Menu

How to finish the AOPS sequence by senior year?

We are closing to finishing up AOPS PreAlgebra, which will have taken us about 14-15 months to complete.

Currently we devote 1 day for each section's problems and 1 day for each section's exercises. Then several days are spent completing the end of chapter review and challenge problems.

We spend 4 days of the week on AOPS and 1 day a week on competition test prep.

I am writing because I'd like to have her working on calculus during or even before her senior year in high school. But looking ahead, there are 8 more textbooks and my dd will be entering 7th grade next year. If we spend a year on each textbook, we won't make it.

Should I step up our math to 5 days a week? If we took over a year to finish PreAlgebra, how much time can we expect on subsequent textbooks? Should I skip the Number Theory text? (I hate the idea of skipping anything!)

Thanks for your help!

I use AoPS for my three kids. In my experience, if you are going to stick with AoPS and also want to get through all of the books, math needs to be one of the "rigorous" courses in your child's day. My kids devote about 2 hours per day to math during the regular school year and about 1 hour per day during some of the summer.

My oldest is in 10th grade and has taken all of the classes up through calculus. I had him take AP Calc BC this year instead of the AoPS calc class. He will study Intermediate C&P sometime in the next two years before he graduates.

My younger kids are on pace to complete all of the books as well, but math is a big priority in their days during the school year.

HTH a little.

I use AoPS for my three kids. In my experience, if you are going to stick with AoPS and also want to get through all of the books, math needs to be one of the "rigorous" courses in your child's day. My kids devote about 2 hours per day to math during the regular school year and about 1 hour per day during some of the summer.

Thank you, Snowbeltmom. Boy, I thought I was being fairly rigorous already, but it looks like I'm going to need raise the bar.

Follow up questions:

1. How much do your kids accomplish in two hours of AOPS? Would that amount to one whole section (problems and exercises), or maybe 2 sections?

2. Do they do 2 hours of math all in one sitting, or is more like an hour in the morning and another hour in the afternoon or night. To date, my kids have never had evening time homework.

3. Do your kids do schoolwork on the weekends?

Thinking out loud here:

1. I really don't want to skip counting/probability because it is SO important, even if it is considered more of an elective. I had a probability and statistics class in high school and it was so so helpful, more than any other math, except perhaps algebra.

2. When we finish PreAlgebra, and she'll be finished with her online AOPS classes, that will open up some time. We can begin the Algebra text this summer (one hour/day, 5 days/week) and concurrently the Counting/Prob text (one hour/day, 4 days/week) leaving our usual test prep time on Wednesdays.

3. Do I add school work on the weekends or evenings? Is that a topic for another thread?

Thank you, Snowbeltmom. Boy, I thought I was being fairly rigorous already, but it looks like I'm going to need raise the bar.

Follow up questions:

1. How much do your kids accomplish in two hours of AOPS? Would that amount to one whole section (problems and exercises), or maybe 2 sections I never really kept track of how much of a section they got through in that time frame. My oldest always took the online class and I was completely "hands-off". With my 6th grader, she works the practice problems on the whiteboard with me, and then completes the exercises for that section on her own. Most of the time, that material is covered in one day. Also, part of that 2 hours includes Alcumus (for the books that have an Alcumus component.)

2. Do they do 2 hours of math all in one sitting, or is more like an hour in the morning and another hour in the afternoon or night. To date, my kids have never had evening time homeworkc With the exception of the AoPS online class, my kids are done with school work by 2:30 every day. My boys (8th and 10th grade do their math in one sitting. My dd, 6th grade likes to work out of the book in the morning and save Alcumus for the afternoon.

3. Do your kids do schoolwork on the weekends? Not until they get to high school. Then the only school work that is done on the weekend is science labs.