Menu

accidentally put spoiled milk in my soup--is it safe to eat?

raindrops

i agree, generally sour milk is not poisonous, and boiling would sterilize it, but its likely to curdle and make the soup sour. Was the milk bad as in 'smells sour' or bad as in "oh, the date on the milk is last week but it smells fine' or what?

I actually started making the soup two days ago, and the milk was fine then. I took the soup out to finish it, and realized later that the milk I put in it two days earlier had gone sour. So most likely the milk I had put in the soup two days earlier was sour too.

I actually started making the soup two days ago, and the milk was fine then. I took the soup out to finish it, and realized later that the milk I put in it two days earlier had gone sour. So most likely the milk I had put in the soup two days earlier was sour too.

Okay, I see what you mean. So it wasn't sour when you first put it in the soup but it is now, so you're assuming that the milk in the soup would be bad too.

I would boil it and try eating it. If it tastes funny, I'd toss it.

With spoiled milk the only Issue is generally taste. I have a few old recipes that call for spoiled milk.

No, sour milk is fine and a legitimate food but requires unpasteurized milk. Pasteurized milk doesn't "sour," it spoils. I can't imagine willingly eating rotten milk. That has got to be one of the worst tastes ever! Anyway isn't it all chunky and curdled? I definitely think it's not good to eat.

Yes, I tend to believe it was "spoiled" milk, since it was pasteurized... So all my hard work down the drain... My yummy chicken I cooked in the crockpot, my organic broccoli, carrots, cheese... All because of one cup of spoiled milk. A small loss, I suppose.

The milk simply smelled bad--bad enough to make the whole fridge stink. But it wasn't curdled or anything.

Ack! That would have been a deal killer for me.

Ah... new info. Yeah, I think you did the right thing by not eating it. Sorry for the loss of all your hard work and soup!

I thought spoiled milk was an urban legend! Our milk never lasts long enough to spoil.

Ah... I have an even better one for you! How about the house that uses so little milk that it constantly spoils and gets tossed? The inhabitants just don't care much for milk but must have it on hand for the occasional bowl of cereal or teaspoon to use in a recipe. That house *does* exist. Ask me how I know... :leaving:

If you made the soup before it spoiled and you boiled the milk with the soup, it probably killed the spoiling process for the milk in the soup, or at least delayed it. I would boil it again and give it a try. If it tasted fine, I'd eat it. If not, toss. At least give it the old college try. :)