Menu

Paleo/whole30/gluten/dairy free people?

Murphy101

I'm wondering if we can share restuarant options? Both places to not go and places that work easily?

I'm not über strict, but I'll shae what I have found worked and didn't.

Red Robin

They have a lettuce wrap royal that I really like. I don't order lettuce either though bc the one time I ordered it with a lettuce bun, there was so much lettuce I couldn't put the burger in my mouth. LOL. I order avocado on it, which really fills the cheese gap.

Texas Roadhouse

Any steak, with mushrooms and onions on it. Side of sweet potato and brocoli. (butter only. I know that's a no no, but I'm not far enough gone to give up butter yet! )

Bonefish Grill

Awful. Don't bother going. They have nothing for you to eat there.

Ha.. I don't eat any of the dressings any more unless I get a burr to make a homemade vinegrette. I just ask for a side of lemon wedges and that's enough for me.

With Whole30, I couldn't have had most of what you listed, but by golly I'm looking into PF Chang!!! I love them on the rare occassion we splurge to eat there every couple years.

Doing some searching.

I found this for Panera which I never would have even bothered to go to otherwise.

http://mypanera.panerabread.com/articlestips/article/access-into-paneras-hidden-menu/

I am down to two restaurant chains that don't make me feel sick (on my gluten and dairy-free diet): Chipotle and Pei Wei. Pei Wei is owned by PF Chang's and has a gluten-free menu you can ask for. I have given up on almost all other restaurants because they left me feeling yucky or I kept finding out that they put gluten in everything, even stuff it has no business being in, maybe just for fun!

There is a Mongolian grill near me that will cook your food separately if you have allergies. I tried that until the last time we went, I watched the cook using the same stirring swords as he used for everyone else's food. What if I'd had anaphalatic allergies and was in the bathroom at the time and didn't see this? I concluded that almost no restaurants train their employees well (or the employees don't care) and they can't be trusted not to contaminate my food.

I don't have much to offer but I'm listening in, we don't have a lot of options here but we do travel some. PF Chang is very good but still LOTS of soy items. Panera has a very good book that lists the ingredients for everything. It seems I've seen a PeiWei and Spaghetti Factory before so we will have to check that out. I always like to be able to do something different for the kids. Our last trip to St Louis I searched around and found some W30 suggestions and we ate at local/non-chain places it was AWESOME. One place butchered their own meat and made their own cheese. Another had these bowls they made and for a base you could do baked sweet potato instead of rice or noodles.

Chik fil a has gluten free grilled chicken but it is not grain free or such.

My celiac-corn-dairy-tropical-oil-allergy friend reports that she can eat at Red Robin, Five Guys and Fries, PF Chang, and Olive Garden (salad at OG, which must be made in a new, clean, unused bowl, without croutons; she has to carefully instruct new servers, and then she waits for awhile before leaving the restaurant after she finishes eating...just in case...). She can have soy in general, but tofu hurts her; we think it must make gluten in the process of going from soybeans to tofu. Oh, and EarthBalance doesn't work for her because it has palm oil, maybe also corn?

Five Guys Burgers and Fries is great. If you tell them you have an allergy they will be careful to reduce cross contamination as much as possible. They do not offer chicken strips, onion rings or anything else that needs to be deep fried so there is no chance of contaminated oil. I have never had a side effect at 5 guys.

In my little town, the only restaurant I feel I can eat in without trouble is Wendy's. It has become our safety when we need to eat on the run; so much so, the staff knows our order by heart.

This is a great thread and I am keeping notes for when I go out of town. I have never heard of some of these places (Pei Wei) and am wondering if they might be regional.

--

ETA: Googled Pei Wei - there are 4 in IL; all in or near Chicago. I will be in Chicago later this month. Maybe I can find one and give it a try.

Moe's - they even have grass-fed, grass-finished beef. Obviously don't eat the tortilla :)

Some Mexican restaurants - you'll have to check with your local ones - you can get the fajitas with just the meat, veggies, and guacamole and salsa. Depending on their marinades and such it can be very safe. Also - bring a bag of fried plantain chips to dip in your salsa.

Also depending on the local chain - Brazilian Steakhouses can be a good bet. They will usually have at least a few good gluten-free options. Some of those may still have soy-sauce type marinades, though, so beware.

If youre doing Whole30 a lot of fast food places are not compliant.

