Menu

SWR or WRTR

fractalgal

Has anyone used either of these and would like to share what they like/dislike about either?

I have been considering using these for my son and daughter. SWR will have a training session coming to my area at the end of August. Has anyone here ever taken one of these sessions? Are they worth the $100 price?

I also noticed that if you go to Spalding.org (SWR and WRTR are based on the Spalding Method). It has teachers manuals, flashcards, etc. Has anyone gone this route instead?

THanks for sharing!

I've only just begun SWR with my ds and highly recommend it already. I travelled 4+ hours (one way) to attend a 2 day basic seminar in mid-July and believe that it is well worth the money. I'm sure that you could use it w/o the seminar, but if you are able to attend a seminar in your area, then I definitely encourage it.

I know that you can usually purchase materials at the seminar, but I suggest purchasing the basic bundle, if you haven't already, and looking through the material prior to attending. BTW, if for some reason you choose that SWR is not for you after attending the seminar, then reselling the materials will most likely not be a problem.

Melissa

BHI won "Phonics Company Excellence in Education Award!"

The Old Schoohouse Magazine recognized BHI for the outstanding curriculum, Spell to Write and Read, a unified language arts program for all ages and learning types. Homeschool blogger says "SWR is used in public and private schools, in many homeschools, and is a favored choice for ESL (English as a Second Language) tutoring for dyslexics, and adult literacy programs. Students who have failed with other spelling and reading programs find success with SWR."

Check out BHI Books for SWR Materials

Check out this Homeschool Blog by Britta McColl (endorsed SWR Trainer)

Check out Morning Star Learning for SWR Materials

Check out the SWR Group at Yahoo!

I hope these links may help you!

:001_smile: Melissa

Has anyone used either of these and would like to share what they like/dislike about either?

I have been considering using these for my son and daughter. SWR will have a training session coming to my area at the end of August. Has anyone here ever taken one of these sessions? Are they worth the $100 price?

I also noticed that if you go to Spalding.org (SWR and WRTR are based on the Spalding Method). It has teachers manuals, flashcards, etc. Has anyone gone this route instead?

THanks for sharing!

Wanda who is the creator of SWR worked with Spalding while she was alive. In fact the first version of the WISE guide was created to go with WRTR. My understanding is that later on there was a disagreement about where the program should go, so Wanda split off. There are some slight differences in the phonograms as I understand it, which is what I assume the differences were about.

The files of the SWR yahoo group has more information as to what phonograms are taught differently.

I didn't do the class, though I am sure it would have been easier if I had. :D

Heather

I bought WRTR 5th edition back when dd was 4, threw it at the wall, and came back to it, still feeling it was what I wanted theoretically. However when push came to shove, I sprang for SWR, because it flat gave me so many more helps (enrichments, more thorough explanations, sample sentence for each word, blah blah). Now I've been around the ballpark, done a lot of things, and learned I can take the theory from one and put it in the practicality of another. So for instance, if you were to ask me today, my personal preference is to teach reading with SWR, then take the approach of SWR and apply it over to something with spiraling dictation sentences like the dictation resource book for Spelling Plus.

You didn't put in your sig the ages of your dc. Are any of them remedial? I gather you're pulling them out of school, but what is making you consider SWR? The quality of the training sessions really depends on the trainer, sorry. I read the book and did it myself, never felt the need for a class. You can use my little quick & dirty getting started guide and be just fine if you're the type who learns better from a book. http://www.lulu.com/etclaggett Some people learn better in a class, so it's just what you need. I'd definitely order from a trainer you like, as that person will then give you support, answer questions, etc. There's no trainer close to me, wasn't even one in my state when I started, so I connected with Britta of http://www.morningstarlearning.com who is just adorable and wonderful, so helpful.

