Menu

Keeping a landline?

DoppeltGemoppelt

Do you have a cell phone?

If not, you could use a VoIP service, but there are some issues with calling emergency numbers using VoIP. This FCC article discusses those.

If you're outside the U.S., Skype allows users to make emergency calls in some countries. For whatever reason, they don't allow U.S. users to make 911 calls using their service.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but don't you still need to give your location if you are calling for an emergency on a cell phone so the responders know where to find you. I have seen kids and even my Mom in a panic situation not be able to remember their own address. This is the reason we still keep a land line plus the fact I can never remember where I last put my cell phone.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but don't you still need to give your location if you are calling for an emergency on a cell phone so the responders know where to find you. I have seen kids and even my Mom in a panic situation not be able to remember their own address. This is the reason we still keep a land line plus the fact I can never remember where I last put my cell phone.

If you have smart911 in your area and register for it you don't. I love it because you also can enter medical information, information on who lives in your house, etc that the emergency personell (and only them) can pull up if they are called to your house in an emergency. It's more information then they'd have with a call from a landline!

https://www.smart911.com/

If you have smart911 in your area and register for it you don't. I love it because you also can enter medical information, information on who lives in your house, etc that the emergency personell (and only them) can pull up if they are called to your house in an emergency. It's more information then they'd have with a call from a landline!

https://www.smart911.com/

I just checked and it's not available :-(

Sounds like a perfect solution though, I can't wait for them to provide it here!

I do not want to keep adding more minutes to yet another cellphone. My son lost his and the minutes ran out by the time he found it again.

Okay, so I guess I'll have to look for the cheapest landline provider :-(

We have a cell phone account for our home. We have a little antenna on a base and can use all of the phones in the house. I don't like it, but it does save some money each month. One negative is that we can't send or receive faxes. We don't have a home business, so it is not that big of an issue, but it was nice to be able to get and send faxes. I miss that.

We've decided to keep our analog land line because it will work during power outages with corded phones. Since we lose power fairly often, I am uncomfortable with only cell phones or with digital phone service. Happened just last week, We lost power because a car accident took out the nearby transformer. We were without power for much of the day.

it is my understanding that with 911 service your location can easily be pinpointed with a landline and this is not the case with a cell. We also keep one corded phone in a jack so we have a phone in a power outage. I have a child with a disability, I know I will always need the security of a landline for 911 service. Besides dealing with persons with disabilities, there may be other instances when you want a landline. Even if you and other family members can speak just fine, will they be able t, po speak just fine under pressure, particularly a younger person. If someone has broken into your home, you may want to call 911, but not speak (I realize that situation is rare, but aren't all uses of 911 ideally rare).