Menu

Studying/Working Abroad - the importance of it in a global economy

Joan in GE

I reported that as spam due to the link....Nan = it says you liked this post - did you check the link?

What link? I don't remember posting a link. I can't think what I would want to link for this thread. I don't have any statistics or nice helpful sites to contribute. What was the reference? I've been really distracted recently so I might just not remember the details of this thread and might not remember that I tried to link something. Sorry if I caused a problem. Sounds like somebody cleaned it up, whatever it was.

Nan

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arg - so much to say and no time to say it. Probably no time for the next week, what with graduations and funerals, and helping people to migrate. I don't even have time to read this weekend's posts. Hopefully this thread will still be going by then.

Julie - I just want to say that I, too, have felt the conflicting pulls of family and travel. As far as I can tell, almost everyone has. Our priorities are firmly in the family camp, despite having globe-trotting children. We gave up our dream and my husband has changed jobs numerous times in order to keep us living close to my parents. The same with my sister's husbands. When we travel, we usually do it with my parents. I am happiest when I can take my cat, the dog, my parents, and my children. I just don't talk about those travels much because they take place in the USA and don't really have anything to do with homeschooling. Our priorities are very clear - sailing first, traveling second. For awhile, we said that if the opportunity arose for us to live overseas for awhile, we would take it, but at this point in our lives, our children are too old and too young and our parents too old for us to do that. I definately inherited my father's wandering foot, but it takes the form of liking to go sailing or to my parents every weekend and liking to spend the summer traveling. I am hoping at least one of my children will want to continue the clan living situation they grew up in. I worked hard to give my children wings, but I worked hard to give them roots as well. I just don't talk about that part as much. I just want to say that I understand what you are saying and that I think your points about roots belong in every conversation about wings. Elderly parents almost always come up when I speak to anybody who is living abroad, or even on the other side of the US.

Family is important. Careers are important. Better opportunities for oneself and one's family are important. There has been conflict between these three forever. Even with my very limited knowledge, I can think of multiple instances when these are mentioned. It is the theme of many myths, folk tales, great books, and soap operas.

Hugs,

Nan

What link? I don't remember posting a link. I can't think what I would want to link for this thread. I don't have any statistics or nice helpful sites to contribute. What was the reference? I've been really distracted recently so I might just not remember the details of this thread and might not remember that I tried to link something. Sorry if I caused a problem. Sounds like somebody cleaned it up, whatever it was.

Nan

There was a post (with an Oakley Sunglasses link), right above that one of mine, that is now deleted which had a "Nan in Mass" likes this!

That made it really confusing.

In addition, it said that her kids had done well "with Joan's help" - a poster with 8 posts that I hadn't recognized at all.

It took them awhile to delete it, even though I'd reported it.

So I was asking you if you had checked the link (before "liking" it).

If you hadn't "liked" that post, I couldn't figure out how the "like" could have gotten on it.

All this is totally irrelevant to this thread; thankfully it doesn't happen often...

Joan

Very interesting link....I see the state where I grew up is very close to the bottom...

The state that we live in is at the bottom. I grew up almost bilingual in French due to our public school system that offered advanced classes at a fairly early age.....They were a pull out a few times a week but, we spoke French for the whole hour. I was able to take upper level college lit classes in Jr. and Sr. year in high school as a result. But, that was then....