Menu

Confused about using Biblioplan with MOH/SOTW

LAmom

I was looking into MOH and see that in the book included is tests, questions, maps, activities, etc. If you use Biblioplan what do you buy and why exactly to you need it vs just using MOH or SOTW/AG? What does it add?

I like that it gives specific books to read, not just long lists to sort through. I also prefer the way they schedule readings and I prefer their maps to the SOTW maps. I also am using it because I want to integrate a history of us in with sotw.

So what do you buy from Biblioplan? If you use SOTW or MOH for the spine do you also buy the Companion? Do I need SOTW AG or just use Biblioplans questions (is it Cool History?) and their maps?

This year we used SOTW, the companion, cool histories, craft book, and coloring pages. I wish we would have bought the maps.

We'll be using this next year though I have older kids. One of the reasons I chose Biblioplan over just MOH (besides that my kids are older) is that I wanted to include more books and they already had the same books I wanted scheduled in. That's a huge plus for me. They also schedule the chapters in SoTW and MOH in aslightly different order to coincide with each civilization. For example, all the chapters on Egypt at once; then, all the chapters on Israel, etc. I also like that it has so many options all coordinated - the maps, the cool history questions, etc. You don't have to use it all; you can just pick and choose.

I haven't decided on the Companion yet. I'm leary of it for several reasons. One, I already have several spines picked out and I'm not sure I want another. Two, it is very new and I haven't read alot of reviews on it yet. Three, while I like curriculum plans put together like this from someone without a history degree, IMO, it's a totally different thing to write a history book. So I'm still trying to decide on that.

Good luck,

The cool histories are based on both SOTW and the Companion. I used the cool histories for littles so they are done orally, but the older ones are worksheets and would beige difficult to do without the companion. Of course you could cross out questions. Year 3 has not been revised yet and I believe those cool histories go with SOTW.

The companion was worth it to me for several reasons

1) it's where all the church history/ biblical worldview takes place

2) the pictures were great and my kids loved viewing them on the iPad

3) the fascinating facts were a great addition as was all the church history

4) it offered me as a teacher the "big picture" even though I wasn't sharing all of it with my kids

5) the companion allowed me to further direct our studies by giving me a tool to pick and choose from for further study from SOTW

I just bought year 3 a few months ago. It's not the totally new version - that is coming out in chunks in 2014-2015. BP told me I could update my guide (digital) for free when the new version comes out (I hope they hold to it). I just bought the guide, the maps, and a print copy of the companion. I plan to use SOTW/History of US as my spines, but I got the companion because I thought it might be need as supplementary material if the kids are really into one topic and because I wanted to check it out. It's not necessary if you are fine using SOTW/MOH as a spine. You could get your own books on church history/missionaries if that is really important to you as well. I may or may not get the cool histories, undecided. I don't plan on the coloring or craft book, we don't use that aspect of the SOTW activity guide as it is. If my kids were into crafts or coloring I would probably get it.

The cool histories are based on both SOTW and the Companion. I used the cool histories for littles so they are done orally, but the older ones are worksheets and would beige difficult to do without the companion. Of course you could cross out questions. Year 3 has not been revised yet and I believe those cool histories go with SOTW.

The companion was worth it to me for several reasons

1) it's where all the church history/ biblical worldview takes place

2) the pictures were great and my kids loved viewing them on the iPad

3) the fascinating facts were a great addition as was all the church history

4) it offered me as a teacher the "big picture" even though I wasn't sharing all of it with my kids

5) the companion allowed me to further direct our studies by giving me a tool to pick and choose from for further study from SOTW

If I don't need the church history/biblical worldview, is the Companion still worth it? Or not needed? Or would I not like it because of that?

Also, how is the writing in it? I don't want textbook (at least any more than SoTW or MOH is) and I don't want fluff/bad writing (I adhere a bit more to CM on that regard).

Thanks,

If I don't need the church history/biblical worldview, is the Companion still worth it? Or not needed? Or would I not like it because of that?

