Menu

The vet told me my chihuahua needs to lose 2 lbs. We've always called him "muscular" although he does look like he recently swallowed a sausage.:tongue_smilie: The dog eats a "light" formula of organic dog food (and not a large amount either) and gets plenty of exercise. I'm puzzled :confused: on how to get a healthy, active dog to lose weight.

post-760-13535082625107_thumb.jpg

post-760-13535082625107_thumb.jpg

My vet said the same thing about my dk (dear kitty) Loveday.

You can't make a dk exercise, lol. I changed her food to Evo, which is grain free, thinking maybe a low-carb diet might help her, KWIM? I also began measuring her food instead of just leaving it out all the time; turns out she was *not* overeating. She has lost weight, so I guess my strategy must have worked. We'll see when she goes in for her shots in September.

You could try Evo for your dp (dear pup) and see if it helps.

For pete's sake, he doesn't even look like he weighs two pounds.

The rolls are hidden by the grass in the picture!

First of all no table scraps. Secondly, replace dog treats with baby carrots: hypoallergenic, high fiber (will help with any anal gland problems), won't put weight on and are sweet and crunchy so most dogs like them or learn to like them. If those two adjustments do not do the trick continue by cutting back food by 20% and see what happens. It would be unlikely that you are dealing with hypothyroidism in a chihuahua but not totally unheard of.

There's my professional two cents.