Menu

College boy needing pots and pans for apartment is an excuse to by new stuff for ME, right?

So, College Boy is leaving Saturday for his summer research position at school and will be living in an apartment over the summer. I have been looking at thrift shops for pots and pans, dishes, etc but most of the stuff I saw was crappier than what I used in college (back when college students lived like paupers, counting change to buy dinner.) So, if we need to buy pots and pans, I got to thinking ... why should he get the new stuff and I live with my stuff that is 30 years old? Maybe I should get new stuff and give him mine? If we can't buy used, does anyone have any recommendations on what I should get? I don't need top of the line stuff - mine was copper-bottom Revereware. I don't want non-stick - I use cast-iron for that. Just something that will last. What do you recommend?

If I were buying myself a set of pots and pans right now I'd get the Cuisinart Chef's Classic line. Not top of the line but well-reviewed, classic, stainless steel.

I'm interested to hear what others would recommend. I kind of need some new pans so I've been researching this lately.

Oh, and I definitely think you should pass on your old pans and get the new ones for yourself.

Your logic is absolutely sound. I feel sure I will soon be adopting it. I sure do love those colorful Le Creuset pieces....

Who am I kidding? I can't afford that stuff! But I do agree that CB should get the hand-me-downs. Entitlement attitude prevention, I say. :laugh:

I would look at reviews on amazon or somewhere that you can see a big selection and compare.

I got Calphalon stainless for a wedding gift 8 years ago and they've been great.

I tell my husband that I need good tools to do my job in the kitchen (and I use them every single day) just like he needs good tools to do his handyman stuff around the house. :)

If buying new, I'd definitely keep the new set.

If still looking for used, see if there are any estate auctions near you. We've found really good deals for used, but still quite good, kitchen stuff at those. We've rarely found anything good at thrift stores or yard sales as most people keep their good stuff.

I had planned on buying used, but haven't found anything worth getting (sorry - not paying $10 for a pot worth $20 new.) I don't have a ton of time to shop garage sales as it has been a busy two weeks and all of us are getting over being sick. I basically have this afternoon to shop. Most estate sales don't start until Friday around here.

For a value-conscience choice (meaning high quality and low cost) I would look at the Tramontina stainless "clad" sets from Walmart. You can get whole sets of these "All Clad knock-offs" for the price of a single piece of the real deal. Reviews on these have been outstanding. I don't have any myself (but still remember the fiscal pain of my All Clad purchases).

Tramontina also makes some lice looking enameled cast iron.

If price is no object (yea, sure) the Matfer-Bourgeat heavy copper and stainless clad French cookware is the pinnacle of the cooking arts. We have a set of these by way of a generous wedding gift, and a day does not pass that I don't appreciate cooking on these.

Heavy carbon steel skillets are overlooked by home cooks. They are rugged, cook beautifully, and are relatively inexpensive. Variants on these are sold as black steel and mineral steel.

The cheap thin-walled stainless stockpots are no good for cooking, but for a pot to boil spaghetti or steam corn, one doesn't need a $400 pot. So these can serve a niche.

Adding cast-iron and or enameled cast-iron pieces is always nice. Mrs Spy Car has a gift for "thrift-store finds."

We have a lot of All Clad. If I had to replace it I would look at the Tramontia.

Bill

I'm in a very bad mood today just so you know. I just want to suggest you not make a habit of giving your kids your old stuff and you get new. I'm almost 40 and my mom still does this with me.

She'll ask me what I want (for birthday, Xmas, whatever) and I'll give her suggestions. She will then buy what I wanted, keep it, and give me her old stuff. It gets old. It bothers me.

I wanted a new set of cookie cutters stainless steel. She bought the set for herself and gave me her old plastic ones. Which I couldn't use because I have celiac and can't use used cookie cutters or other cooking/baking tools.

I wanted a new toaster oven. She bought the model I wanted and gave me her old one.

I wanted tablecloths. Same deal. She gave me her old ones and she bought new ones.

So on and so on.