I'm going to extrapolate a little here, and you can just see if it applies. I noticed in your other posts that you're a smart cookie. It might be that you're going to get bored with SWR or find yourself wanting to streamline it. The theory is great, but once you get those pieces, you really can carry it across to about any approach. And the best approach for spelling really depends on the dc. That's why I asked about your situation, thinking if you'd like to share, we could toss out suggestions on how to approach it. Some of these programs make it sound like spelling is one-size-fits all or that one is "best." The theoretical approach, the way they attack sounds, in SWR/WRTR is definitely the best (I'll just be a little opinionated here, hehe), but I would totally flex the way you use it to fit the dc. My dd is a visual learner, benefits from color, hates workbooks, needs context, a true Sociable Sue (if you've read Cathy Duffy's stuff), needs context for things to have a reason to stick, doesn't learn isolated facts well, and NOT a natural speller. She's crazy good with history btw. It really does seem to be a pattern, these social nuts who are good with people, good with stories, good with history, lousy with particular, isolated facts like math facts or spelling. Today my dd asked me if there are two s's in dress!!!!!!!!!! She's a rising 4th grader, tests quite well on a diagnostic, has used SWR all her life, writes a lot, reads a lot. Spelling is just her plague. After several years of doing SWR straight, I finally realized I had to tweak it to fit her better, which of course began this journey for us. You can see my voluminous posts if you do a search, hehe, but basically I realized she needed more context (words in dictation sentences, not isolated) and more visual (I added in the calvert spelling cd's on computer and a LOT more writing daily). And I've finally drifted to the point where, with a student like her I wouldn't even recommend fiddling with SWR. I'd read WRTR from your library to get the jist, memorize the phonograms and rules using the cards, then get the dictation book for Spelling Plus. But that's for a student like her. BTW, the Spalding Foundation sells a really great quality set of phonogram cards. If you get the basic and advanced, they're basically the same as the SWR phonograms, just tweaking the order of a couple of the sounds, no biggee. The lamination on the Spalding cards is better, more like Uno cards, making them better than something you'd do yourself by laminating card stock.

Maybe you'll have a natural speller, I don't know. I'm definitely glad I taught dd to read using SWR, amazed by the results with that, and I think our efforts with SWR and a really solid conceptual approach to spelling probably headed off further problems. Reality is, no spelling program is the ultimate if you happen to have a dc who is not the snappiest speller on the block. Some kids are naturals and going to do well no matter what, meaning they would just need a really light touch with SWR. I would suggest that if you're the book learning type, you simply read through WRTR, which should be available at your local library, and decide what you think. If you want to do SWR straight, especially to teach a little to read, go for it. If you're the type who learns well from a book, you're not going to need that training session. If you have an older dc who is a proficient speller already, I would just do the rules and phonogram cards and then apply them as you work through Spelling Plus together. Spelling Plus is recommended by CC and used in their courses. I haven't actually used it, just looked it over at the convention. The only reason I didn't spring for it was because it seemed like my dd would have tested out of most of the book. We're due in September anyway, so I'm going really divergent this year, just doing Calvert on cd, a lesson (week) daily and a nifty spelling workbook I bought, as I wanted something very independent. There's a lot of ways to skin this spelling cat, and I think you'll see that after you get the jist of SWR/WRTR.

I read WRTR and then purchased the SWR curriculum. This will be our third year using it.

My son (10, 5th grade) has a visual processing disorder and learning to read was slow and tedious for him. We started SWR in 3rd grade, partially for spelling but mostly for working intensively on increasing his reading skills. Learning and drilling all of the phonograms worked amazingly well for him. His reading skills really began to blossom and his spellling also improved.

Two years later, and my son's reading comprehension skills are high school level. He is still a very SLOW reader, but he reads well and his spelling is at or slightly above grade level, which for him is fantastic.

We no longer follow all of the recommendations, but we work on the spelling lists each week and still mark all of the phonograms using their methods.

I wish that we had started out in first grade with SWR.

-Kim in Iowa

I bought WRTR 5th edition back when dd was 4, threw it at the wall, and came back to it, still feeling it was what I wanted theoretically. However when push came to shove, I sprang for SWR, because it flat gave me so many more helps (enrichments, more thorough explanations, sample sentence for each word, blah blah). Now I've been around the ballpark, done a lot of things, and learned I can take the theory from one and put it in the practicality of another. So for instance, if you were to ask me today, my personal preference is to teach reading with SWR, then take the approach of SWR and apply it over to something with spiraling dictation sentences like the dictation resource book for Spelling Plus.

