Menu

Just got the 5th grade CAT

NotSoObvious

Really? The math is incredibly easy. No percentage problems, no decimals, and all the fraction problems have the same denominators. I actually think it looks easier than the fourth grade test. What the heck? (Also, I can't use the enter button on my laptop when I am on the forums. Does anyone know why?)

Yeah, it's not exactly a difficult test. I think my kid also got a 99. I wasn't exactly surprised. That said, I just need it to be legal. I am not using it for anything else. I am glad my state accepts it, that it is affordable and that I am allowed to administer it. Easy peasy.

As I started reading through the test, even the language seems almost identical to the 4th grade test. Weird.

Yep, quick and easy for us here, too. I was going to just write our own evaluations, but decided it would just be easier to test rather than tempting the school district with a grey area.

I could be wrong, but I think for the 1970 CAT, Level 3 is the test used for grades 4 - 6, and the test is just normed differently for each grade.

Yes. The same test level covers three grades. But in general I agree it's easy. My kids have almost uniformly scored in the upper 90's. But it covers the requirements and it's cheap and easy to administer, so I'm good with it.

Well, my son struggled with it a bit and found some things easy, but definitely not most of it :) He's got dyslexia and dysgraphia. My brother (who is a college professor) said that standardized tests like the CAT aren't all that concerned about the kids at the top or bottom. Where the big percentile differentiation is most useful is in the 25-75th range. For kids who are ahead, the test will be super easy (that would be my daughter and my middle son). For those who are right on target or struggle a bit (like my 11 year old), it's more useful.

Yep, CAT is easy. My dd is smart, but not gifted. She took the 4th grade version this spring and missed exactly 1 question.

Look at it this way. A lot of people don't know it's so easy, so the next time the nay-sayers question your decision to homeschool, you can show them the test scores and impress them. ;)

I could be wrong, but I think for the 1970 CAT, Level 3 is the test used for grades 4 - 6, and the test is just normed differently for each grade.

I didn't know this but it makes total sense now. Ugh. It's a means to an end, but I guess I won't put any stock in it.