Chipotle: get salad bowl no dressing, carnitas is only compliant meat, cooked in lard I think, mild or hot sauces lettuce with guacamole. The veggies are cooked in soybean oil.

Culvers: just the burger patties, lettuce, onion, tomatoes.

Many places that have grilled chicken will often use corn starch like the chicken at culvers.

I ate at Chilis this weekend, and I think I did all right with their tilapia (with a mango/avocado salsa) and steamed broccoli. It came with a side of rice that I just skipped. I probably should have just asked for more broccoli in place of the rice, but I didn't think of it at the time. Their "guiltless grill" menu includes a 6-ounce sirloin with broccoli that looks like a good choice, too.

I don't have any food allergies or sensitivities, though, so I wouldn't have known if there were any hidden ingredients.

Moe's - they even have grass-fed, grass-finished beef. Obviously don't eat the tortilla :)

Some Mexican restaurants

Moe's has gluten in their tortilla chips, too. Why? I have no idea. I've only eaten there a few times, not enough to know if their food makes me feel yucky. I like Chipotle better.

I live in an area with many Latinos and still, every Mexican restaurant I've been too tastes exactly the same. The food is always bland. Chipotle's tomatillo salsa is far better. Also, the Mexican restaurants near me can't seem to remember to not put cheese on my food when I ask. Between the bland food, the highly processed ingredients, and the yucky way I feel after eating at them, I have given up on Mexican restaurants.

Ha.. I don't eat any of the dressings any more unless I get a burr to make a homemade vinegrette. I just ask for a side of lemon wedges and that's enough for me.

With Whole30, I couldn't have had most of what you listed, but by golly I'm looking into PF Chang!!! I love them on the rare occassion we splurge to eat there every couple years.

Doing some searching.

I found this for Panera which I never would have even bothered to go to otherwise.

http://mypanera.pane...as-hidden-menu/

I printed the Panera site announcement of the hidden menu to take with me, in case my local Panera claims ignorance, lol.

We went to Red Robin today when we were in the Cities. I had the turkey burger with sweet potato fries. The server told me they have GF buns so I agreed to get one. I just couldn't bring myself to eat it, though. It has been too long since I had any type of bread that I haven't made or Schar brand. I ended up leaving it on the plate and praying for no symptoms from cross contamination. So far, so good. I am a little sad about the bun, however, because they charged me $1 for it. Maybe I will get over my anxiety and try it in the future.

We went to Red Robin today when we were in the Cities. I had the turkey burger with sweet potato fries. The server told me they have GF buns so I agreed to get one. I just couldn't bring myself to eat it, though. It has been too long since I had any type of bread that I haven't made or Schar brand. I ended up leaving it on the plate and praying for no symptoms from cross contamination. So far, so good. I am a little sad about the bun, however, because they charged me $1 for it. Maybe I will get over my anxiety and try it in the future.

They are the Udis buns and they are quite good. Though I do prefer just lettuce wrapped myself.

I've had good luck at RR. Did you request they cook your fries in a dedicated gf fryer? Some RRs do that, others will tell you they can't do it. That's the only part of RR I've had issues of cross contamination with, so I usually just get broccoli or the fruit salad.

Can I hijack the thread a bit and ask why ya'll are on this diet? How has it helped? What are the greatest benefits and what are your cheapest meals?

We've been flirting with aspects of it for several months but have wholly committed to it 2 weeks ago. My kids are still bemoaning thier fate and I am praying I can get our food bill under control soon.

Can I hijack the thread a bit and ask why ya'll are on this diet? How has it helped? What are the greatest benefits and what are your cheapest meals?

We've been flirting with aspects of it for several months but have wholly committed to it 2 weeks ago. My kids are still bemoaning thier fate and I am praying I can get our food bill under control soon.

This might help: http://forums.welltr...and-wheat-free/

This one was started a couple of weeks ago: http://forums.welltr...-free-how-long/

and here's a link to the social group: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/groups/117-gluten-free-homeschoolers/

Welcome to the crazy Gluten Free world!

I can find an option most places, but Mexican and Asian restaurants seem to be easiest.

Also, the appetizer menu is usually a great way to order (ahi tuna stacks, clams or mussels, add a salad).

