Menu

Why was faith relevant here?

http://news.aol.com/article/parents-forget-3-year-old-at-airport/115685

Story about parents who forgot their child as the made a mad dash for a flight they were late for. They had several other children, and she got lost in the mix.

But why was their Jewish Orthodoxy relevant? I can't imagine the article saying, "The parents, who were Methodists....." or "The parents, who weren't exactly church goers ...."

Wow! This is inflammatory and extremely judgemental:

JERUSALEM (Aug. 4) - Israeli airport police say a couple going on a European vacation remembered to bring their duty-free shopping and their 18 suitcases, but forgot their 3-year-old daughter at the airport.

Obviously the parents messed up, but I expect more objectivity from the media.

As a Jew, I cringed inside when I read that. Obviously, it's an awful thing when parents forget a child, but I am assuming that with five kids rushing through an airport, each parent thought the other had the child. A terrible incident, but it could happen to anyone of any religion, KWIM?

I also thought the way the article was written sounded quite negative and frankly, I took is as biased or anti-semitic. As someone else mentioned, would an article state that the parents were fundamentalist Christians?

Now of course, if the parents were homeschoolers, you KNOW that would be made a big deal!

Michelle T

http://news.aol.com/article/parents-forget-3-year-old-at-airport/115685

Story about parents who forgot their child as the made a mad dash for a flight they were late for. They had several other children, and she got lost in the mix.

But why was their Jewish Orthodoxy relevant? I can't imagine the article saying, "The parents, who were Methodists....." or "The parents, who weren't exactly church goers ...."

Excuse me if this doesn't come out quite right, but I'll do my best. It really isn't relevant that the parents are "ultra-Orthodox" but Israeli society is strongly framed by "communal identity" and the "ultra-Orthodox" designation in this context is more a description what "group identity" the parents have in Israeli society than rather than being a "comment" on the state of their "religiosity".

That said, the "culture wars" in Israel make ours seem pale in comparison, and no doubt some in the "secular" press took delight in pointing out the parent belong to a "group" with with they clash (just as it surely brought shame on the ultra-Orthodox community that some of their own had acted so foolishly).

So the news, I have no doubt, is being used as a "cudgel". But it would have a somewhat different flavor that if in the American context if saying someone was Methodist or a "church-goer". Does this makes sense?

Bill

I also thought the way the article was written sounded quite negative and frankly, I took is as biased or anti-semitic. As someone else mentioned, would an article state that the parents were fundamentalist Christians?

Yes, I think they would. Most definitely.

My question is would they feel the need to mention the parents were atheists? ;)

I've noticed this over the years....there are key words the media will use because it draws more attention.

I have noticed that the story is more sensational if the family or person's involved are doing something out of the norm.

You will always see...a homeschool family abused, a conservatively Christian (fill in the blank for what ever religion) with umpteen children..abused,left in a car etc, a retired military (fill in the branch) killed his wife,children etc.

I think it is sensationalism. What is going to make the story bigger and run longer but picking out a detail that makes someone not follow the party line so to speak.

When someone I know found out we were going to pull the kids out of school and home school....the comment I got was beyond belief!!

I was told that spending that much time with my children would make we go insane and I would end up killing my children because don't you know the only mom's who kill their children are all home school mom's? Because, don't cha know....that is what all the papers are saying.....

Yes, they have to focus on what is going to make the news more sensational.

It wouldn't matter.......it annoys me. Especially now with the home schooling evangelist who killed his wife and kept her in the freezer. Don't you know that more families that are abusive are starting to home school to keep their children out of the eyes of the authorities?

Sorry....this is a pet peeve of mine....that's why I almost hate reading the news any more now a days.

Excuse me if this doesn't come out quite right, but I'll do my best. It really isn't relevant that the parents are "ultra-Orthodox" but Israeli society is strongly framed by "communal identity" and the "ultra-Orthodox" designation in this context is more a description what "group identity" the parents have in Israeli society than rather than being a "comment" on the state of their "religiosity".

That said, the "culture wars" in Israel make ours seem pale in comparison, and no doubt some in the "secular" press took delight in pointing out the parent belong to a "group" with with they clash (just as it surely brought shame on the ultra-Orthodox community that some of their own had acted so foolishly).

So the news, I have no doubt, is being used as a "cudgel". But it would have a somewhat different flavor that if in the American context if saying someone was Methodist or a "church-goer". Does this makes sense?

Bill

No this doesn't make a lot of sense. It seems you are saying a member of a "faith community" was being identified in part so they (and their "group") could be "diminished" in the process? How in the world is this any different from what anyone else is saying???

Sorry for the hostile tone, but this is what I call a "distinction without a difference". My hope is you'll do better at making whatever point it is you were trying (but failing) to make in the future.

Good luck to you there.

Bill

No this doesn't make a lot of sense. It seems you are saying a member of a "faith community" was being identified in part so they (and their "group") could be "diminished" in the process? How in the world is this any different from what anyone else is saying???

Sorry for the hostile tone, but this is what I call a "distinction without a difference". My hope is you'll do better at making whatever point it is you were trying (but failing) to make in the future.

Good luck to you there.