Also, how is the writing in it? I don't want textbook (at least any more than SoTW or MOH is) and I don't want fluff/bad writing (I adhere a bit more to CM on that regard).

Thanks,

If I didn't need the church/biblical history I probably would't bother. You could look up stuff online that interests you. ;) it is definitely a "textbook" and reads as such.

So I'm still confused as to why one would use Biblioplan if they were not using the Companion? Why not just use SOTW and use the AG which gives suggestions for extra books, has maps, coloring pages, etc.? This is what I am trying to figure out. If I want to use Biblioplan, should it be because I want to use the Companion and the Cool Histories? Don't bother with the Cool History worksheets unless you are using the Companion?

I guess I could email the company, too!! Just wondering what people here use and why. I have a hard time thinking my spine will be on my ipad (I'm not huge into kindle or reading on my ipad...). But, the hardcopy is way too much. :/ I like that it lines up things like MOH, SOTW, etc...but not sure it is worth the 35.00.

So I'm still confused as to why one would use Biblioplan if they were not using the Companion? Why not just use SOTW and use the AG which gives suggestions for extra books, has maps, coloring pages, etc.? This is what I am trying to figure out. If I want to use Biblioplan, should it be because I want to use the Companion and the Cool Histories? Don't bother with the Cool History worksheets unless you are using the Companion?

I guess I could email the company, too!! Just wondering what people here use and why. I have a hard time thinking my spine will be on my ipad (I'm not huge into kindle or reading on my ipad...). But, the hardcopy is way too much. :/ I like that it lines up things like MOH, SOTW, etc...but not sure it is worth the 35.00.

I like how BP lays out the literature by grade levels. For the past two years I've just used SOTW+AG, but I have a really hard time figuring out what books would work best, are at the right level, etc. Sometimes I get a book that is recommended and says it's an IR for my son's reading level, but it's too hard, or too easy, or too long. So I find I spend hours picking out books. With BP it's all schedules. I did modify a bit, but it was a whole lot easier. I also like their order of study and how I can use it to schedules A History of US alongside SOTW. I also prefer their maps to the SOTW maps. Their maps, for my son's age, he actually writes in some of the countries and features. It's not just coloring like SOTW.

I did get the ebook for the schedule. Because I write out my own schedule for the year, it was easy to use the ebook and just copy the weekly plans to my own scheduling pages.

If you feel you have the time to sort through the suggested books, etc in SOTW and figure out how to schedule it so it works for you, then that might work best for you. I chose BP largely because it will (and has since I already planned next year) save me A TON of planning time.

I like how BP lays out the literature by grade levels. For the past two years I've just used SOTW+AG, but I have a really hard time figuring out what books would work best, are at the right level, etc. Sometimes I get a book that is recommended and says it's an IR for my son's reading level, but it's too hard, or too easy, or too long. So I find I spend hours picking out books. With BP it's all schedules. I did modify a bit, but it was a whole lot easier. I also like their order of study and how I can use it to schedules A History of US alongside SOTW. I also prefer their maps to the SOTW maps. Their maps, for my son's age, he actually writes in some of the countries and features. It's not just coloring like SOTW.

I did get the ebook for the schedule. Because I write out my own schedule for the year, it was easy to use the ebook and just copy the weekly plans to my own scheduling pages.

If you feel you have the time to sort through the suggested books, etc in SOTW and figure out how to schedule it so it works for you, then that might work best for you. I chose BP largely because it will (and has since I already planned next year) save me A TON of planning time.

So are you only using the family guide and not the companion or cool history? You are using it just to line up SOTW and literature or using more?

So are you only using the family guide and not the companion or cool history? You are using it just to line up SOTW and literature or using more?

Right now I plan to use the family guide and the maps and am planning to use it for lining of SOTW, A History of US, and Literature. I may add in cool histories if I decide we want more. As it is now, we hardly ever do the projects in the SOTW activity guide - rather spend time on science projects. I do have the companion, and plan to use it as a supplement if my kids are interested in further study, but I don't plan to use it as the spine and it may not get used at all. We'll see.