Even if we are at a brewery (popular here) I can order a grass-fed burger "protein style", meaning no bun. I'll often order a Caesar salad topped with grilled wild salmon (no croutons, and just allow the Parmesan cheese for the evening).

My dc and I are sensitive to gluten/dairy. Both boys get "allergy shiners"- those red rings under their eyes- after eating gluten/dairy and it almost always comes with behavioral issues. One gets more aggressive, the other highly emotional and irritable. They react similarly to artificial additives so we avoid processed foods as well.

As for becoming grain-free (Paleo), we follow the 80/20 rule. This is waaaay harder for my family than it is to be GF/CF. However, the research I've done about grain consumption is that it often leads to tooth decay and is hard on our bodies (digestion), if not prepared properly. Nourishing Traditions goes into proper preparation and it's a lot of work! Many native cultures soaked and fermented grains before consuming them to make them more digestible.

We find we all feel better, concentrate better, rest better, train better, etc when we are GF/CF and Paleo.

This is not to say we limit carbs, especially for the children. We eat plenty of raw honey, fruits and veggies.

I just posted an update to why I am doing and how well it's working for me.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/472394-weight-loss-update/#entry4953785

I will say I indulged yesterday by having 1 funnel cake. I thoroughly regret it. Ug. Stomach felt like someone inflated a balloon in it and then tied it into one of those poodle balloons.

I am not a diet person. Mostly I think they don't work unless its something you do for life. But Whole30 is designed to not be for life unless you find some components helpful, then you stick with those.

For GF (I'm not following a diet, but have gluten issues):

For fast food, Hardee's has a "low carb" option for any of their burgers to be wrapped in lettuce. Burger King will also do that.

Olive Garden has GF pasta, and protocols in place for its preparation.

Ruby Tuesday has GF options as well, and an online guide to food allergy compliant offerings.

My suggestion for meals is to first look at what you already eat and how you can modify it.

For example taco salad. Just remove the chips and cheese. Just about any diced or shredded meat dish that you normally serve over rice or pasta can be modified to serve over lettuce instead. Moroccan chicken is another example.

This is the cheapest bc you aren't doing anything different, just omitting a couple ingredients.

Next cheapest option is to widen your spice and herb cabinet. Spice is the difference between having chicken every night vs having BBQ rub, roast, and so forth. It might be an added expense but it goes a long way and makes cheap foods more versatile.

Pinterest is my BFF. My dh is a foodie and LOVES me being on pinterest. Find 1 or 2 recipes that look like a real enjoyment to eat. It doesn't have to be expensive or complicated. But it really helps on those days when you want to quit to make and enjoy a delicious meal that fits your needs. It's a real pick me up.

Lastly, do make a list of some places you can eat out on occassion. For the first time in 18 years we are at a place in our marriage and child rearing where we can go alone for a lunch or dinner date and dh was loath to give that up. So he made the effort to check menus at some places. We has some busts. But we've been surprised that we usually could find something.

Note: I do not have a serious medical aversion to gluten or dairy or the other Whole30 no nos. so I can risk things like cross contamination or to not stress if the seasoning they used had a minute amount of milk powder added. Though I can't handle MSG and I've had the unfortunate discovery that it is creeping back into things.

Hth

I called ahead to PF Changs and told them we have both dairy and sesame allergies and asked our options. The manager said that all of their chicken is coated in a liquid that contains dairy, but that he would put some aside before coating it. I was thrilled then, but not so thrilled when ds has a dairy reaction that night. Clearly something did not go right with their preparation of his "dairy free" meal. Bummer. My sesame free dd also had problems that night.

I called ahead to PF Changs and told them we have both dairy and sesame allergies and asked our options. The manager said that all of their chicken is coated in a liquid that contains dairy, but that he would put some aside before coating it. I was thrilled then, but not so thrilled when ds has a dairy reaction that night. Clearly something did not go right with their preparation of his "dairy free" meal. Bummer. My sesame free dd also had problems that night.

Oh my goodness! I've been watching this thread and was excited about investigating PF Chang's. What happened to your DD? My DS is anaphylactic to sesame, and I shudder to think what could happen.

Our restaurant choices are very limited due to LTFAs in addition to dairy/gluten allergies (not LTFA so far), but Red Robin has always come through for us. Their allergy protocol is good. A manager always greets us, cleans our table/chairs with a clean rag, and personally prepares DS's food from the allergy menu. For people for whom this us a lifestyle choice, that may be overkill, but it's wonderful for anyone dealing with anaphylactic allergies.