You didn't put in your sig the ages of your dc. Are any of them remedial? I gather you're pulling them out of school, but what is making you consider SWR? The quality of the training sessions really depends on the trainer, sorry. I read the book and did it myself, never felt the need for a class. You can use my little quick & dirty getting started guide and be just fine if you're the type who learns better from a book. www.lulu.com/etclaggett Some people learn better in a class, so it's just what you need. I'd definitely order from a trainer you like, as that person will then give you support, answer questions, etc. There's no trainer close to me, wasn't even one in my state when I started, so I connected with Britta of www.morningstarlearning.com who is just adorable and wonderful, so helpful.

I'm going to extrapolate a little here, and you can just see if it applies. I noticed in your other posts that you're a smart cookie. It might be that you're going to get bored with SWR or find yourself wanting to streamline it. The theory is great, but once you get those pieces, you really can carry it across to about any approach. And the best approach for spelling really depends on the dc. That's why I asked about your situation, thinking if you'd like to share, we could toss out suggestions on how to approach it. Some of these programs make it sound like spelling is one-size-fits all or that one is "best." The theoretical approach, the way they attack sounds, in SWR/WRTR is definitely the best (I'll just be a little opinionated here, hehe), but I would totally flex the way you use it to fit the dc. My dd is a visual learner, benefits from color, hates workbooks, needs context, a true Sociable Sue (if you've read Cathy Duffy's stuff), needs context for things to have a reason to stick, doesn't learn isolated facts well, and NOT a natural speller. She's crazy good with history btw. It really does seem to be a pattern, these social nuts who are good with people, good with stories, good with history, lousy with particular, isolated facts like math facts or spelling. Today my dd asked me if there are two s's in dress!!!!!!!!!! She's a rising 4th grader, tests quite well on a diagnostic, has used SWR all her life, writes a lot, reads a lot. Spelling is just her plague. After several years of doing SWR straight, I finally realized I had to tweak it to fit her better, which of course began this journey for us. You can see my voluminous posts if you do a search, hehe, but basically I realized she needed more context (words in dictation sentences, not isolated) and more visual (I added in the calvert spelling cd's on computer and a LOT more writing daily). And I've finally drifted to the point where, with a student like her I wouldn't even recommend fiddling with SWR. I'd read WRTR from your library to get the jist, memorize the phonograms and rules using the cards, then get the dictation book for Spelling Plus. But that's for a student like her. BTW, the Spalding Foundation sells a really great quality set of phonogram cards. If you get the basic and advanced, they're basically the same as the SWR phonograms, just tweaking the order of a couple of the sounds, no biggee. The lamination on the Spalding cards is better, more like Uno cards, making them better than something you'd do yourself by laminating card stock.

Maybe you'll have a natural speller, I don't know. I'm definitely glad I taught dd to read using SWR, amazed by the results with that, and I think our efforts with SWR and a really solid conceptual approach to spelling probably headed off further problems. Reality is, no spelling program is the ultimate if you happen to have a dc who is not the snappiest speller on the block. Some kids are naturals and going to do well no matter what, meaning they would just need a really light touch with SWR. I would suggest that if you're the book learning type, you simply read through WRTR, which should be available at your local library, and decide what you think. If you want to do SWR straight, especially to teach a little to read, go for it. If you're the type who learns well from a book, you're not going to need that training session. If you have an older dc who is a proficient speller already, I would just do the rules and phonogram cards and then apply them as you work through Spelling Plus together. Spelling Plus is recommended by CC and used in their courses. I haven't actually used it, just looked it over at the convention. The only reason I didn't spring for it was because it seemed like my dd would have tested out of most of the book. We're due in September anyway, so I'm going really divergent this year, just doing Calvert on cd, a lesson (week) daily and a nifty spelling workbook I bought, as I wanted something very independent. There's a lot of ways to skin this spelling cat, and I think you'll see that after you get the jist of SWR/WRTR.

I think everyone on this board is a "smart cookie". Homeschoolers also demonstate (imho) a certain amount of moxy.:thumbup:

My intention for SWR is mainly to teach my son to read. The spelling part would be a bonus. I will use it for my daughter, too, but probably add to it with a specific grammar/writing course.

THanks for sharing!

