Math Mathews

Stack the States/Countries

Reading Raven

Freefall Spelling

Flash Note Derby

Monster Sushi

the Brave video game

Harry Potter Spells

Any apps your kids love? Especially educational. I'd especially love to know about one that is more advanced than Reading Raven but not to the level of book reading.

Apps that have been a flop:

Monster Physics

Numbers League

I See Sam

Thanks all!

I have an older kid (middle/high school). He's enjoying

-Chem Lab (basic chemical formula memorizations)

-Civil War Today (interactive civil war newspaper)

-Disney's The Presidents (one of the most entertaining apps we've gotten so far. Even the 3yo loves it!)

-Duolingo

Total bust:

-Elementeo (not fun at all)

-a timeline app by Houghton-Mifflin, I think. The events are so sparsely listed that it's not worth it as an aid to any study, and the few "games" are all rote memorization within a simple matching game. Nothing fun. It was added and quickly abandoned.

I apologize in advance for the thread hijack, but SpyCar, can you tell me a little about DragonBox 5+? We downloaded it today and after 25 minutes, my 8 year old had finished all the levels. Can this be? (I was busy with her little sister's swim lesson, but this is what she tells me.).

I apologize in advance for the thread hijack, but SpyCar, can you tell me a little about DragonBox 5+? We downloaded it today and after 25 minutes, my 8 year old had finished all the levels. Can this be? (I was busy with her little sister's swim lesson, but this is what she tells me.).

There is a menu page that has the scores for each problem in each "chapter."

If your 8 year old got three stars for all the problems in all the levels, then hang on tight and enjoy the ride :D

Also get DB 12+

Bill

Bill -- I usually agree with your recs. DragonBox 5+ is downloading now.

If your children are in 6th and 7th Grades, do not be suprised if they whip through DB 5+ pretty quickly. But if they like it, and just need more challenging work, look at DB 12+.

Bill

Five Stars

Algebra Touch by RegularBerry

Quick Graph

Atlas by Collins

Solar Walk

Dictionary.com

Four Stars

Long Division by RegularBerry

Mathemagics

Barefoot Atlas

Elements by Touch Press

Solar System by Touch Press

Star Walk

Artists (individual artists) by Mokoo

Sumo Paint

Three Stars

i3DSun

Wonders of Geology

Orchestra by Touch Press

Simplex Spelling

WordFlex

-Disney's The Presidents (one of the most entertaining apps we've gotten so far. Even the 3yo loves it!)

-Duolingo

Total bust:

-a timeline app by Houghton-Mifflin, I think. The events are so sparsely listed that it's not worth it as an aid to any study, and the few "games" are all rote memorization within a simple matching game. Nothing fun. It was added and quickly abandoned.

Thx -- I downloaded Chem Lab

If your children are in 6th and 7th Grades, do not be suprised if they whip through DB 5+ pretty quickly. But if they like it, and just need more challenging work, look at DB 12+.

Bill

Dd is in 6th, but this year we are doing a big math review -- or maybe I should say, new way of learning. At school, they were always pushing to learn stuff for the 'test.' We have begun again with Miquon, so I think the 5+ will be fine for dd. If we like the app, I will get 12+ for ds, who is in first year algebra.

Dd is in 6th, but this year we are doing a big math review -- or maybe I should say, new way of learning. At school, they were always pushing to learn stuff for the 'test.' We have begun again with Miquon, so I think the 5+ will be fine for dd. If we like the app, I will get 12+ for ds, who is in first year algebra.

There is a "discovery" factor to DB 5+ that I think is worth exploring even if it is slightly "easy", before taking on DB 12+. Both are really great.

Bill

-Duolingo

Total bust:

I spent a fortune on those Disney president DVDs.. I wish I knew there is an apps. It is mighty good app

My kids really like Creatorverse

http://www.creatorverse.com/

It's a physics program for all ages - even young kids can use it (my 4 year old loves it!). I thought it was hard to figure out but I gave my boys the iPad and they got it working just fine. You build things and then push play and the things move and do things. I paid for it when we got it but I just went to their website and I see that's it's free now :)

• 2 weeks later...

Is there an app to teach the ABCs in order? My daughter is still struggling with this- the song is not sticking. It's a language issue for her. That darned song is just too much of a tongue twister but she needs to know it for alphabetizing and etc..

????

Is there an app to teach the ABCs in order? My daughter is still struggling with this- the song is not sticking. It's a language issue for her. That darned song is just too much of a tongue twister but she needs to know it for alphabetizing and etc..

????

We have the app iStoryTime's Wee Sing & Learn ABC's and I think it would work for you.

http://www.istorytime.com/apps/wee-sing-learn-abc