Menu

Mortensen math?

Hi, I have a question for those of you who used/ familiar with Mortensen math. I am looking into it for my almost 5 years old daughter who is very bright but not really mature to do a formal math so I thought I would explore something different with her. I don't have unlimited budget for homeschool curricular. We already spent $300.00 on math for my oldest kids so I can not justify myself to spend another $300 for math for my 5 years old. Since Mortensen math is on sale till June 29th, I thought I would buy blocks for her and go from there. I can not afford spending a lot of money on workbooks such as "Smiley face". Has anyone used blocks without beginner level workbooks.

Has anyone used level 4/5 workbooks(algebra/calculus) and what do you think about them?

Have you used their Chemistry workbooks?

I like the idea of early algebra/calculus introduction through manipulatives so I thought it would be beneficial for my oldest kids to play with blocks exploring those concepts.

Thanks a lot.

P.S. Mortensen math website is very strange to navigate and trying to view samples of their above level 2 workbooks wasn't successful. We didn't like the idea of installing an odd application to view the samples and when I tried it didn't work anyway.

I am using CR House of Math video and Education Unboxed videos and Math U See videos with Math U See blocks. I was hoping to get the whole kit n caboodle as soon as I could get Crewton to become a vendor of our charter school but he dropped the ball on that one. My ES tried to contact him and he never followed up. Sigh!

Anyways, I would so love to get my hands on the workbooks and work through them with my little ones but not going to happen until he is a vendor. Education Unboxed has some worksheets online as well as Crewton Ramone's House of Math.

Here is an old thread on the topic, hopefully it will answer some of your questions: http://forums.welltr...ou-heard-of-it/

Thanks, I read all thread regarding the topic on this board and still not sure which way to go. I was actually thinking about getting old Math-u-see TM for Intermediate/Advance math cheaply and see how close they are to teaching the concept I want my kids to learn earlier. Since Mortensen math is not going to be our core curricula, I don't feel comfortable spending a lot of money on workbooks. The worse case I can design my own workbooks after understanding it.

I am still planning getting a set of Mortesen math blocks and may be level 4/5 workbooks for my older child to play with math at her spare time.

Anyways, I would so love to get my hands on the workbooks and work through them with my little ones but not going to happen until he is a vendor. Education Unboxed has some worksheets online as well as Crewton Ramone's House of Math.

I checked Education Unboxed site but couldn't find any worksheets there. Am I missing anything?

I haven't seen the workbooks, but I don't think they'll be adding much to your math program. Have you looked at the Crewton Ramone videos? They pretty much explain everything, from counting to calculus. You don't need the workbooks, you don't need your kids to write anything down. I just asked my 6-year old kindergartener what 26+35 equals. He came up with the correct answer in his mind and was able to explain how he did it. He did not use the manipulatives. The only thing we do is play once a week with the blocks, and we haven't even been doing that for a year yet. So in my opinion you will not need to order these books, only use what you already have.

ETA: I meant nothing besides the blocks.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest amothersite

There is a Crewton Ramone video where he flips through the pages of the Mortensen books.

I have the MUS classic Primary & Advanced books & thought they they would help with Mortensen math work, but they DO NOT help. They do not show how to do the problems with the block, nor do they talk about how to use the blocks. You would still need to get the videos. However, watching the EducationUnboxed along with Crewton Ramone videos help greatly help in understanding the Mortensen method.

If you want problems to use with blocks, go to http://www.mathusee.com/e-learning/worksheets/ to help come up with problems to use. I really like the MUS blocks better than cuisenair blocks to visualize subtraction and negative numbers better. I have both and use both, but I like MUS better; if you only have the $$ for cuisenaire you will still need a set of base 10 blocks and then you will be able to to almost any problem.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I have scoured the internet for Crewton's videos. Not proud to admit: I need more explanation.  I don't understand the WHY when it comes to multi-digit multiplication, or his algebraic equations. His five year old clearly gets it, I don't. The videos I have found have (not to be dramatic) revolutionized the way my boys view math. They HATED it before.   What's interesting is, we were doing Math U see. They are, in theory, the same approach, but MAN- what a difference it made to find Crewton's videos.  Was I just making it boring? Is it the way he presents it? I don't know, I just know Crewton made me realize I don't have to keep saying to my younger son, "No, don't try to do multiplication yet, you'll get confused." 

Having said all that, the only videos I see regarding mutli-digit multiplication, and algebra, assume the viewer understands the model. I asked for a bit of clarification, and hopefully he will respond. I'm going to pay for a password and see if he lists those videos there. I can't afford Mortensen math. Not after all I have spent on curricula.