Menu

What is on your "teacher" summer reading list?

I'm reading Amy Chua's Tiger Mom book now.

(Yes, I'm dropping a bomb with no explanation, hahaha.)

LOL I actually really enjoyed that book. I read it just to see what the hype was about.

I want to re-read the grammar stage section of TWTM, plus read at least one book on Charlotte. Either one of her actual books (I own the set) or, more realistically, When Children Love to Learn.

I'd like to finish up Why Don't Students Like School? and Teaching the Trivium. Then I want to read The Self-Propelled Advantage and re-read Real Learning. If I have any more time, I'll pick at my Pinterest book list. Oh, and I've also started Educating the WholeHearted Child. :tongue_smilie:

LOL, I loved Tiger Mom too. Will probably reread it at some point, even. :)

My goal is to finish The Writers Jungle, and also read a Charlotte Mason inspired book, probably same as a PP... When Children Love to Learn.

Also, not reading but educating myself, in the next couple weeks, I will be watching the Structure and Style Overview DVD (Not the full TWSS). I have the Ancient History Theme book and trying to decide if this is the right program for us.

I've only skimmed TWTM, so I might delve a little deeper in to that.

Thanks to the other thread "Why Don't Students Like School?" is on it's way from Amazon. :)

I finally watched/ did the Teaching the Classics DVD class/seminar, so I'm going to read through a couple children's books and analyze them myself before I take the kids through one.

I hope to re-read Knowing and Understand Elementary Mathematics, and hopefully Kitchen Table Math, too.

In a perfect world....

We'll see how this matches up with reality. First we have to get to an acceptable (to me) stopping point so we actually get a summer break, which may not happen - we've had quite a few winter & spring "breaks".

In this case, my reading will go a lot slower. Darn kids think they need to eat and socialize and whatnot, on top of being educated (which they'd rather not do). ;)

I tend to wallow in teacher reading as well as curricula, and I'm learning it's more important to read and reread and reread my favorites. This is my core list right now that I'm concentrating on.

How to Tutor

TWTM first edition 1999 especially how to notebook and use trade books as textbooks.

Guide to American Christian Education How to notebook and the math

Hearing and Reading, Telling and Writing

Simply Charlotte Mason Mathematics

African Waldorf Pdfs. Christian and low income friendly.

Eclectic Manual of Methods vintage

Train Up a Child Amish educational practices.

Jumbo Book of Music low income friendly

For newbies I also recommend at least skimming these oldschool books.

No Regrets

Teenaged Liberation Handbook

Homeschooling for Excellence

I just made my list up yesterday:

The Mind That Changes Itself

Mindset

Raising A Right-Brained Child in a Left-Brained World

The Knowledge Deficit

Escaping the Endless Adolscence

The Unwritten Rules of Friendship

Why Don't Students Like School

Seven Times the Sun

Oak Meadow PRE-K teacher books

TWTM because I do that at least once a year.

I am going to get a few new audio's from PHP as well. I have two and they really help and encourage me.

I might read ahead on some of the older kids books. I never find the time for that.

Oh, and in case the Auntie Mame reference makes no sense, it's how she educates the boy and then what happens when he gets sent away to the prim and proper school... So Auntie Mame plus WTM plus Chua = healthy, balanced life? I don't know, lol. There definitely are those balances though.

I will be reading and rereading the books I will be teaching from starting in August. Statistics by Life of Fred and a Criminal Justice Text. Yes, I do know the subjects well (I have a MS in Criminal Justice and all my coursework and tests (including Stat and Research Methodology) done for a PhD but no dissertation because I left to homeschool) but I have never read these particular books.

I have three things on my summer list (which started this week!) to help me refine and fill out my teaching goals:

• The backlog of posts at Lene's Classical Writing blog;
  • How to Hold on To Your Kids, Gordon Neufeld (revisiting this after many years);
  • Knowledge Deficit, Hirsch (thank you previous thread)

I'm pretty sure this just starts my summer! I have a lot on my substantive booklist as well so it should be a great summer of reading!

Lisa

Another vote for enjoying Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mom! Makes me feel like such a slacker but I know there's a happy medium somewhere.

This summer I'm focusing on The Well Educated Mind--for myself! Also finishing up LCC and Climbing Parnassus (which I don't enjoy nearly as much as I thought I would. He seems a little stuffy and overblown.) I'll probably dig into anything that can help with copywork and dictation because we sorely lack writing skills. I've really been putting that off.

