Menu

Question for mamas with long hair

HSMom2One

I'm letting my hair grow out and have been looking for some hair ornaments for adults other than the standard ones found in stores like Walmart, Walgreens, grocery stores, etc. (i.e. Goody brand). I have fine hair that doesn't always hold most of the types I've found so far, plus I'd like to find accessories that are nicer quality. Does anyone have a favorite resource for things like this?

Thanks for sharing if you do.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Nicole_Kidman.jpg

Sorry the picture is ginormous, I tried to shrink it! Here is a picture of a hairstyle with some of it pulled up and secured with two bobby pins to form an x. I do that sometimes when I want to try something different. Ross has really cute headbands and barrettes, clips, fancy bobby pins, etc. Usually I just leave it down or I curl it and make loose waves. I braid it to one side if I don't have time to do anything else, which is different from the standard leaving it down. Even a ponytail with some hair wraped around it to hide the ponytail holder is cute. Long hair is fun! I never want to trim mine even when I know I should!

My hair is quite fine as well.

Flexi-8s are a cost-effective, sturdy hair tool/ornament. You do have to decide what sizes to use and what styles you want to do. The owner/creator is a great guy too.

For a more expensive ornament, personally I lovelovelove Ficcares. They are so easy to use. Faster than a ponytail and so elegant. I'm not a jewelry person or an accessory person but I have let dh buy me a few of these.

Hair sticks and hair forks can be very beautiful, but they have a steeper learning curve. Check out the Hair Products and Accessories board and the Swap board on the longhaircommunity forums.

For a more expensive ornament, personally I lovelovelove Ficcares. They are so easy to use. Faster than a ponytail and so elegant. I'm not a jewelry person or an accessory person but I have let dh buy me a few of these.

I love Ficcares, too - so elegant and easy to use :). I have a nice little collection of them - they're the only jewelry/accessories that I change or match to my outfits (I never change my earrings, I wear no other jewelry, my coat/shoes/handbag are all black - basically, I'm really boring aside from my hair jewelry appearance-wise ;)).

My hair is fine, but I have a lot of it ;).

Flexi-8s are a cost-effective, sturdy hair tool/ornament. You do have to decide what sizes to use and what styles you want to do. The owner/creator is a great guy too.

Hair sticks and hair forks can be very beautiful, but they have a steeper learning curve. Check out the Hair Products and Accessories board and the Swap boardon the longhaircommunity forums.

There's a forum? Woohoo! I'm always looking for something else to do with my long hair. Like OP, I don't really have cute accessories either.

I second the recommendation that you check out the LHC forum :)

My go-to is just a braid of some kind, usually put up in a bun of some kind with hair pins.

Not to be confused with bobby pins, which are less flexible and secure on me.

With hair pins I can also do a quick roll or braid and secure it with 4-5 hair pins; less for less hair. It doesn't even have to be pretty, but will still look fairly put-together once the pins are in LOL. Not the plastic ones, nor the cheap short ones at box stores. You want the sturdy metal ones that are at least as long as is your index finger. You see them a lot on Koreans, and from Korean markets/vendors.

I knew I'd get great ideas if I came here with my question! Thanks so much for all the wonderful suggestions. I had no idea that these were available and am very grateful.

Flexi-8 clips come in a wide variety of sizes and have worked for me as I've grown my hair out and had super thick pregnant hair to post-baby thinning. I use a variety of sizes for half-ups, ponys, twists, and buns.

I'm amazed at how many different styles they carry. So far, Flexi-8 clips are my favorite!

Hair sticks and hair forks can be very beautiful, but they have a steeper learning curve. Check out the Hair Products and Accessories board and the Swap boardon the longhaircommunity forums.

Wow, Ficcares are gorgeous. I'd love to buy some, but will have to bookmark and wait on that because they're pretty spendy. And a forum -- I never would have thought there'd be a forum for women with long hair. I will have to dig deeper and check this out.

I second the recommendation that you check out the LHC forum :)

My go-to is just a braid of some kind, usually put up in a bun of some kind with hair pins.

Not to be confused with bobby pins, which are less flexible and secure on me.

With hair pins I can also do a quick roll or braid and secure it with 4-5 hair pins; less for less hair. It doesn't even have to be pretty, but will still look fairly put-together once the pins are in LOL. Not the plastic ones, nor the cheap short ones at box stores. You want the sturdy metal ones that are at least as long as is your index finger. You see them a lot on Koreans, and from Korean markets/vendors.

Where do you find beautiful hair pins like this if you aren't near a Korean market/vendor? They are just beautiful! I'm thinking, maybe eBay?

Again, thanks everyone for all the great resources.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I love some of these, but I wonder how well they work for thick hair.

I like the bobby pin thing, but that won't work for thick hair.

What is out there for thick hair?

The Flexi's work for thick hair, just buy one of the larger sizes.

Also the twist and lock barrettes found here work amazingly well on thick heavy hair. I bought one at a ren faire one year and it holds all my hair up and stays in place.

I found some metal hair combs (similar to those plastic French combs, only metal, and the teeth were much longer) at a street fair that actually held my hair. I've never found *anything* that held my hair as well. you would need to google - and find ones with long teeth. the curved ones (to the shape of the skull) are more comfortable. I've also used large octopus clips. wood turned hair sticks from turn-of-the-century. though my hair did do better if it was wet/damp when I put it up. depending upon your hair volume - my daughter didn't have a problem with dry hair. she also used pencils (and that will tell you if hair sticks would work for you.)

I do not have thick hair personally, but both flexi-8s and ficcares have been field tested by women with very thick, very long hair on the longhaircommunity forum.

For bobby pins and thick hair I recommend those corkscrew ones they sell at stores now, the U-shaped Amish pins, or the plastic magic-grip ones.

I love the Flexi8 clips. It's my go-to clip when I have to wash my hair in the morning and don't want it down wet all day.

Spin pins are good for twists and buns or other casual updos. I have thick, waist-length hair and need 3 or 4 of them to keep it in place.

The headbands with a little loop to clip a flower are good too. I have 1 black headband and several colorful flowers when I want to go for a slightly different look. The flower clips by themselves don't usually hold my hair on its own, but they would probably work fine alone for thin or fine hair.

I like regular barrettes and sparkly bobby pins for just pulling back small sections off my face.

Where do you find beautiful hair pins like this if you aren't near a Korean market/vendor? They are just beautiful! I'm thinking, maybe eBay?

Again, thanks everyone for all the great resources.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Definitely eBay. Maybe Etsy.

Are you near ANY Asian market or stores? Or maybe a military base? LOL

I've seen a kiosk at the mall before, so maybe you'll find one at a local mall? Come to think of it I bought my daughter some clips their once. I wonder if I have the business card still .... I'll check and post back in the morning if I can find it (and their website).

I love some of these, but I wonder how well they work for thick hair.

I like the bobby pin thing, but that won't work for thick hair.

What is out there for thick hair?

I have thick hair.

There was a kid in my neighborhood who said my hair looked like his horse's tail, and then he petted me.

Kinda weird.

But the hair pins work great for me, especially in spurts of 3-5 hours (as opposed to all day).

And especially if I've already braided my hair and am simply pulling it up.