Menu

What is the point of the Duke TIP program?

Okay, I've read through the entire thread and I still have some questions. A third grader could take the SCAT to get into CTY, right? But the SCAT doesn't count for Davidson Gifted, correct? For Davidson Gifted, a third grader would need to do the ACT Explore. But I have no idea if the Explore is offered in our area (Seattle). Also CTY has summer classes in Seattle. So maybe figuring out how/where to take the SCAT would be best. Did I get that right? (Sorry for the lack of paragraphs, something's funny on my browser.) [New Paragraph!] If a kid is accepted into CTY does that also get them in to Davidson Gifted and TIP? Or, do you need to qualify separately for each thing?

Sounds like you've got it!

Explore qualifies for classes with Northwestern NUMATS as well.

SCAT is only used by JHU CTY. It isn't considered for Davidson.

Davidson needs 2 of 3 qualifiers...IQ test, achievement test, or portfolio.

They're looking for way high scores though. We thought it was a real long shot until we saw Explore scores in 4th grade. That was when we got the IQ test done.

You do qualify separately for each, although I imagine if you took Explore through one program, you could use those scores for another that used Explore as well.

Thanks Dana! So, I just looked more into the SCAT and it looks like I missed the boat. The testing for the 2012-2013 grade period ends June 30th. So if I had my DS8 take the SCAT this summer, they would score him against third graders. But if he took the SCAT this week, they'd score him against 2nd graders. [New paragraph!] So when is it best to take the SCAT then. The end of the year? Should I have him take it next spring?

DITD will look at SCAT scores as part of a portfolio as well as CogAT or any other test scores that you might have, but that is in addition to either an IQ test, an individual achievement test like the Woodcock-Johnson, or the EXPLORE/SAT/ACT.

If you cannot find a test center close to you, you can arrange individual administration through Belin-Blank. A credentialed teacher would need to proctor, and I'm pretty sure that it has to be a non-relative.

I'd say it'll depend on what you're looking for from the testing.

My son took it in 2nd grade mostly out of my curiosity. He took it in October or November, I think. Scored high enough (by one point each) to take CTY classes. He did end up taking one of the Young Readers classes in 5th grade. It was a kind of neat experience, but I'm not sure it was neat enough to justify the price :)

If you're just testing out of curiosity, it doesn't matter too much when you test.

If your goal is for class qualification, it depends on when you want to take the class... Better scores are more likely when older, so I'd probably wait until after December if that's your goal.

Good luck!

I did feel that I got more useful info from the Explore than the SCAT.

Also, with Davidson, they are looking for highly gifted high *performers*. If there are any 2E issues, that may be enough to knock kids out of the high-performing category especially when they are young and haven't yet learned to compensate or work around their issues without accommodations.