Chipotle is good, too.

Has anyone here used the AllerEats website lately? That might be useful for gluten/dairy issues.

I wonder if it was cross-contamination. I don't know how good their protocols are.

Oh my goodness! I've been watching this thread and was excited about investigating PF Chang's. What happened to your DD? My DS is anaphylactic to sesame, and I shudder to think what could happen.

Our restaurant choices are very limited due to LTFAs in addition to dairy/gluten allergies (not LTFA so far), but Red Robin has always come through for us. Their allergy protocol is good. A manager always greets us, cleans our table/chairs with a clean rag, and personally prepares DS's food from the allergy menu. For people for whom this us a lifestyle choice, that may be overkill, but it's wonderful for anyone dealing with anaphylactic allergies.

Chipotle is good, too.

Has anyone here used the AllerEats website lately? That might be useful for gluten/dairy issues.

dd just gets stomach cramps from sesame and that is what happened.

I wonder if it was cross-contamination. I don't know how good their protocols are.

When we've eaten there they have been awesome. Took forever to get our meal because they used fresh everything.

That being said we one went when we had gluten & egg allergies. Haven't been since we added dairy, sesame & others. W tried to go last night by they were booked

My celiac-corn-dairy-tropical-oil-allergy friend reports that she can eat at Red Robin, Five Guys and Fries, PF Chang, and Olive Garden (salad at OG, which must be made in a new, clean, unused bowl, without croutons; she has to carefully instruct new servers, and then she waits for awhile before leaving the restaurant after she finishes eating...just in case...). She can have soy in general, but tofu hurts her; we think it must make gluten in the process of going from soybeans to tofu. Oh, and EarthBalance doesn't work for her because it has palm oil, maybe also corn?

I just talked to my friend today. She said she can't trust Five Guys any more, because although they are careful as far as handling the burger itself (one person is dedicated to the GF burger, wears gloves only for that order and then tosses them, and so on), the lettuce is not dedicated to GF burgers, so there could be cross-contamination in there. Yes, she's that sensitive.

I just talked to my friend today. She said she can't trust Five Guys any more, because although they are careful as far as handling the burger itself (one person is dedicated to the GF burger, wears gloves only for that order and then tosses them, and so on), the lettuce is not dedicated to GF burgers, so there could be cross-contamination in there. Yes, she's that sensitive.

I believe it. I cannot eat at Chipotle because of cross-contamination. The cheese is a free-for-all, no spoon or tongs used, just gloved hands. The edges of the spoons used to serve the rice, beans, salsa etc. touch the flour tortillas and then are placed back into the food bin. All three times I have eaten at Chipotle (three different restaurants in three different cities) I have become ill, each time within 45 mins. It's just not worth it.

I believe it. I cannot eat at Chipotle because of cross-contamination. The cheese is a free-for-all, no spoon or tongs used, just gloved hands. The edges of the spoons used to serve the rice, beans, salsa etc. touch the flour tortillas and then are placed back into the food bin. All three times I have eaten at Chipotle (three different restaurants in three different cities) I have become ill, each time within 45 mins. It's just not worth it.

I suppose it does depend a lot on how sensitive you are

As for cross-contamination at PF Changs, most restaurants that offer gf optionsare really good about not cross-contaminating gluten and sometimes other common allergies like dairy. I would guess that PF Changs had a dedicated gf area, and they also used that for the dairy free and sesame free stuff, but that the area could have already been contaminated by dairy and sesame. They may have just wiped it down (but not adequately).

Quick food:

Wendy's chili, Wendy's fries. Almost all other fries on the planet have a wheat coating.

McDonald's burgers without the buns.

Beware the McDonald's hamburgers though. Just the burger itself likely has gluten or soy in it. I have a child that is sensitive to those so we had to nix even McDonald's burgers w/o the buns.

My family is pretty much on the paleo diet as my 3 year old has a bunch of sensitivities to foods and I don't want to make three different meals to accommodate all the diet issues.

Beware the McDonald's hamburgers though. Just the burger itself likely has gluten or soy in it. I have a child that is sensitive to those so we had to nix even McDonald's burgers w/o the buns.

The McDonald's regular hamburger patty does not contain gluten. There is a risk of cross contamination, but the burger patty is gluten-free. I do not know whether it contains soy.

