Menu

Has anyone tried this for foreign language learning?

I'm curious. It's available for the language I need and as MP3/PDF (making it accessible) for a very reasonable price. I have spent so much money on stuff to help me learn Khmer. :(

Is this the same program? FSI Spanish Basic Course?

http://archive.org/d...cCourse-Volume1

http://archive.org/d...rse-StudentText

Unless of course the one they are selling is an updated edition ... but I don't know how to tell....

Does anyone know if the one for sale now is an updated version?

ETA: I just saved the audio and text files for this free version to my computer - it sounds old, but has fantasic pronunciation guidance, etc. I think it will be a nice supplement! Thanks for mentioning it!

For what its worth, I looked at the linked Spanish text and it looks just like all the Khmer FSI books I've seen. Having bought and downloaded the Khmer MP3/PDF from the site (30 day money back guarantee plus desperation) I can say that the PDF version at least has the same look and feel. I can't say anything about the content in comparison to the older (free) editions besides that it did not appear immediately the same as the older ones I briefly scanned the beginnings of although that says nothing about the Spanish edition, obviously.

Thank you for the comments so far and the link to free archive material!

I take it there was not a problem downloading the material after purchase? As you work with it more, could you let me know if it seems helpful even though it is a different language? I think the basic system they use is the same for all languages.

No problems downloading. There are auto install files for windows but I have no idea what the windows version gives you. For Mac you just open the PDF with the latest Adobe reader and the PDF has embedded audio links that, when clicked, play the relevant MP3 for the page you're on via iTunes. I haven't had a chance to sit down with it yet but am trying to get to it ASAP and would be happy to return to share thoughts on my experience with it.

Is this the same program? FSI Spanish Basic Course?

http://archive.org/d...cCourse-Volume1

http://archive.org/d...rse-StudentText

Unless of course the one they are selling is an updated edition ... but I don't know how to tell....

Does anyone know if the one for sale now is an updated version?

ETA: I just saved the audio and text files for this free version to my computer - it sounds old, but has fantasic pronunciation guidance, etc. I think it will be a nice supplement! Thanks for mentioning it!

The one I linked to is for Latin American, I think the one you archive is for Spanish as for Spain--I don't know if the new Spanish from Spain ones differ from the archived or not. I am actually not sure right now which is the way to go on Latin American vs. Castillian. Thoughts?

Realizing now that maybe the one is archived though makes me think even more of getting the Latin American one.

SCGS: Thank you! I look forward to hearing more!

I don't have any thoughts re: latin american vs. castillian.... we are using textbooks from the US, and I think they are Latin American... (the only thing I notice right now is that they pretty much ignore vosotros entirely)

I am not sure what level you are looking for but we recently added Duolingo.com, which is free and has varied exercises that force you to listen, read, and type in spanish immediately. It has been good for retention and fun. (we are total beginners......)

I am having fun with Duolingo too! I haven't gotten my son to do it yet though other than a bit as I scribed! He's 11 and the writing part is still hard for him. I just ordered the audioforum course, and hope it will go well. We are trying a bunch of different approaches. We found another good audio at the library called Spanish Essentials, I think, which we have been playing in the car, and turned on the Spanish subtitles for a Harry Potter movie.

• 3 weeks later...

We ended up making use of the 30-day money back guarantee. The Khmer course was not substantially different than older editions freely available online (one I found recently looks exactly the same). There appears to have been no trouble getting the refund.

We ended up making use of the 30-day money back guarantee. The Khmer course was not substantially different than older editions freely available online (one I found recently looks exactly the same). There appears to have been no trouble getting the refund.

Thanks very much for posting this follow up info! Great to know.