Menu

Ipad protective case help

tonygirl

Not sure where to post this please let me know if there is a better place to put this question

Does anyone know the best Ipad 4 protective cover to protect the Ipad from drops and cracked screens i really want to protect from facedown drops HELP please

I have an otter box, defender series with a screen protector also.

I bought it because I saw a demo online where the guy chucked the ipad onto a cement floor as hard as he could, just like a special needs child could during a temper tantrum. It survived, I immediately ordered mine. We've dropped ours a few times hard onto a tile floor and it has always been protected. Also, someone who will remain nameless :leaving: dropped her can of Coke onto it one night. I believe the screen protector and the defender case together saved it.

My kiddos have otterboxes on their ipad minis, and thank heavens. They were always great with the nintendo handhelds-- DS12 got his when he was 4, and it lasted until he was 11 with hardly a scratch-- however, as "that age" approaches, he has acquired the ability to drop anything not actually nailed to his hands. His ipad has been dropped on the concrete decking around the pool at our athletic club more times than I can count, dropped down the stairs, had milk and water and breakfast spilled all over it (if he had performed like this with the DS, he would never have gotten an ipad in the first place). Through it all, the Otterbox has kept it clean and safe. As a PP noted, we have one that has a built-in screen protector.

I personally found the Otterbox and the others like it to be really annoying - heavy, not sleek, and the screen cover does decrease the screen's sensitivity, IMO. If you are going to let a toddler or, as mentioned above, a special needs child who might throw a tantrum, use it, then yes, worth the annoyance. If it's mostly for you or you and kids who are older and reasonably careful, then we've found more basic covers fine. Mine has the Speck shell and the iPad smart cover and I like that - simple and it protects the corners, which get knocked. It has been dropped and survived just fine. The kids' one has the newer iPad cover that incorporates the back and the smart cover.

Is theOtterbox protective screen on the Ipad all the time or do you have to do put it on whenever you use it?

It is integrated into the main (not generally removable, though it can be removed if necessary) main part of the Otterbox, so it is on all the time; you do not have to put it on in order to use it. The main unit with the screen protector included stays intact-- it is part of the waterproof seal protecting the unit.

There is a "lid" that provides additional overall protection, but that is different from the screen protector that prevents scratches/spills etc (and this lid doubles as an easel when you take it off).

My kids have had no problem with decreased sensitivity from the screen protector using their fingers. I tried it the other day with a super cheap Amazon stylus from the 14 for $10 pack, and that worked beautifully through the screen protector as well.

We have the thick black otterbox one (I think Defender?) I have the same casing for my phone. I did a lot of researching before purchasing the cover/case, and it is one of the most expensive cases, but there is a reason for that. If you look at my sig, you'll see I have young kids and one who particularly is known for getting rough with things. Its held through all of the kids playing with it, it being dropped a couple of times (including once by Chaos onto the cement), and its fine. The black cover that goes over the front is ..... somewhere, I never use it (rofl). Nor do I have a screen protector (I have found with screen protectors, I wreck the screen more having to remove & replace them (they are impossible to lift-off, even the "Static" holding type ones).

Whatever Otterbox I have, is the only case I'll ever use. The Ipad one, the silicon is a little more "slippy" around the inner hard-shell, but overall its still much, much better than other cases I have looked at. The way the cover goes with the multiple layers over the edge of the screen, tends to stop problems with spills as well (as I have noticed a couple of times when spills straight onto the screen happen).

If you are wanting a durable, rugged protective case, the fat otterbox one is the key. If you are without kids and simply wanting to read at the beach without drops getting on your screen one of those commercial plastic clear bags will do...or you can use the homemade version....a ziplock bag :laugh:

Regardless of what you get, if it has a built in hard screen protector be sure to put one of the strong film screen protectors on anyway to keep the plastic from rubbing directly on the screen.

This!

Also, check out this link for ideas (but the same posters may have already responded here.)

Thank you guys I need something that I dont have to stick on like flim my ds fropped it on the concreat floor it slipped and went face down there goes the display so tht is wht I want to protect in case tht happens again but still want it to be easy to use :)