Thank you for tracking this down!!!!!!!

In addition to the above ideas, we also use text-to-speech on kindle a lot...we've downloaded a few hundred free classics.

How well does that work? I have always wondered. We have a pretty old Kindle. Do they all do this?

I didn't have time to read the responses, but my library has a digital library with mp3s of audiobooks to check out, I download them from my computer to the iPod from iTunes.

If you google Lit2go, their site has a nice collection of free audiobooks. It is all classic lit, much like Librivox, they only have a few readers who do a wonderful job. I believe it is a program set up by the University system in FL.

HTH!

Check to see if your local or state library subscribes to the OverDrive service. OverDrive provides ebooks (in formats compatible with Kindle, Nook, etc.) as well as digital (mp3) downloads to many, many libraries. You don't have to have a Kindle or Nook (or iPod, or whatever) to listen to digital audiobooks. My favorite device is a SansaClip+ (small, inexpensive, faster download than for iPods, and clips to your clothes so you can do other things while listening).

If your library has OverDrive, they'll have instructions on their website about how it works. If it doesn't, ask them to subscribe, and consider getting an out-of-state library card at the Free Library of Philadelphia for $35 per year. If you and your children listen to a lot of audiobooks (or read a lot of ebooks), you'll recoup the $35 fee very quickly.

If you live in or near Washington DC, or go on my group trip, you can get a card to DC's digital library (audiobooks and ebooks) for $20 (for out-of-district, you have to go in person to sign up for it, free if you live in DC). They actually didn't charge me for mine, and I've had it for years. Between my local library, DC membership, and the Free Library of PA, I have a large selection of free audiobooks and ebooks to choose from.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Warmly,

Dianna

Check to see if your local or state library subscribes to the OverDrive service. OverDrive provides ebooks (in formats compatible with Kindle, Nook, etc.) as well as digital (mp3) downloads to many, many libraries. You don't have to have a Kindle or Nook (or iPod, or whatever) to listen to digital audiobooks. My favorite device is a SansaClip+ (small, inexpensive, faster download than for iPods, and clips to your clothes so you can do other things while listening).

We do have Overdrive! A year ago when I was looking into all of this, Overdrive didn't have a way to download to Mac computers/devices. Since then, they have made an app. YAH!!!

Now I just have to pick out what we will start with...

Collect library cards from wherever in your state you can get them free. Usually the capital is free. Often other towns too. See if out of state relatives will allow you to download from their card.

I download lots of the 99 cent whispersync books and usually use cheap Dover thrift and evergreen classics, instead of the Kindle books.

I've gotten some at CBD and currclick, especially Christian titles.

Signing up for a free trial subscription at Audible.com gives you a free book the first month. You can get a $50.00 dramatized Bible. Then call and ask to cancel and Audible will offer you 3 months at $7.95 which will give you another 3 free books. Do that for three months and cancel again for real this time. A year later sign up again for 3 months at $7.95 and pick out 3 more expensive titles.

storynory.com

free

a ton of stuff

download as Mp3s ...either burn them to CD or listen on Mp3 player (i have done both, i do not have to burn to cd any more now that my car plays my Ipod, but the cds work too).

also Mp3 can be played on your laptop or computer too

https://scribinglife.wordpress.com/2013/05/18/audio-books/ my blog from just today

we use a lot of audio books, but i would like to see us use more.