Menu

Nance/Wilson logic - how would you filter out bias and just teach the skills?

Colleen in NS

I've read posts comparing Intro/Inter. Logic by Wilson/Nance to TL 1 and 2 by Cothran. And have read with interest about other logic texts (Kreeft, I think is the author??) that are said to be more neutral. Some hold the opinion that the Wilson/Nance texts are biased towards Christian beliefs and some say Cothran's is more balanced.

Well, in my wanting to look ahead a few years, I recently bought Intro./Inter. Logic, based on TWTM recommendations (I knew nothing about logic until I read WTM, so I'm going purely on an opinion I respect).

I'm a Christian, so the Christian bias itself in the book does not bother me. However, I *am* interested in learning/teaching logic purely for the sake of learning to think clearly. I don't think I can return the books now, and I don't want to sell them off at a lower price just to buy another text. How do I go about extracting the logic teaching in the books, and separating it from the beliefs put forth (I'm not opposed to the beliefs), just so I can teach my kids the mental tools? (or is this impossible, and are all logic texts biased somehow?)

IOW, (Spy Car, if you are reading) if you had no other choice but to use Wilson/Nance, how would you use it?

Just spotted this post and saw that noone had responded so thought I would add my 2-cents worth.

We use mostly secular material and like you I'm a Christian but I like to use secular materials. We used Intro and Inter Logic when my oldest was in 7th and 8th grade without really seeing the bias. Sure there is Christian material in there that a non-Christian might detest but the skills needing to be taught came through very clearly. This fall my youngest will be starting with Intro Logic and I'll be able to post a clearer insight in another couple months.

Afer Inter Logic my older DS continued following the Rhetoric recommendations in TWTM and I was really amazed at how his logic skills/knowledge learned from Intro and Inte came flying through.

HTH,

Carole

We used Intro and Inter Logic when my oldest was in 7th and 8th grade without really seeing the bias. Sure there is Christian material in there that a non-Christian might detest but the skills needing to be taught came through very clearly.

Afer Inter Logic my older DS continued following the Rhetoric recommendations in TWTM and I was really amazed at how his logic skills/knowledge learned from Intro and Inte came flying through.

Hi Carole,

Thank you for responding!

Phew, that makes me feel better after spending all that money on Intro/Inter. Logic!!! I'm glad to hear that the skills needing to be taught were clear. And that you saw how the skills got used in rhetoric studies. It's so hard for me sometimes, to know what to do when I read so many reviews and pros and cons about each program for every new subject I want to tackle with my kids.

I've been reading another thread about logic, and learning a lot from there, too.

I really appreciate your two cents. :)

Colleen