Menu

New "Cover Story" writing curriculum coming this summer

Is anyone else eagerly awaiting the new middle-grade writing curriculum coming this summer from the "One Year Adventure Novel" people?

http://www.coverstor....com/index.html

I just stumbled onto this the other day, and am very interested. I was actually rather shocked that I hadn't heard of this yet, as I've been reseraching writing curricula ad nauseum. The expected release date in July.

It sounds like a fun, engaging program.

There isn't a ton of information on the website yet, but I thought that some of you might appreciate a heads up before you buy next year's writing materials.

Well, the website says that it will be $149. Definitely not cheap! I would pay that, though, if it would help my son be more interested in writing.

I've been very close to ordering IEW for next year. I just wish that "Cover Story" had some samples available to help with the decision.

My 17yo loves OYAN! Can't tell you how many things I've bought over the years that weren't used. But, OYAN has been used over and over. Definitely worth the price here. 17yo also requested that we buy her "Other Worlds" for Christmas a couple of years ago. Another hit.

It will be interesting to see this new product.

I am anxious to see this. I have WWS and Essentials in Writing on the shelf for next year, but can't decided between them. Ds is going into 8th and needs major writing focus. We have struggled with other curricula due to my lack of confidence teaching the subject and his lack of interest in the topics curricula choose for the assignments. He enjoys being creative, but needs work on the process.

I have also considered IEW with the TWSS using our own topics. Or, The Lost Tools of Writing, or....you get the picture.

I was looking at OYAN and saw Cover Story. OYAN looks good for the future, but ds needs more of the basics for now. He needs work on paragraphs and essays. I am hoping that CS will take care of these areas while allowing them to follow their own interests. I hope that the ''non-fiction articles'' it speaks of are essay type writing. I would love to have writing be fun, interesting, and taught by someone else; and I will happily pay the price for it if it meets our needs.

I emailed home school buyers co-op yesterday since they had OYAN last year. They said they have contacted the publisher about a group buy, but don't know if it will happen.

I was looking at OYAN and saw Cover Story. OYAN looks good for the future, but ds needs more of the basics for now. He needs work on paragraphs and essays. I am hoping that CS will take care of these areas while allowing them to follow their own interests. I hope that the ''non-fiction articles'' it speaks of are easy type writing. I would love to have writing be fun, interesting, and taught by someone else; and I will happily pay the price for it if it meets our needs.

I emailed home school buyers co-op yesterday since they had OYAN last year. They said they have contacted the publisher about a group buy, but don't know if it will happen.

Oh, good! I'm glad that you did that.

I think that there are a lot of us with students who aren't quite ready for Writing with Skill.

If this program would make writing seem a little more fun for my unenthusiastic writer, it would be wonderful! I just hope that it is really ready in July.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have a guess as to how long this program takes to complete? I see that it is for 6th to 8th grades, so will it take all three years?

ETA: I just read some more and found the following, "Students create the content for their own magazine in one school year." So, I guess that it will take one year.

Dd is too young for this now but I have plans on buying it for her for 6th (maybe 7th). I think with the videos (and the sample was not a short little clip) it is priced reasonably. I love that they also include a grammar DVD for review. Since we do not do grammar every year this will be enough to review for her.

I am unclear on how this is also offering literature, maybe literary terms are covered, but I did not see any literature listed. This would not be our literature so it really does not matter, but i was curious.

I plan to use this with my 5th grader. I figure if the lessons get to long then I will break up the work into a few days. He has time to take longer. But learning to write better will take time and this looks like it will make it fun for him.

That's a good plan. I'm pretty sure that we'll be using this next year for 5th grade also. We can take our time, but we really need to do some writing every day, and this program looks like it imakes writing as about as exciting as it can get!

I am unclear on how this is also offering literature, maybe literary terms are covered, but I did not see any literature listed. This would not be our literature so it really does not matter, but i was curious.

I see what you mean. The site does say that is includes "Literature," but I'm not sure how that will happen. Maybe they read a few stories/poems as examples during the course?