Menu

So, what do you guys think of the new Self-Paced Latin for Children on the CAP website?

Mommy7

Well it seems to me that the online self-paced course has exactly the same content and layout as the printed materials. Honestly, after viewing the samples, my little man and I both prefer the printed set (including the CD/DVD).

On day one, he usually chants the memory work with the workbook and iPad spread out in front of him. On day two, he watches the grammar portion on the DVD, which is usually done in our living room using the DVD player and rarely ever on our computer. Unfortunately, the Grammar videos in the online self-paced course require Flash, which is not supported on an iPad. Lastly, we both agreed that it's nice to be able to take notes in the workbook, flipping back and forth as needed, instead of having to print out pages that you'd most likely have to bind in your own notebook anyway, so it'll still be worth it for us to spend a bit extra for the printed set.

I am wondering if/how you use the iPad for LFC?

Thanks!

I'm thinking since I have 2 students, the printed would be better

Well it seems to me that the online self-paced course has exactly the same content and layout as the printed materials. Honestly, after viewing the samples, my little man and I both prefer the printed set (including the CD/DVD).

On day one, he usually chants the memory work with the workbook and iPad spread out in front of him. On day two, he watches the grammar portion on the DVD, which is usually done in our living room using the DVD player and rarely ever on our computer. Unfortunately, the Grammar videos in the online self-paced course require Flash, which is not supported on an iPad. Lastly, we both agreed that it's nice to be able to take notes in the workbook, flipping back and forth as needed, instead of having to print out pages that you'd most likely have to bind in your own notebook anyway, so it'll still be worth it for us to spend a bit extra for the printed set.

I am wondering if/how you use the iPad for LFC?

Thanks!

I'm thinking since I have 2 students, the printed would be better

I loaded the chants from the LfC CD into iTunes and then synced the iPad. He'll chant aloud from the current chapter, as well as any other chapter that we've covered in the current Unit, using the iPad.

I love LFC and we just finished up Primer A. I think the only thing we'd ever consider, and I don't even know if it is an option, is to use the printed Primer, but purchase the chants and the video lessons. Even as I type this, I think it is nice to have the chant CD's to take them where ever we want. I have a friend who does most of Latin in her car :-)

I love the idea....just wish I liked LFC. 😩 Latin Alive as a self-paced would be very cool! Are they planning that for sure?

Yes! I spoke with Dr. Perrin at convention this year. They guessed that LFC B &C would be up by the fall with Latin Alive following possibly by Christmas.

I love the idea....just wish I liked LFC. 😩 Latin Alive as a self-paced would be very cool! Are they planning that for sure?

Yes! I spoke with Dr. Perrin at convention this year. They guessed that LFC B &C would be up by the fall with Latin Alive following possibly by Christmas.

Hmmmm... I love CAP, but their estimates tend to be a bit... off. I don't know that I trust them having B & C up by fall. I am giving serious thought to putting Sylvia through the class though. She loves computer work and tends to finish first and distract Rebecca. I wasn't going to have her do LFC this year, just SSL2, but they could just do that for fun.