What is the antonym to "strawberries?"

Aelwydd

What is the antonym to "strawberries?"  

228 members have voted

1. 1. Is it...

• vegetables
    • steaks
    • A bunch of coconuts.
    • What the #$%! kind of question is this?
    • Other -- please name below.

**UPDATE**

My sister just texted me that her dh did call the teacher back. She told him, "The point of the homework exercise was just to discuss antonyms and that the point of the exercise wasn't to get the right answer."

My sister reasonably objected: So why did my son's answer get marked as incorrect? Why did you write something down as the "correct answer" if the point is just to discuss it?

The teacher said, oh the grades don't count. The assignment is just for discussion!

(Discussion of antonyms, which apparently includes irrational questions provided with even more irrational answers from the teacher.)

Did I mention this is third grade?

I asked my sister, purely as a matter of scientific curiosity, how she was able to prevent her eyeballs from rolling out of her head?

This was her way of backtracking when she finally figured out that she couldn't win based on actual logic or knowledge of English. In that case, the classic retreat is "It is just for discussion". People who have set themselves up as the expert have a remarkably hard time saying that they were wrong.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

**UPDATE**

My sister just texted me that her dh did call the teacher back. She told him, "The point of the homework exercise was just to discuss antonyms and that the point of the exercise wasn't to get the right answer."

My sister reasonably objected: So why did my son's answer get marked as incorrect? Why did you write something down as the "correct answer" if the point is just to discuss it?

The teacher said, oh the grades don't count. The assignment is just for discussion!

(Discussion of antonyms, which apparently includes irrational questions provided with even more irrational answers from the teacher.)

I asked my sister, purely as a matter of scientific curiosity, how she was able to prevent her eyeballs from rolling out of her head?

You really have to quit updating for today. My "Wow" brain is on overload. This episode is truly good enough for one of those "Can't believe it is real" articles or books.

And they wonder why Americans are so bad at basic knowledge...

I think I just broke my brain trying to follow her logic.

You don't DO things like that with 3rd graders. They're still in the "compliant want to please the teacher" stage and they want a "RIGHT" answer, not some nebulous mamby pamby "we were just discussing" crap.

I read this to my husband and he said, "And people wonder why we want to home school..." and walked away.

:iagree:

**UPDATE**

That is just cruel.

*sigh* yes people from California don't understand how the rest of us live.

:laugh:

I have had some good strawberries. But you can't always tell by their looks if they will be good or not. So they are deceptive.

I do now. SIGH.

I'm in Vegas now. It's a total crap shoot if ANY fruit tastes fresh and yummy!

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya

If there really wasn't a wrong answer (or a right answer), then why did she mark it wrong (or grade it at all, for that matter). Oh. my. goodness.

But I couldn't get over this oh-so-obvious example of how public school curricula is not designed so much as to educate, but to confuse, stymie, and ultimately drill into kids that it's not theirs to understand or to reason, but simply to ACCEPT and to OBEY.

What curriculum was it? It sounds to me more like something the power-tripping teacher came up with on her own.

I argued with more than one teacher when I was a student and they were wrong about something. If that happened to one of my kids, I wouldn't be able to resist battling this one as an adult.

I don't think I'd be able to let that go. I'd have to tell some sort of higher up what kind of imbecile they were dealing with. So, first it was wrong and marked as so, and the parents were going to have to come in for a conference so she could explain to them how it was wrong. Then, it was just "for discussion" in a third grade class, yet marked wrong. No, just admit you were wrong. It happens sometimes.

That's mind boggling... My brain hurts trying to follow the logic. What's even more astounding is that this woman is left in charge of children all day.

Unfortunately though, the whole "getting the right answer isn't the point" mentality is far too widespread these days. I think our kids deserve to know that some things really DO have right and wrong answers.

Wait, so the question was " for discussion". The third-grader answered with a discussion. And got Marked wrong. This is a great system.

I agree, the teacher realized that she screwed up and is backtracking now. I think I had this teacher in elementary school. We never did get along.

If it was for discussion, why would she have marked it incorrect when he came up with a discussion point and wrote it down? And why would she have told you what she thought was the "correct" answer (presumably, one that she would not have marked incorrect)? I agree with all the others. She's trying to cover her tracks, and she's being as stupid (are we allowed to say stupid here?) about it as she was with the original question. I mean, her explanation isn't even plausible.

