Menu

Questions to ask prospective high schools?

I don't have high school aged kids, and I'm not homeschooling anymore :sad: , but I am hoping a few of you will help me with this request.

We are relocating this summer, and we will be selecting a new school district for my kids. They will be attending parochial schools until 8th grade when they will transfer to the local public high school. We are considering two high schools. One is in a small town of 1500 and has about 225 students. The other is in a large (to me) city of 13,000 and has 770 students. I will be touring both high schools in the next couple of weeks, and I'm wondering if you have suggestions on what I should be sure to ask when I visit. With my oldest only in 5th grade, I am at a loss as to what will be important in a high school.

What I have so far (in no particular order):

• Student discipline methods & strategies
  • Class sizes
  • Academic offerings
  • Tutors and other support for struggling students
  • College prep process & advanced placement classes
  • Academic extracurriculars
  • Other extracurriculars
  • Transportation to school & extracurriculars
  • How many kids go on to 4 year colleges & test scores
  • How do counselors help with future career planning, access to scholarships, and academic path to college

FWIW, I don't expect we will return to homeschooling. I will be the primary breadwinner, and dh isn't interested in homeschooling.

I'd ask about sports and P.E. Are students expected to play sports in their P.E. classes? Is there a fitness alternative? Do the high schools have J.V. teams and/or no-cut teams for struggling athletes?

Is driver's ed offered, and is there a cost for it?

Most high schools have course catalogs online. You should be able to do a good bit of research before you go in for your tour.

What is the school safety and emergency policy? Are parents welcome on school grounds during the school day? (You'll want to know the answer to this question! It varies widely from school to school, and some schools are actively hostile to parents.) Is there a parent association at the high school, and what kinds of things do they do?

Finally, what exactly is taught in "health" class? Can a student opt out if he doesn't want to participate in a lesson or activity?

If they offer AP Classes, ask what percentage actually score with a 4 or 5 (speaks to the quality of courses, not just whether they offer them).

On average how many AP Classes are truly offered each year (not just how many are in their catalog).

How many National Merit Semi-Finalists/Commended students did they have.

How is their turnover of teachers, and why do they leave (retirement is OK, getting more pay the next county over is not)

Do they have any long-term statistics of what graduates are doing 5 years and 10 years after high school

Likely these will make them squirm, but I asked these very questions and more when I was (briefly) considering having one do part-time enrollment in order to get advanced classes. I wasn't at all happy with the answers, and we resolved to stay the course through high school at home with some selected online classes.

Since you are going to transfer from a private school, find out how that works. How do they determine placement and transferring?

What options are there for a student who needs more than the school provides? (In the end this might be something you would have to research yourself, but it'd be nice to hear that they are open to outside options and know of some.)

Just to expand on what others have already mentioned:

1. Ask to see a copy of The College Board Summary Report. This report will provide you with a breakdown of the AP scores for each class.

2. Not only is it important to make sure that the AP classes listed in the school's catalog are offered, it is also important to inquire about scheduling conflicts. For example, at my public school, AP Chemistry and AP Physics B are offered during the same block. Kids can only fit one of these classes into their schedules before they graduate. A student going into a STEM field, ideally, should take both of these classes in high school.

Good luck