Menu

Odd things you do when you're homesick...

We go through occasional bouts of missing the mainland and some of the things we can do there. The other day both dds got talking about Ikea of all things and how they miss eating the Swedish meatballs w/ Lingonberries... so guess what we are having for dinner tonight? Yup! Right down to the Lingonberries (which are quite pricey!). The whole family is psyched... "Tonight is Ikea Night!" Pitiful, huh?

I'm sorry you're homesick! I know how that feels. I had no idea you could eat Swedish meatballs at Ikea! I've never been there - the closest one to us is a bout 2 hours away and I've yet to be inspired. I might be now though!

I have never had Lingonberries and had no idea you could buy them in a store. Are they sweet berries like raspberries?

I have made blueberry jam and tried to give it away when I've been homesick. You know what's funny? People in NC do not seem to be familiar with blueberry jam! They all love peach, but they look at me askance when I suggest blueberry. That's OK though - more for me! :D

Lingonberries are a sort of perserve... a little tart... like tiny pitless cherries would be my best description. I've only ever had them at Ikea (they're a Swedish berry).

We aren't miserable homesick mind you... just get missing some things at times.

I have made blueberry jam and tried to give it away when I've been homesick. You know what's funny? People in NC do not seem to be familiar with blueberry jam! They all love peach, but they look at me askance when I suggest blueberry. That's OK though - more for me! :D

I was introduced to "high bush" blueberries when we lived in NC. I love blueberries (although raspberries are still my all-time favorite!) One of my favorite memories came when I'd gone blueberry picking w/ a friend. I washed the berries and covered my kitchen table w/ them to dry prior to freezing them. While in another room I kept hearing the kitchen table leaf banging... couldn't figure out what was going on until I peeked around the corner and saw my big lab-mix dog bonking his head against the table to get the berries to roll off onto the floor so he could eat them!:lol: I loved that dog, even though he never stopped eating!