I loved this book! I wish I could BE a Tiger Mom...but alas, I am a Jewish Mom....wait, I'll make you a brisket.

The Tiger Mom is married to a Jewish guy with very laid back parents. As far as I know, she has never accounted for the fact that she and her husband have almost identical education and careers, but his family is very low stress.

I loved every scene in her book with the father in law. Like when he suggested the kids learn the recorder. She, instead, planned their family vacations around how they'd find a piano for her daughter's daily practice! Ha.

My stack of books for this spring/summer planning is embarrassing, and still growing.

WTM

Climbing Parnassus

Sayers

Norms and Nobility

Sister Miriam Joseph

(notice the classical theme)

Out-of-sync Child

Building Bridges Through Sensory Integration

Parent's Guide to Childhood Apraxia of Speech

the majority of MIT's Opencourseware Speech Pathology offerings, texts, lecture notes, etc :huh:

rereading the Optimistic Child

(my special/emotional needs reading)

SWB's History of the Ancient World

almost a dozen different works cited in the reading I've done so far on history in the Americas

about that many resources on Paleontology, Archaeology, fossils, geology, earth science, etc

rereading WRTR

(my prereading/background reading for some subjects next year)

It's safe to say I'm not going to get it all in by the end of summer.

Climbing Parnassus (although I too am finding this a bit stuffy - but have only just started)

The Talent Code: Unlocking the Secret of Skill in Sports, Art, Music, Math, and Just About Everything Else

The Great Tradition: Classic Readings on What it Means to be an Educated Human Being

Marva Collins Way

Thomas Jefferson Education for Teens (reread for me)

Climbing Parnassus (although I too am finding this a bit stuffy - but have only just started)

The Talent Code: Unlocking the Secret of Skill in Sports, Art, Music, Math, and Just About Everything Else

The Great Tradition: Classic Readings on What it Means to be an Educated Human Being

Marva Collins Way

Thomas Jefferson Education for Teens (reread for me)

The Marva Collins and TJE threads were volatile weren't they? :lol:

I always suggest starting CP with part 2. Seriously skip part 1 and go right to part 2, IF you get bogged down in it. Yes CP lovers, I know SOME people love part 1, but OTHERS do better skipping ahead and then going back to reread part 1 later on.

The Tiger Mom is married to a Jewish guy with very laid back parents. As far as I know, she has never accounted for the fact that she and her husband have almost identical education and careers, but his family is very low stress.

Okay, that makes my day. Seriously. And she didn't mention it at all in her book? Interesting.

Building Bridges Through Sensory Integration

Parent's Guide to Childhood Apraxia of Speech

the majority of MIT's Opencourseware Speech Pathology offerings, texts, lecture notes, etc :huh:

rereading the Optimistic Child

(my special/emotional needs reading)

Wow. I need to check these books out. Or maybe you can should me the summaries.

I always suggest starting CP with part 2. Seriously skip part 1 and go right to part 2, IF you get bogged down in it. Yes CP lovers, I know SOME people love part 1, but OTHERS do better skipping ahead and then going back to reread part 1 later on.

Part 1 was a tough slog for me. I'd read a few pages, then I'd think a bit. I rarely spend so much time on a book.

We school year round, but I have more time to read in the summer since we don't have as much other stuff going on. So, this is my chance to finally finish books that I cannot seem to finish:

Herodotus The Histories

Poetic Knowledge

Charlotte Mason Book 6: Philosophy of Education

I think I can, I think I can...

I have a gigantic list of books I have to read. I've been meaning to write down a list so I can cross them off as they are done.

Here are the ones I remember (which is only about 10% of them rofl):

* Finish the Big Book of Unschooling

* Finish Understanding Waldorf Education: Teaching from the Inside Out

* Finish Simplicity Parenting (I've read 1/3 of it, and speed-read the rest, but I want to go back over it)

* Smart Moves

* Things we wished we'd known

* Finish Child of Wonder

* Re-read (in full) The Well-Trained Mind

* The 3 R's Ruth Beechick

* Brave Writer

* Radical Unschooling

* 101 reasons why I am an Unschooler - Pirro

* Buddhism for Mothers

* Zen and the Art of Motherhood (I think thats what its called? rofl)

* Nebel's Elementary Education

* Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding

* Re-read The Waldorf Curriculum Overview

* Kingdom of Childhood-Steiner (Book Study)

