Menu
ATTENTION: Forums search will not work until re-indexing is completed. Please follow these instructions for search

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pineapplehorse

D'Aulaires' Greek Myths - MP or MBTP?

DS12 LOVES Greek mythology and we are taking up D'Aulaires' Greek Myths next year. For any of you who have done Memoria Press or Moving Beyond the Page's Unit, what did you like or dislike about it and why. Or...would it be overkill to pick and choose some from both. I have the MBTP unit, just wondering if I should pick up the MP one at HEAV conference next month...

TIA!

MP is very dry and straight forward. Lots of answer the questions. It is challenging! I have not seen the MBTP unit.

We are using and enjoying the MP one this year. You could do it orally if you wanted to try and do both. it has been great for my kids, they have really learned the stories.

The MBTP unit is meant to take 3 weeks, while I believe MP is supposed to take a year. That's a huge difference! I haven't used the Greek Myths unit, but the 9-11 lit units I have used have been absolutely wonderful. Everything is laid out very well and the graphic organizers work extremely well for helping us get the work done. I have a hard time with program that tell us what to do in text - but seeing a graphic organizer just "clicks" for us.

MP Greek Myths vs. MBTP lit unit for A Single Shard (unfortunately they don't have a sample of Greek Myths)

The MBTP unit is meant to take 3 weeks, while I believe MP is supposed to take a year. That's a huge difference! I haven't used the Greek Myths unit, but the 9-11 lit units I have used have been absolutely wonderful. Everything is laid out very well and the graphic organizers work extremely well for helping us get the work done. I have a hard time with program that tell us what to do in text - but seeing a graphic organizer just "clicks" for us.

MP Greek Myths vs. MBTP lit unit for A Single Shard (unfortunately they don't have a sample of Greek Myths)

We have done lots of the MBTP units :) Never thought about the MP unit being for an ENTIRE year??!!

Is that true...Paradox5, Mama2two?

The MP guide for the Greek Myths is broken down into 25 lessons and 5 review lessons, and when done once per week it will last the whole school year. You could do the lessons as often as you would like, though. :001_smile: I think that if you did it orally just using the TM, it would be easy to compact it into a shorter study.

Thanks! I have the MBTP unit but think I will pick up the MP unit at the convention to have as well. 25 lessons isn't that bad (the MBTP units are usually 10 or 12) so I think if I combine the two orally it will work well.

Thanks for all the input!!

Check out shmoop.com's mythology material. My 12 yo likes it quite a bit.

Is she going to do either the National Mythology Exam or the Medusa Exam next year?

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER & RECEIVE A COUPON FOR
10% OFF
We respect your privacy.You’ll hear about new products, special discounts & sales, and homeschooling tips. *Coupon only valid for first-time registrants. Coupon cannot be combined with any other offer. Entering your email address makes you eligible to receive future promotional emails.
0 Shares
Tweet
Pin