Menu

Do any of your boys enjoy Anne of Green Gables?

My 12 year old son really enjoyed reading the chapter from Anne of Green Gables in WWS, so I thought I would check out the book from the library for him to read. Then I thought about buying the whole boxed set series instead. Has anyone's son(s) enjoyed Anne enough to read the whole series?

Thanks!

Jetta

My son adored Anne of Green Gables!

I read the next book in the series and enjoyed it, but DS hasn't read it. I don't know if he would have enjoyed it as much as the first. Anne grows up... She is so spirited in the first book, which is why it appealed to DS.

My boys, 2nd and 3rd grade, love it! And so do my husband and I. But we are not reading it, we are listening to the series on audio book. Our library can get them through interlibrary loan. We have listened to all the books in the series up to "Anne's House of Dreams" which is what we are currently on. My oldest asks, when we get in the car, "Can we turn Anne on?" We then have some of the best trips ever - no fighting, arguing, etc. as we are all enthralled by the story!

By the way, that is the only time we listen to it - when we are in the car - just so we can have peaceful travels. But you could listen to it anytime; we just happen to travel quite a bit.

My oldest son loved Anne of Green Gables and series. Emma was his favorite book for a long time. Favorite or not, I try not to purchase very many of these books that I know are at the library. Get them from the library. If he loves them and wants to reread them, go ahead and purchase as a keepsake.

Mandy

Thanks to all of you! Based on your comments, I think I will just check the first book out from the library and go from there. The main reason I was considering ordering the box set is that I do have a daughter coming along who may or may not enjoy them. :) But that can wait.

Order the boxed set for yourself :). The Anne series is the best! Well, except for L.M. Montgomery's Emily series, which is even better. I haven't introduced my 8 year old DS to it yet, but we may try to audio on our next trip. DH loves Anne as much as I do, and we went to Prince Edward Island on our honeymoon. It's the most beautiful place I've ever been. i agree that the later books in the series may be less interesting to kids, especially boys, but you never know. If he loves the first one but bogs down in the second, give Rainbow Valley a try. It's written from the POV of Anne's kids.