Bill

:iagree:

it was gratuitous....no doubt.... and I'm not one to condemn someone for misplacing a child when in a rush...it happens...and I don't think that automatically makes you a terrible parent. However, I am left scratching my head over the fact that they still didn't realize they didn't have her when they were in the air!!!:confused:

anti-Semetism is very powerful in the media.

And anti (and pro-) ultra-orthodox are powerful issues in Israel. It is more like noting it was Sunni, etc. in Iraq.

I'm not an expert, but I did spend 4 years going to a Jewish school (with no ultra-orthodox, but many "OJ"s, as they called themselves (orthodox Jews) and one memorable Hasidic lecturer who got up on the table with a curtain draped over himself, a football in each hand, and leaned forward at the waist. "My legs are the v*gina, my arms-- the fallopian tubes, the curtain is the uterine ligament, my shoulders the fundus, the footballs are the ovaries, and my buttocks (and here he turned 90 degrees) are the cervix. This, 3-dimensionally, is how the reproductive tract of the female is situated."

I certainly never forgot it.)

And anti (and pro-) ultra-orthodox are powerful issues in Israel. It is more like noting it was Sunni, etc. in Iraq.

I'm not an expert, but I did spend 4 years going to a Jewish school (with no ultra-orthodox, but many "OJ"s, as they called themselves (orthodox Jews) and one memorable Hasidic lecturer who got up on the table with a curtain draped over him, a football in each hand, and leaned forward at the waist. "My legs are the v*gina, my arms-- the fallopian tubes, the curtain is the uterine ligament, my shoulders the fundus, the footballs are the ovaries, and my buttocks (and here he turned 90 degrees) are the cervix. This, 3-dimensionally, is how the reproductive tract of the female is situated."

That's perfect :D

I've had the good fortune to have friends here in LA who are part of the hasidic community (Chabad) and the "earthiness" and joy in celebrating life wasn't quite what I expected based on my preconceptions of ultra-seriousness. These cats know how to party :D

Bill

But it sounds like it was the Israeli media that first included that detail. Surely the Israeli media isn't anti-Semitic?

At the end of the article, there was mention of two similar incidents, where a child was left behind or on the wrong plane. There was no mention of religion in either of those.

Michelle T

I'm not an expert, but I did spend 4 years going to a Jewish school (with no ultra-orthodox, but many "OJ"s, as they called themselves (orthodox Jews) and one memorable Hasidic lecturer who got up on the table with a curtain draped over him, a football in each hand, and leaned forward at the waist. "My legs are the v*gina, my arms-- the fallopian tubes, the curtain is the uterine ligament, my shoulders the fundus, the footballs are the ovaries, and my buttocks (and here he turned 90 degrees) are the cervix. This, 3-dimensionally, is how the reproductive tract of the female is situated."

That is awesome! Shame no one took a picture! :lol:

That's perfect :D

I've had the good fortune to have friends here in LA who are part of the hasidic community (Chabad) and the "earthiness" and joy in celebrating life wasn't quite what I expected based on my preconceptions of ultra-seriousness. These cats know how to party :D

Bill

Yes, they sure do. There is a move called A Life Apart. A very interesting small film on the Hasidic community in NYC. The directors second film, Hiding and Seeking is even better.

Sorry, can't help but inject movies into the thread. I know... it's a sickness of mine. ;)

As a Jew, I cringed inside when I read that. Obviously, it's an awful thing when parents forget a child, but I am assuming that with five kids rushing through an airport, each parent thought the other had the child.

Yeah, I cringed too, but then I wondered if they may have mentioned it because Orthodox Jews often have large families. I bet they would have mentioned it if the family was Amish or quiverfull, too, if that was on the reporter's radar.

I can also see it happening in my family. The more eyes there are to watch the little ones, the more everyone relaxes. When we travel with five-six adults, we almost always lose kids. Not for quite that long a time period, though . . . generally we do a head check every fifteen minutes.

At the end of the article, there was mention of two similar incidents, where a child was left behind or on the wrong plane. There was no mention of religion in either of those.

Michelle T

I didn't see these other cases mentioned in the link posted in the OP. Were you looking at a different article about the incident?

Yes, they sure do. There is a move called A Life Apart. A very interesting small film on the Hasidic community in NYC. The directors second film, Hiding and Seeking is even better.

Sorry, can't help but inject movies into the thread. I know... it's a sickness of mine. ;)

Excellent, a local library branch has "A Life Apart". I'm going to get it :001_smile:

Thanks for the tip.

Bill

I didn't see these other cases mentioned in the link posted in the OP. Were you looking at a different article about the incident?

I thought it was the same article, but might have been a different one. It specifically mentioned a boy who was traveling alone and got on the wrong plane, and another one where a child was left behind. Neither bothered specifying what religion the families involved practiced.

Michelle T

There is also "The Chosen" which isn't much of a film (Robbie Benson) but Chaim Potok's novel is quite interesting look at hasidism (vs more liberal strains of Judiasm).

Bill

Love, love, love that book!

I also loved The Agunah and From the Fair (which was incidentally translated from Yiddish by the professor whose course I took.)