Schrodinger's Strawberry

Schrodinger's strawberries? :D

I think this should become the new class mascot. Your sis & her dh should get cute tees w/ Schrodinger's Strawberry printed on them & distribute them to all the kids in class to wear on the last day of school.

I think this should become the new class mascot. Your sis & her dh should get cute tees w/ Schrodinger's Strawberry printed on them & distribute them to all the kids in class to wear on the last day of school.

Until you take a bite you do not know for a fact if it is a strawberry or............................................

the antonym of a strawberry?

I can't stop laughing. That would be brilliant!

I have to go now, my head is going to explode.

That's mind boggling... My brain hurts trying to follow the logic. What's even more astounding is that this woman is left in charge of children all day.

Unfortunately though, the whole "getting the right answer isn't the point" mentality is far too widespread these days. I think our kids deserve to know that some things really DO have right and wrong answers.

Yes, except the "it's not about getting it right" device is only employed when the teacher is dumber than a third grader.

In the end, I don't know if they will talk to her or not. But I couldn't get over this oh-so-obvious example of how public school curricula is not designed so much as to educate, but to confuse, stymie, and ultimately drill into kids that it's not theirs to understand or to reason, but simply to ACCEPT and to OBEY.

Scary--I immediately thought "1984"! :scared:

(said in my most Hermione-ish voice) "What an idiot!" :laugh:

I love it. I want one, too. It will feature goateed strawberries.

If it was for discussion, why would she have marked it incorrect when he came up with a discussion point and wrote it down? And why would she have told you what she thought was the "correct" answer (presumably, one that she would not have marked incorrect)? I agree with all the others. She's trying to cover her tracks, and she's being as stupid (are we allowed to say stupid here?) about it as she was with the original question. I mean, her explanation isn't even plausible.

Yes, precisely, exactly, indeed! And the hell of it is she probably thinks she's cleverly sidestepped the entire question.

My sister won't take this higher because she is afraid her ds would get the punishment for it. I agree. The biggest bullies in school are often the teachers and the faculty.

If it were me, I probably wouldn't talk to the principal until I pulled my kid. I would expend all my energy finding ways to mock this teacher (really like Schroedinger's Strawberry t-shirt) in the meantime.

Maybe send her a gift of strawberry wine for her end-of-the-year gift.

Ha ha ... I asked this question on my FB feed for the fun of it and my husband just posted this:

"The teacher who instigated this insanity must have her teaching credentials reviewed — with an eye on dismissing her all-together.

The correct answer is "BOOT". As in — BOOT TO THE HEAD. NO SCHOOL FOR YOU!"

The antonym of strawberries is bananas, of course...

...teacher is going bananas for sure.

LOL... My daughter's answer was bananas. When I asked her why, she said because they're big and not red. LOL... What the heck is it with my kids and fruit? Must be dinner time....

I would expend all my energy finding ways to mock this teacher (really like Schroedinger's Strawberry t-shirt) in the meantime.

Ah, you're a subversive like me. :lol: ;)

If your sis doesn't want to get a custom tee, Redbubble has some good strawberry-contender tees:

http://www.redbubble...grid&style=mens

What I'd wear when I went to pick up my kid from class:

:001_tt2:

I asked my kids what's the opposite of strawberries:

DS: anti-matter strawberries

DD: wait... what? Is this some kind of animal/vegetable/mineral game? Strawberries would be "vegetables" so the opposite would be an animal or mineral.

DS: Or a mineralized animal. The opposite of small, edible, colorful vegetable matter would be large, inedible, colorless, mineralized animal matter. I vote that the opposite of strawberries is a large, transparent, poisonous, jellyfish fossil.

I'd like to see the teacher mark that one wrong. :lol:

Jackie

My first thought was that I would love to be invited for a conference to discuss the antonym of strawberries just for the giggles!

But now I'm thinking it's kind of sad that the rest of the class now thinks that the opposite of strawberry is vegetable. It doesn't even fit in an analogy!! Strawberry is to fruit as broccoli is to vegetable. Clearly the opposite is broccoli! Poor kids. I bet they now think the opposite of dog is cat. It was probably supposed to be on the test. I'm sure the teacher did some research to defend herself and educate the parents in preparation for the conference and then realized she was very wrong. She's backtracking. It would be awesome if she had laughed about it and then went to the kids and explained her mistake. Based on her ridiculous cover up attempt, I bet it didn't happen that way. She probably will just take the dog/cat question off of her test this week.