Menu

WWE as a writing supplement?

Michelle T

Does anyone plan on using WWE as a writing supplement with an older child? I think it would be beneficial for DS to do some copywork, narration, and dictation, and I need the guidance and structure to make that happen (hence my interest in WWE) but DS is 12, and already using regular writing curriculum.

So, anyone plan on combining? How do you expect to schedule that?

Michelle T

Are you talking about adding WWE and the workbook to your son's schedule? Or adding the elements outlined in WWE to your son's writing program? What writing program do you use?

I think adding the workbook to your son's schedule would not hurt but I think he would be better challenged adding elements from WWE to the program he is already using. This takes detailed planning to make it run smoothly but I think it will be a richer experience for someone that age. My daughter suffers in the narration area although CW has helped her make huge strides but I plan on adding more narration in her day this year as well. Copywork and dictation are no problem for her so I won't add more than CW already assigns.

I am not with a kid that old, but here are some of my thoughts anyway. (That's what you get for asking, HeeHee ;)).

I agree that the workbook is probably not going to be that helpful, it will probably move too slowly, has those huge triple handwriting lines, and are really designed for much younger children.

But I still think that the skills in WWE are probably worth working on if he can't do them easily.

Could you tie them to another subject? or even just some interest of his? I think even once a week would probably work fine. In each year there are only 4 or 5 different skills, based on length of copywork and dictation, completeness of narration, and length of self dictation from narration.

So one day a week you pick a science or history reading, do a copywork and/or dictation from it, then ask some questions and do a narration. I would guess you would move through the first two years in no time, and even if you had to slow down on some of the later weeks skills, I would bet you could still get mostly done with it in an average 36 week year.