Menu

Best life/maturity/thinking books for preteens and teens?

What are the best books you've found for preteens and teens that help move them toward independence, teach thinking skills, encourage maturity, give them important knowledge they might otherwise miss, or in any way contribute positively to their lives?

These are some of the books we own that fall within the range of what I'm looking for...

The Fallacy Detective

College Without High School

Do Hard Things

Letters to a Young Mathematician

Richard Maybury books

7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens

The Search for Significance, Student Edition

Any other suggestions for me to check out?

Thank you!!!

For boys, Bob Schultz's books can't be beat. But I see you have 3 princesses, so they might not be so useful to you. :)

I'll list them anyway.

Created for Work: Practical Insights for Young Men

Boyhood and Beyond: Practical Wisdom for Becoming a Man

Practical Happiness: A Young Man's Guide to a Contented Life

For boys, Bob Schultz's books can't be beat. But I see you have 3 princesses, so they might not be so useful to you. :)

I'll list them anyway.

Created for Work: Practical Insights for Young Men

Boyhood and Beyond: Practical Wisdom for Becoming a Man

Practical Happiness: A Young Man's Guide to a Contented Life

I agree these are excellent. I'm looking for books for my dd too!

Not books, and not with an evangelical Christian slant if that is a theme of what you want, but there are some interesting courses regarding thinking available from Great Courses, including a new one that sounds interesting called Skepticism 101 and an older one called Your Deceptive Mind: A scientific guide to critical thinking skills. I have not used either of them (promised myself I would not buy another till all we already own and can get from library easily have been well used), but if anyone does, I would sure like to know how they find them. They are on sale right now, both together for 79.90 with set number 9389, priority code 71027.

Parts of Lies My Teacher Told Me were helpful for starting to recognize propaganda.

Also I have liked the Critical Thinking Company's books on critical thinking, and they have a series on promoting thinking and discussion about interpersonal relations called What would you do? or some title along those lines.

He is too young still, but I think I will try to get my son to read Mindset by Carol Dweck, and maybe something like Flourish by Martin Seligman when he is teenaged.

There was a book called something like Philosophy for Teens that also looked interesting.

Up From Slavery - Booker T. Washington, Gifted Hands - Ben Carson (his other books as well), How to Be Your Own Selfish Pig - Susan Schaeffer Macaulay, Wonder O' the Wind - W. Phillip Keller (his other books as well), Don't Waste Your Life - John Piper, Your Money or Your Life - Joe Dominguez (older teens), The Man in the Mirror (older teens), Churchill