Now, when she asks what I want I tell her things that I know she would never have/use such as exercise dvds and equipment.

Sometimes it's nice to get new things and not hand me downs. But then I'm a married woman, with my own house, my own kids, and my mom has been giving me her hand me downs for forever.....so not really the same situation as your ds.

Just don't try to give him your used bed sheets. That will ick him out. Ask me how I know.

I'm in a very bad mood today just so you know. I just want to suggest you not make a habit of giving your kids your old stuff and you get new. I'm almost 40 and my mom still does this with me.

She'll ask me what I want (for birthday, Xmas, whatever) and I'll give her suggestions. She will then buy what I wanted, keep it, and give me her old stuff. It gets old. It bothers me.

I wanted a new set of cookie cutters stainless steel. She bought the set for herself and gave me her old plastic ones. Which I couldn't use because I have celiac and can't use used cookie cutters or other cooking/baking tools.

I wanted a new toaster oven. She bought the model I wanted and gave me her old one.

I wanted tablecloths. Same deal. She gave me her old ones and she bought new ones.

So on and so on.

Now, when she asks what I want I tell her things that I know she would never have/use such as exercise dvds and equipment.

Sometimes it's nice to get new things and not hand me downs. But then I'm a married woman, with my own house, my own kids, and my mom has been giving me her hand me downs for forever.....so not really the same situation as your ds.

Just don't try to give him your used bed sheets. That will ick him out. Ask me how I know.

You crack me up!! My mom was like that - only clothes. Granted, she was nicely dressed for a woman of her age. But I really didn't want to dress like I'm over 60!!

No, I will not make it a practice to "gift" him with used stuff. I am just working frugally outfitting his 3 month apartment stay (he moves back to the dorm in the fall.) I don't see why a 19yo college student should have nicer kitchen stuff than his parents who spend WAY more time in the kitchen :laugh: .

Sorry you are having a bad day! But I think your mother is an anomaly. Passing down used to help launch a kid in h firisst flat is not the same as displaced birthday/holiday gifting. That's so wrong! Of course it hurts you. Not cool at all.

So on and so on.

Thanks for the recommendations, Bill. I knew you'd have something to add. I haven't totally given up hope on finding something at garage sales. Apparently, this is the weekend for the huge subdivision sales. I may just give us a time limit and say that is enough. I was sick last weekend (while I was out of town) and he has been down with a horrendous cold (today is the first day since Tuesday that he has spend more than 2 hours out of bed.) Energy is in short supply. Oh, and I think I hear the dog barking for his walk and laundry calling.

Thanks for the recommendations, Bill. I knew you'd have something to add. I haven't totally given up hope on finding something at garage sales. Apparently, this is the weekend for the huge subdivision sales. I may just give us a time limit and say that is enough. I was sick last weekend (while I was out of town) and he has been down with a horrendous cold (today is the first day since Tuesday that he has spend more than 2 hours out of bed.) Energy is in short supply. Oh, and I think I hear the dog barking for his walk and laundry calling.

I'm down with a terrible cold too. What's the deal with that?

It was 100 degrees here when I got sick (but has cooled down today). That seems wrong. Getting a cold, I mean.

Anyway, there is always that tension between piecing together interesting pieces (hopefully found for great bargains) and just buying a set. I guess I do both. You should see my pot-rack! Massive.

I do think the Tramontina sets are such a bargain that you could build off them as a "base" and feel pretty good about your thrift and still have some nice new cookware.

Bill

ETA: Here is a link to the Tramontina stainless clad sets at Walmart:

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=Tramontina&adid=22222222220202261757&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=25674617551&wl4=&veh=sem

You crack me up!! My mom was like that - only clothes. Granted, she was nicely dressed for a woman of her age. But I really didn't want to dress like I'm over 60!!

No, I will not make it a practice to "gift" him with used stuff. I am just working frugally outfitting his 3 month apartment stay (he moves back to the dorm in the fall.) I don't see why a 19yo college student should have nicer kitchen stuff than his parents who spend WAY more time in the kitchen :laugh: .

