Menu

Boys using public restrooms- when to allow them in the men's room alone

lincap

Probably about 9 or 10.

But I know my area, and the toilets we use (when not using the family ones). The ones that don't have family ones, are the ones he would have to go alone in, and are not great toilets to meet friendly people, lol.

I'm a mom, and half the time going to these toilets by myself, I'm the one cautiously opening the door, ready to back out and take off if need be.

If others who aren't in the same situation want to make comments, I let them. They aren't in a similar situation, and only you know whats right for your kids and at what age.

For example in the office supply store they have a large family bathroom. I allow my son to go in there by himself, as long as he doesn't lock the door. I'll ocassionally peek in if he's taking too long, but the only reason I keep an eye on him there is because I want to make sure he's not making a mess of the nice clean bathroom lol. When he gets quiet I worry I'll open the door and find a suds pile or a mountain of toilet paper, so its warranted worry considering he does that at home. As soon as I don't have to worry about that, I'm happy to let him lock the door, and I'd wait for him at the end of the hall/entrance to the store.

In some areas (like outside the big towns supermarket) I would say I would be waiting till he's about 12, or at that age when he is more likely to properly acknowledge danger and yell for help.

So its really a wide range depending on which toilets and where.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

depending on the situation, i will still bring my 9 year old to the restroom with me. i could care less what other people think. he's my son & if he needs to use the restroom (or i do) and we are somewhere that i can't leave him outside... or if it's too big of a place to simply let him go into the men's restroom alone...then we stick together. why wouldn't we? he's a little boy. most people totally understand that. if anyone felt upset with him in the bathroom with me, that's really nothing i will lose sleep over honestly.