Menu

Sonlight LA K or AAR1 with Sonlight P4/5

Guest aporthole

Guest aporthole

I've settled on Sonlight P4/5 for this fall. We've been working through Heart of Dakota's Little Hands to Heaven with my newly 4 year old this year. I have not been very happy with it as 90% of it is WAY below his level and he hasn't really learned much. He's known upper and lower case letters plus sounds since just after 2 years old. He can write his name, count to 20, working on counting by 10s, recognizes numbers 1-10 (sometimes mixes up 6 and 9), recognizes about a dozen sight words, and can sound out some cvc words. We are slowly working through Funnix although it's not his favorite and we've taken a break the last couple months. He does generally enjoy worksheets and loves to be read to even from books with minimal pictures. Listening comprehension is phenomenal as is his memory in general.

For this fall, in addition to Sonlight P4/5 we will slowly be going through Singapore Essentials K along with the Mathtacular DVDs and manipulatives.

The big decision still to be made is whether I want to add Sonlight's LA K (and possibly ETC Get Ready, Get Set, and Go for the Code books) OR get something like AAR1 instead.

He will be 4 years 5 months when we start this fall.

So, Sonlight LA K (with or without ETC ABC set)

OR

AAR1

Thanks!

Sonlight Language Arts K is very strange. The Core is more suitable for an older child too. They just doesn't mesh together well.

There is copywork for K before the child learns how to read, but no penmanship practice - like not practicing one letter, no scheduled of it, nothing. The copywork is full sentences from the readers.

Guest aporthole

Thanks for the replies. We are far from ready for full sentance copy work, so that is good to know. We will skip SL LA for now and go with AAR1.

Would the Explode the Code Get Ready/Get Set/Go books be a good supplement to AAR1 or would it be confusing and unnecessary to do both at the same time? It looks like they have some light copy work/letter formation in them. I'm also considering A Reason for Handwriting K to help him with proper letter formation.

I would not combine AAR 1 with ETC unless your child is begging for a workbook. AAR 1 is FULL! My ds would revolt if I added more to it. That said, we do add a handwriting program since AAR is just phonics. AAR and handwriting is perfect for K.