I use WRTR to teach how to read and how to spell. I don't use any other parts of the book, instead we use a separate grammar and writing program.

Using WRTR to teach spelling usually leads to learning to read. I have found that the two skills intertwine with this method. After my oldest child learned to read and was very comfortable with spelling, I added in Latin grammar study and this year, a word root study to further enhance his spelling skills.

I will say that my Mom, who was a Spalding trained teacher, was the one who taught me to use it, so I guess that's somewhat of an advantage over having to learn it from scratch from the book. She told me the overall theory of memorizing the phonograms, learning to write the phonograms, then analyzing words for sounds and rules via the spelling notebook was what led to being able to read and spell. Then she showed me how to do these things, and then i studied the book on my own for several weeks until I understood what to do and why. Guess you could say I had a free seminar AND studied the book to learn what to do. :) But my self-study was worth it, because once I figured it all out, I was able to proceed with confidence with my kids. I also tutored other kids for a couple of years with this method.

What I like about it is the book was only about $25, the flashcards were about $17, the spelling notebook was $1, and the price of pencils was ????. You could make the flashcards on your own, with the information in the book - phonograms on the front, pronunciations and sample words on the back. I didn't use rule flashcards, I just taught the rules each time they came up in the spelling list, and dc memorized them as they analyzed words (via the markings).

I think it's doable to learn how to use WRTR. A poster here named Ellie has seen the new teaching manuals (lesson plans??) and has said they make teaching WRTR easier. It depends on what you want to do. If you think you can learn WRTR by sitting down with the book, then go for it. I think Spalding has a message board, and you can always ask questions here, too. I'd be happy to help you, too. But you should do whatever is easier and less nerve-wracking for you. Both programs will do the job.

If you think you need a seminar to learn SWR, then go for it. I hear SWR has many more aids to it. After learning WRTR, though, I found SWR (the one time I looked at it, so take this with a grain of salt) more complicated to implement. From what I've read on these boards, it seems to take longer to do an SWR lesson each day than to do a WRTR lesson. But again, both do the job, so you just have to decide what you are or aren't willing to do.

hth!

My dd learned WRTR in a charter school before we began hsing 1/2 way through first grade. In 2nd and 3rd grade, she attended another part time charter which also used WRTR.

It was at that time that I learned how to use it, as we were to practice it at home. It was hugely helpful that my dd already knew how to use it; she was quite patient with me. I volunteered in the classroom for several months and saw it in action, which really helped me understand it.

When we withdrew from the part time school, I planned to use WRTR at home, both for my dd and for my younger son. Even though I was very comfortable using it, I could not pull it together to save my life.

I finally broke down and bought SWR, and I was able to apply everything I'd already learned. There are a VERY few slight phonogram modifications (3?). The difference was that SWR gave me the weekly assignments on one 2-paged spread. I had no planning to do, just literally could open up the book on Monday morning, pull out that week's phono cards and GO.

It was WELL worth the cost.

Many people can easily "get" the teaching method. I would not have been one of them. I am a big picture person, and with SWR, you have to do each little bit and you see the big picture at the end. Depending on if YOU think it would be difficult to learn, and your money situation, you may or may not wish to take the class.

OhElizabeth has an awesome thing on lulu.com titled something like Down and Dirty with SWR, just the basics to get you moving along. I highly recommend it. :) Last I checked, it was free.

SWR just worked so much better for me, laying out the method. True Spalding students scoff that SWR is equal (Ellie?!), but I never could have taught the Spalding method without SWR. And I went into WRTR knowing how to teach it....

I read WRTR cover to cover a couple times, checked out from my library, before buying SWR. I am using it with my 5yo ds. He is learning to read, and struggling with handwriting. I've tweaked it a bit (don't tell Wanda LOL) to allow ds to continue learning the phonograms and spelling words w/o so much handwriting. I plan on covering through list I with my modifications, and then starting over from the beginning as it's intended, and with the grammer excercises.

You could just learn the phonograms and spelling rules and the Ayers list and be fine, but SWR has enough good stuff to make it worth the extra $$$ imho. The word list is a bit different in SWR. She updated it, and rearranged it some in order to make it easy to add in grammer.