Menu

Menu Gurus: How much meat for 14 and which sides

KungFuPanda

Hello Ladies,

I'm hosting a bluegrass evening in my home tomorrow. I'm generally more interested in the menu than practicing my songs (they include me, but I'm not one of the real musicians). Tomorrow I plan to make pulled pork BBQ for 14 people. I'm not sure how many lbs of pork roast I should buy or which sides I'd like to serve.

I'm thinking

Pulled pork sandwiches

Coleslaw

Some sort of vegetables

Maybe potato salad

Thoughs? Suggestions? Shortcuts?

When I make shredded beef I figure 1/4 lb. of meat per sandwich. For 14 people, maybe 20 sandwiches? So at least 7lbs, to account for fat, gristle, blechy stuff...that is for beef. Probably more for pork, bc of higher fat?

I'd start cooking I tonight in the crockpot.

Sides sound good...but maybe Mac and cheese instead of potato salad. Applesauce is also yummy with pulled pork.

I plan about 1/4 pound per person. Not sure if that's correct, but it works well for me. I would plan about one more pound on top of that, just in case, and pulled pork would make for good leftovers.

I think your menu looks great! A few ideas that go over well at our house are baked beans, Italian pasta salad, broccoli/raisin salad, ramen noodle salad.

if it's boneless pork - I'd do about 1/3 lb per person. more if there are lots of men, and/or larger buns.

potato salad

bbq beans

veggie tray

coleslaw

corn on the cob if you can find some (sometimes available in the freezer this time of year)

a good green salad

I was thinking two 4ish lb pork roasts should be enough. I DO like the Mac n cheese idea, and then coleslaw and a salad should be enough. Desert is an ice cream bar this time. I never have room for dessert at these things, but some people are better than I at controlling themselves during dinner. :-/

I LOVE beans too, but we had a big ol pot of pintos at the last gathering, so I'm trying not to repeat too much. Like I said, I'm more interested in the menu than the music. Keep the ideas coming. We do this every month. The theme is Hootenanny,

In my family when we do meals like that with the pork for big gatherings it usually includes this:

BBQ Pork

Baked Beans

Mac N Cheese

Potato Salad

Deviled Eggs

Green Beans (because I can't stand not having something green on the plate! LOL one alternative I have done to this was spinach salad)

Watermelon

Veggies & Dip Tray

Of course not everyone gets everything but a combination of any of the above is really yummy!

For pulled pork sandwiches I would figure about 1/2lb uncooked per person. Once its cooked down you will probably have some left overs depending on the size of the buns.

My sides would be: pasta salad, coleslaw, veggie tray and fruit tray. For dessert I would make a cookie tray or grandmas oatmeal cake.

I just made pulled pork for 14 people on Sunday. I got two 7 lb. bone-in pork shoulders. This allowed for some leftovers, which are always a good thing! We also had coleslaw, baked beans, and french fries.

But, but, but . . .that's a pound per person! How much was left over? I don't want to run out, but my family just does not care for leftovers, so I try not to have too many.

Ummmmm . . . I put the meat in this morning so I can't shred until 3pm. I know, I know, I should've put it in last night, but I got home late and just couldn't. I'm heading to the store now for the rest of the ingredients. I figure I can shop, clean make mac n cheese and coleslaw all before the pork is ready. I'm hoping to make the Mac n cheese late enough that I don't have to clear fridge space for it.

We could definitely use an extra pork shredder/clapper with a few musicians. They gave me ONE song to learn on the dulcimer so I have to cram that in sometime today. They really don't expect much from me musically :-)