I am GF, Soy free, MSG free and dairy free. Gotta watch the MSG. It's even on lots of salads/salad bars (Ruby Tuesday's to name one and then pretty much everything on Chick-fil-A's menu has MSG...large scarey amounts too on the nuggets!)

Anyway, my two main chains are McAlister's Deli. I get the Savannah Chicken Salad with no cheese. The Sherry Shallot dressing that comes on it is "clean" for me too. My other favorite from there is the grilled chicken spud with no cheese, but extra chives and tomatoes. Oh, and their veggie chili is OK for me too. I sometimes get it in a bowl and sometimes on the spud with no cheese.

Another regular place for me is Jason's Deli. They have GF bread (Udi's bread that we eat at home too) that you can request. I get the Annie-O's turkey sandwich on GF bread with a fruit cup. I get the salad bar eating just the fresh veggies (well, I can have the olives and the beets too). No safe dressing, so I use their oil and balsamic vinegar. I also have them make a unique spud for me there. I have grilled chicken on it and their roasted tomatoes (those roasted tomatoes are also good on a plain turkey sandwich there too).

There's a place here that I think has a few places in the mid-WEst called Biaggi's. It's an Italian place that has a GF menu and then most things are also soy free. I can have a LOT of stuff on their 2 page GF menu! They even have GF, soy free bread they bring to the table while we are waiting. YUMMY!

Sometimes local "hole-in-the-wall" places are better choices. They are often cooking from scratch and can do something special for me.

Oh and Wendy's chili is a good choice for me to (well...lately I'm reacting to a some beans, like pintos, which are in their chili:(

The McDonald's regular hamburger patty does not contain gluten. There is a risk of cross contamination, but the burger patty is gluten-free. I do not know whether it contains soy.

There is no soy either.

Just search McDonald's ingredients. They do the best of any Fast food resturant in listing their ingredients. (IMO)

• 10 months later...
Guest nofueld

If there’s one thing I truly like about the Olive Garden gluten free menu, it’s the fact that they offer gluten-free pasta.

• 3 weeks later...

Mellow Mushroom is a pizza chain that has a good GF crust, and does Daiya (dairy-free) cheese and other options.  

California Pizza Kitchen will do GF crusts now.

PF Chang's is the bomb, though in terms of GF.  They really try and make it work.

Chick-fil-A tries to be helpful for GF. You can do their grilled chicken sandwiches, waffle fries, and fruit cups.  They'll wrap the chicken in lettuce for you or put it in a box with a knife/fork.  

Famous Dave's has a gluten free menu, too. (Did I mention that already?)  They have a decent allergy menu, so you can easily see which items are dairy free, too.

We are gluten, dairy, peanut, tree nut, sesame, and raw food allergic and Famous Dave's has been pretty accommodating - none of us have had any reactions afterward.  

I've tried the hamburger buns at Red Robin and I was not impressed.  So much so that I removed it and just ate the burger.  My bun was hard, crumbly and just didn't taste like I think a bun should.  (even for a GF bun I felt it was bad).  And you do pay an upcharge for the GF bun.

Asian food is your friend, especially small privately owned places that use fresh "real food" ingredients. If you are rice free, you can avoid it and still get enough. A counter service Mexican will give you just the meat w/o the tortilla. Longhorn offered a gluten free menu last night. I am doing a trial of gluten free. I'm not ready to say I can't ever have it.... just not ready. But I can eat spaghetti now (using quinoa noodles) without feeling like I am going to explode, and being up half the night with terrible heartburn. I thought it was the sauce... And even though oats are gluten free, they seem to be an offender as well.

I've tried the hamburger buns at Red Robin and I was not impressed.  So much so that I removed it and just ate the burger.  My bun was hard, crumbly and just didn't taste like I think a bun should.  (even for a GF bun I felt it was bad).  And you do pay an upcharge for the GF bun.

I much prefer just getting my burger lettuce wrapped there.  Plus it's healthier.  The buns are usually good, but if they are old or left out in the open air they dry out easily.  

If you live in southern Washington or northern Oregon, Burgerville is pretty good about gf.  They will cook your burger separately and give it to you with the bun in a sealed plastic baggie.  They will not toast the bun because of the risk of cross contamination in the toaster.  They do not do a dedicated fryer for fries, however.