Menu

Our dog is dying

Shelly in IL

I hate it. It is breaking my heart. My husband is out of town till this afternoon. My poor girl stopped eating a couple days ago, and now it looks as if she is refusing water - she's been throwing it up, so pretty sure she's dehydrated. Bless her heart, she's been my security alarm, watch dog, playmate, and the only reason I sleep when my husband is gone so much. It just sucks. I know there are terrible things happening in the world, and this is just a blip on the radar, but she is our lovey. And it is awful to sit back and let her die.

I'm so sorry.

When I knew it might be the last time I'd see him, I spent some time with one of my dog clients, just petting him and telling him how much he meant to me, saying good dog over and over. That was just a client; I am dreading saying goodbye to my own dog.

I am so sorry! I completely understand. I, too, have a special watch dog who helps me relax when dh is working all night. She is in her twilight years as well. Don't feel guilty spending extra time with her in the next few days. I hope her passing is uncomplicated and quick. :grouphug:

I hate it. It is breaking my heart. My husband is out of town till this afternoon. My poor girl stopped eating a couple days ago, and now it looks as if she is refusing water - she's been throwing it up, so pretty sure she's dehydrated. Bless her heart, she's been my security alarm, watch dog, playmate, and the only reason I sleep when my husband is gone so much. It just sucks. I know there are terrible things happening in the world, and this is just a blip on the radar, but she is our lovey. And it is awful to sit back and let her die.

I was once in the very same position with a dh working hours away, alone in a rural area and my only companion died.

I can only tell you what we did.

After I mourned and grieved her, I did get another dog so I could sleep again at night and he is still with us now.

Can you call a mobile vet who will come to your place to euthanize if you do not want to wait until she naturally dies, however, one of our dogs stopped eating and drinking and died the next day. I am thinking it won't be long now.

I always spent extra time with them if I can see it coming, just soothing them and telling them how wonderful they are...

I remember the pain vividly. You are in my thoughts!

I took her to the vet and got fluids for her. I know she's on the way out, but I have to have my husband home for this! She looks considerably more perky, but if she's not eating and drinking on her own, it is but a heartache to see her look better!

We will decide when when my dh gets home this afternoon.

Oh, I'm so sorry. My dog is all of the below things to me, as well, and he's dying - just more slowly. I'm glad your husband was coming home. I'd want mine, too. Hugs!

"Bless her heart, she's been my security alarm, watch dog, playmate, and the only reason I sleep when my husband is gone so much."

Well, today was the day. We cried, we laughed, we felt terrible and we felt relief. Airedales are awesome animals and we will definitely have another. She was a blessing and a gift to our family. Thanks for the hugs, I needed them today, but not as much as my husband. He held her as she was injected. Tears flowing, breaking heart, he showed the boys how to be a man. Love to both of them.