Menu

One more math thread- BJU math? Dolciani?

I started a thread yesterday about what to do with my dd who struggles with math. I am considering going with Dolciani's texts after SM 6B and working through that at a pace dd requires. However, just this morning I had someone strongly recommend BJU math as a very solid prep for high school.

I have never looked at BJU materials and know nothing about them. This lady has used BJU in the past and has friends who have but no longer has her books so I can't look through them. I also see online that there are no placement tests so I don't even know if it's realistic that dd will be able to do BJU grade 7 in the fall (once completed SM 6B).

Anybody have any thoughts on this? I really appreciate all the advice so far!!

Jane, I don't think BJU would be the best choice based on what you described in your first thread. The reason for this is that BJU is known to be one of the more rigorous/difficult/challenging programs. If your dd is struggling with Saxon and SM right now this may become yet another struggle. It seems like you got some good advice in the first thread. Dolciani is a good Pre-A program. However the greater concern is really that she masters primary math first *before* moving into Pre-A. She needs to have her fractions/percents/decimals down. Take a look at Derek Owens also which is a great Pre-A once she's ready - http://www.lucideduc...ealgebraPre.php

Lastly try some of these out *with* her to avoid the common mistake of picking something which works good for someone else's child but not necessarily for her. Its time to tailor a program to her learning style (kinesthetic, auditory, visual, etc...) and interests/preferences which can really help all parties involved. Her feedback and input can help you help her.

Jane, I don't think BJU would be the best choice based on what you described in your first thread. The reason for this is that BJU is known to be one of the more rigorous/difficult/challenging programs. If your dd is struggling with Saxon and SM right now this may become yet another struggle. It seems like you got some good advice in the first thread. Dolciani is a good Pre-A program. However the greater concern is really that she masters primary math first *before* moving into Pre-A. She needs to have her fractions/percents/decmals down. Take a look at Derek Owens also which is a great Pre-A once she's ready - http://www.lucideduc...ealgebraPre.php

Lastly try some of these out *with* her to avoid the common mistake of picking something which works good for someone else's child but not necessarily for her. Its time to tailor a program to her learning style (kinesthetic, auditory, visual, etc...) and interests/preferences which can really help all parties involved. Her feedback and input can help you help her.

Thanks for your candid reply. I appreciate it. I know nothing about BJU other than this lady telling me it was the cat's meow. If it's one of the more rigorous programs, it's definitely not for us. LOL Not at this time anyways. I'm not rushing into Pre-A, don't get me wrong. I DO, however, want to get my hands on some materials and have them in my house to look over during the coming months. I don't want to make a last minute decision, if that makes sense. I'm hoping to get a few different programs for us to look over together and go from there. However, I don't want to spend money willy-nilly either so your input is valuable to me. Thank you!

Yes, I understand this. I'm a bit of a research nut and like to start planning our class(es) while our dc are still completing their current ones. So I did as you are doing for Pre-A and Algebra. For Pre-A I ended up with three different texts (Dolciani, Lials & MUS). However in the end I narrowed my choices down to Derek Owens and TabletClass after thoroughly reviewing these texts and online course contents with ds11 and my dw. Once we got rolling into TC the research paid off. But like any program its not for everyone. That's why I encourage folks to go through the review process themselves since one size will never fit all. Different students have different learning styles and are at different stages developmentally, especially during this transition from concrete to abstract reasoning.