Menu

Musty smell in sheets that won't come out!

My mom gave us some nice Pottery Barn sheets. They have this musty smell though, and I've washed them several times now in HOT water with Tide and the smell is still there! Anyone know how to get this smell gone? Thank you!

Can you dry them in the sun?

Oh, I tried that too. I originally dried them in the sun because they had a bit of yellowing on them. The sun got the yellowing out but the musty smell is still there. It's puzzling. I've never had this happen before even with vintage pillowcases. Hmm.

Oh, I tried that too. I originally dried them in the sun because they had a bit of yellowing on them. The sun got the yellowing out but the musty smell is still there. It's puzzling. I've never had this happen before even with vintage pillowcases. Hmm.

Well, my only two other suggestions are washing again in detergent and oxyclean after soaking them in it for a bit -- agitate for a minute beforehand, or washing with a cup of vinegar added to the water.