Doesn't a temp kitchen for a 19 yr old guy just need a microwave, a fork, and about 50 cases of ramon noodles? :lol:

Doesn't a temp kitchen for a 19 yr old guy just need a microwave, a fork, and about 50 cases of ramon noodles? :lol:

Too funny. That may be what HE thinks, but I know that wouldn't be healthy for him. I want him to just have a few basics he can make for himself. My 5'11", 135 lb boy gets cranky without regular infusions of protein and fruits/veggies.

Sorry, but I think you really, really should try All-clad. I would have said a pot was a pot, sure heavier was better, but once you've cooked in this stuff, you will not go back and it will last forever.

Well, if I won the lottery, I would consider it :laugh: . But, having one kid in college and hyperventilating about how to pay for the other two, I can't see spending that much on a pot when my Revereware has done fine for 30 years. One All-clad pot would cost more than double what I paid for an entire set of my old pots/pans. I'm not even all that worried about replacing mine. I just thought it would be silly to give my kid new pots and pans and keep the older ones.

Well, if I won the lottery, I would consider it :laugh: . But, having one kid in college and hyperventilating about how to pay for the other two, I can't see spending that much on a pot when my Revereware has done fine for 30 years. One All-clad pot would cost more than double what I paid for an entire set of my old pots/pans. I'm not even all that worried about replacing mine. I just thought it would be silly to give my kid new pots and pans and keep the older ones.

If you win the lottery, get Bourgeat. They make All Clad (which aren't bad) pale in comparison.

Here is a link to my favorite pan ever:

http://www.knifemerchant.com/product.asp?productID=3976&gclid=CO6I5PaPm7cCFYU5Qgod4zcACw

Bill

I get that, so far I have three frying pans (never buy the 6 qt saute pan, its way too big, I found this out the hard way) and a roaster which sold on special as a lasagna pan.

This brings me to my little tip: All-clad puts out special pots and pans, look for these. They usually last for months but they are a steal.

I suggest you splurge on this: http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/all-clad-d5-stainless-steel-nonstick-covered-fry-pan/?cm_src=AutoCatRel It's one of my three frying pans, and I use it a lot.

Yes, you can buy a whole set of pans for that price, but it will last long enough for you to will it to some blessed child and it will act like it is nonstick when it is not.

I'm down with a terrible cold too. What's the deal with that?

It was 100 degrees here when I got sick (but has cooled down today). That seems wrong. Getting a cold, I mean.

Anyway, there is always that tension between piecing together interesting pieces (hopefully found for great bargains) and just buying a set. I guess I do both. You should see my pot-rack! Massive.

I do think the Tramontina sets are such a bargain that you could build off them as a "base" and feel pretty good about your thrift and still have some nice new cookware.

Bill

ETA: Here is a link to the Tramontina stainless clad sets at Walmart:

http://www.walmart.c...51&wl4=&veh=sem

First of all, I am on day 3 of the Cold From Hades. Seriously, it is a beautiful 80 degrees out there and I can barely make it out of bed.

Second, thanks so much for the tip on this pan set. It never would have occurred to me to check at Walmart. I would have a hard time buying a full set since I have a couple of nice stainless pieces and then really prefer cast iron or enameled for a couple of things . . . but that's a pretty good price.

First of all, I am on day 3 of the Cold From Hades. Seriously, it is a beautiful 80 degrees out there and I can barely make it out of bed.

Second, thanks so much for the tip on this pan set. It never would have occurred to me to check at Walmart. I would have a hard time buying a full set since I have a couple of nice stainless pieces and then really prefer cast iron or enameled for a couple of things . . . but that's a pretty good price.

Recommending anything from Walmart makes me *shudder* (I think I've only been in one of their stores 3 or 4 times in my life) but these seem like a really good deal.

I hope you feel better soon. Mrs Spy Car says this cold is sweeping Los Angeles. I'm miserable.

Bill