Menu

another midlife/menopause question

HollyDay

My lower abs are getting bigger and my waist is thicker. That whole belly button through the hip area is just bigger. My clothes don't fit as comfortably or as well and I'm not liking it one bit. Have other women experienced this and is there anything I can do to correct it?

A bit of recent history....... I'll be 51 this week. My periods are beginning to be spaced further apart. I went 5 months without one. Now, it has been about 2 months and still nothing. This is a good thing. My doc cut my estrogen again this past March. The compounding pharmacist said that he has never compounded an estrogen dose as low as mine. It is working well. No horrible headaches, decent energy, very few hot flahses/night sweats. I'm not having miserable and irregular cycle anymore. Considering how awful I felt 2 years ago when we started hrt, I consider all this progress.

But, I'm not liking the changes around my middle and lower abs. Is this just "one of those changes" and deal with it? I walk daily, watch what I eat. I know I need to drink more and there is always room for improvement in my diet. Dd has been doing PT and I do her daily exercises along with her. I can feel my body getting stronger.

Please don't tell me to give up chips, soda, and salad dressing. I've already done that. And white bread and white rice and bananas and grapes and potatoes and boxed processed foods, and anything with artificial sweeteners, and dried fruit and cooked carrots and pasta.

My lower abs are getting bigger and my waist is thicker. That whole belly button through the hip area is just bigger. My clothes don't fit as comfortably or as well and I'm not liking it one bit. Have other women experienced this and is there anything I can do to correct it?

A bit of recent history....... I'll be 51 this week. My periods are beginning to be spaced further apart. I went 5 months without one. Now, it has been about 2 months and still nothing. This is a good thing. My doc cut my estrogen again this past March. The compounding pharmacist said that he has never compounded an estrogen dose as low as mine. It is working well. No horrible headaches, decent energy, very few hot flahses/night sweats. I'm not having miserable and irregular cycle anymore. Considering how awful I felt 2 years ago when we started hrt, I consider all this progress.

But, I'm not liking the changes around my middle and lower abs. Is this just "one of those changes" and deal with it? I walk daily, watch what I eat. I know I need to drink more and there is always room for improvement in my diet. Dd has been doing PT and I do her daily exercises along with her. I can feel my body getting stronger.

Please don't tell me to give up chips, soda, and salad dressing. I've already done that. And white bread and white rice and bananas and grapes and potatoes and boxed processed foods, and anything with artificial sweeteners, and dried fruit and cooked carrots and pasta.

Oh, yeah. I hear you. My shape has shifted the last couple of years and I'm a little older than you. I haven't had a period since the first of the year, and that one was only 1 day. I had surgery last week, and they wanted a urine sample. When I asked why, they said they had to test for pregnancy since I had not gone a year without one....Lol. We all had a good laugh about that one, at my age.

You (and I) will have to work like a dog to even resemble that flat-ab woman of the past. Two lettuce leaves a day and water is what you can eat and not gain (kidding, a little).

I live there. I asked my beloved aunt the same question. And she asked if I am active and healthy. And I am. So she said to go with the shape I am and enjoy life!

I live there. I asked my beloved aunt the same question. And she asked if I am active and healthy. And I am. So she said to go with the shape I am and enjoy life!

I agree. IME it's not too much of a stretch to say at this age about all you can eat w/o gaining is a couple of lettuce leaves. I know I'm eating far less than I ever have in my life because I just don't get nearly as hungry as when I was a few years younger. But the weight doesn't budge.

The matronly middle happens to most, but can be avoided if we adjust our caloric intake accordingly. It is not fair, but middle aged women burn about 20% fewer calories than their young counterparts. Also, after age 50 muscle mass deteriorates. Strength building and weight training can do much for burning calories in middle aged women, even more than aerobics for that reason.

The matronly middle happens to most, but can be avoided if we adjust our caloric intake accordingly. It is not fair, but middle aged women burn about 20% fewer calories than their young counterparts. Also, after age 50 muscle mass deteriorates. Strength building and weight training can do much for burning calories in middle aged women, even more than aerobics for that reason.

Yes, weights are essential at this point in my life. I stopped trying to run a few months ago and opted for a vigorous walking program, stretching, and weights. I was half way hoping some of the lower body changes might be due to me doing dd's PT exercises with her. But, I doubt it. My back hurts less though :)

I agree. IME it's not too much of a stretch to say at this age about all you can eat w/o gaining is a couple of lettuce leaves. I know I'm eating far less than I ever have in my life because I just don't get nearly as hungry as when I was a few years younger. But the weight doesn't budge.

This is the way it is. The waist line becomes a straight line. Just look at food and the scale goes up. Recently I've take up swimming in the ocean with DD. We go for 2hrs. each trip. This is the only thing that burns enough calories to lose weight that I've tried. Walking, hoeing and digging garden beds just doesn't make a difference. My current weight and shape are similar to me six or seven months pregnant.

What the other poster said, Be active! Eat well.

This is the way it is. The waist line becomes a straight line. Just look at food and the scale goes up. Recently I've take up swimming in the ocean with DD. We go for 2hrs. each trip. This is the only thing that burns enough calories to lose weight that I've tried. Walking, hoeing and digging garden beds just doesn't make a difference. My current weight and shape are similar to me six or seven months pregnant.

What the other poster said, Be active! Eat well.

Yes, walking, bike riding, etc. is just not getting the job done anymore. I try to "make each bite count" as my nutritionist friend says.

I don't have many IRL gfs who are my age/stage. Most are younger since we met through homeschool and other activities our dc do together. Many are still having babies and dealing with toddlers. They haven't begun to even think about midlife changes yet. I appreciate the input!!!