* Maybe - Endangered Minds (I'm still unsure about this one, its more of a negative book, that I already mostly agree with)

and Im guesstimating about another 20 books I have in digital and paperback format, that I have forgotten. I really need a list lol. As soon as my Filofax punch gets here, I'm going to punch a brightly coloured piece of paper into the front of my Filo, and write down everything I need to read in one place. And those are just the books I currently have (except Endangered Minds), I have my eye on several others, but I promised myself, no more teacher books till I have read most of the ones I have (although to be fair, I have read about another 20 in full in the past 3 months, with chick-lit/fluffy crud in between to sooth my brain, so I'm slowly working on it, that list was much bigger). I keep my current mom-read in my sig, as a reminder and butt-kicker, to get me to finish that one, study and reflect, in full, before moving onto the next. I have read about 15-30 fluff books whilst the unschooling book has been in my signature, obviously hsing by itself, means my brain needs to wind-down.

Child is mummy-ing me, gotta go.

Okay, that makes my day. Seriously. And she didn't mention it at all in her book? Interesting

I did read several articles about Chua and listen to her interview on Diane Rehm, but everything I know about her husband and his family, I got from her book. She clearly states what her husband does and that he has a laid back, well educated, professional family. She has some issues with her husband being not accomplished enough or something, but seriously, I think among various ethnic groups, Jews are totally inspiring! More so than that tiger mom. Sorry, Amy Chua, but I grew up with friends with that kind of parent. Not pretty. And I have seen what some Jewish mothers say about Asian American youth playing their instrument like doing a military exercise. I like one idea of hers: show your kids you have high expectations or a good opinion of them, but everything else, NO.

I did read one book on Jewish parenting, maybe it's time to reread it. Ha. Wendy Mogel, Blessing of a Skinned Knee. Her book for parents of teens is Blessing of a B Minus.

Oh my, yes they were volatile! LOL!!

And thanks for the tip - I may just do that - skip to part 2... and then go back to part 1 later...

We will be moving onto the 19th century. Four years ago I covered lit for this time period. On this cycle I'm picking off topics in history that interest me.

I need to wrap up this year with The Essential Federalist and Anti-Federalist Papers.

I also did two books on the Civil War four years ago. I have one book left for the basics on that: The Compact History of the Civil War. I then want to explore The Civil War as a Theological Crisis.

And likely sometime during the next year I will tackle Modern Revivalism: Charles Grandison Finney to Billy Graham.

I haven't read it in a while, but Top of the Class is a saner version of Tiger Mom. I may re-read it soon.

Rafe Esquith is also worth revisiting, both There Are No Shortcuts and Teach Like Your Hair Is on Fire, and of course I'll be planning with The Well Trained Mind in hand.

For new reading, I hope to get back to last year's book that I never finished: Teach Like a Champion.

edited to add: go home, size-changing fonts, you are drunk!

These I found at garage sale:

Home Grown Kids and Home Style Teaching by the Moore's

You Can Teach Your Child Sucessfully by Ruth Beechick

These I got from the Prufrock Press sale (I don't even have a gifted student. But, hey, they were darn cheap, and I might learn something helpful anyhow.):

Math Education for Gifted Kids by Susan K. Johnsen, Ph.D.

Identifying Gifted Students: a practical guide by Susan K. Johnsen, Ph.D.

Developing Leadership Potential in Gifted Students by Suzanne M. Bean, Ph.D.

Educating Gifted Students in Middle School: a practical guide by Susan Rakow, Ph.D.

and so that you know I don't buy gifted books only written by Susans (or some variation)

20 Ideas for Teaching Gifted Kids in the Middle School & High School by Joel McIntosh

These are for professional development in a particular area or research:

Dr. Wright's Kitchen Table Math 1 & 2

String, Straightedge, & Shadow: The Story of Geometry by Julia E. Diggins

Classroom Techniques: Foreign Languages and English as a Second Language

Shadowplay by Clare Asquith (If I can keep from throwing it across the room this time ;) )

The Book of Common Prayer: The Texts of 1549, 1559, and 1662

The Writing Road to Reading (again)

No More I'm Done and Deconstructing Penguins (again)

Teaching the Classics DVD seminar (first alone, then hosting a circle of friends)

Preparing Your Preschooler for Reading: A Book of Games

Strong-Willed Child or dreamer? (a parenting book, I know, but I'm hoping it will make school easier)

ETA: I forgot WTM (again)