Menu

Reflections on a 17-year Journey

As my friends know, I usually spend my Sunday afternoons working on lesson plans for the coming week of school. This is my "baby" EK's senior year, and in just four days, she will officially complete high school. Just a little while ago, I finished writing the very last of 17 years' worth of lesson plans for my children. How very fitting that this occasion should coincide with Mother's Day!

Because I have homeschooled ER and EK, I have had the privilege of teaching both of them to read and write. I am so proud that each of them has developed a real love for the written word. More importantly, they have also learned to love God's Word, and through our science studies, they have learned to appreciate God's creation. One of my fondest memories is of the time that we all--dh too--got out of bed in the middle of the night to go outside and lie on the trampoline to admire God's handiwork during a meteor shower.

My children have learned that the entire world is God's handiwork; it all belongs to God, and history is really "His story"--the story of God's redemption of mankind through His gift of Jesus Christ. Each year at Christmas, ER and EK and I have shopped together for gifts to send to children in other countries who otherwise might not ever hear of that most precious Gift, and we have prayed together for those children and many others as well.

As we worked on their math lessons, I tried to teach ER and EK not ony to add, subtract, multiply, and divide, but also to count their blessings. I think, though, that throughout 17 years of homeschooling, the biggest blessings of all are the ones that I have received. I am grateful to God for allowing me the opportunity to be my children's teacher. I am so proud of what they and I--with God's guidance--have been able to accomplish. And I will never, ever be able to adequately express how much it has meant to me that dh has supported and encouraged me from beginning to end in this most fulfilling of journeys.

And now, on to the next adventure!

Congratulations ereks mom! :hurray:

And I just looked at your siggy and realized that ER has already graduated college? Boy, the years cycle quickly! I know this must be a poignant, happy-sad season for you. You expressed so well the gift and privilege we have to do this thing -- mothering, educating, discipling -- daily with our children.

Blessings to you as you all celebrate this milestone!

Lisa