Menu

----

242 members have voted

1. 1. In the title,...

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

I voted no. At 14 DD was allowed to do that, which she did.

I voted no because I am in favor of giving them certain privileges to look forward to. If they can do everything they want at 9-10, what will they want to do at 14 that they can see as you allowing them something special? The older they get the "edgier" they want to be. DD feels pretty "edgy" at 14 with her highlight. If she had a highlight at 10, what would she want to do to be edgy at 14?

Hope I'm explaining that right. It was a personal choice, and I don't think anything bad about doing it a bit younger. For us it was more part of a strategy!

I voted no. At 14 DD was allowed to do that, which she did.

I voted no because I am in favor of giving them certain privileges to look forward to. If they can do everything they want at 9-10, what will they want to do at 14 that they can see as you allowing them something special? The older they get the "edgier" they want to be. DD feels pretty "edgy" at 14 with her highlight. If she had a highlight at 10, what would she want to do to be edgy at 14?

Hope I'm explaining that right. It was a personal choice, and I don't think anything bad about doing it a bit younger. For us it was more part of a strategy!

I agree with your thinking here - but part of me also thinks its better to do it young - before they need a job. Donning my flame suit here - I certainly would consider unconventional hair a factor in a teen job interview. I would guess that many places that would hire a teen (fast food, local places, retail) would as well.

I wouldn't allow a permanent color at any age.

I'd probably have a waiting period and/or have her use the wash-out stuff for a while before the semi-permanent, but yes, I'd probably let her go ahead and at least try it. I'd think it a bit silly, but hair isn't one of those hills I'm generally willing to battle on. My 13 year old has had blue sections off and on for the past few months.

I voted yes, but it would only be if it washes out. I would not allow long term type dyeing on a child that young. If she wants something long term, she'll have to wait until she's older. For non-permanent things though, I would rather her try to make her statements with odd hair colors than with other behaviors.

No. A relative dyed one small section of DD's hair blonde and I hate it. It makes her look like a skunk because her hair is dark brown. I would allow it if it would wash out but permanent is too much for a young child.

Yes. Live and learn. Hair is NOT the hill I will die on. Neither are tattoos or piercings. Plus, they learn now what works and what doesn't in society. Or they grow up to not care and become the most successful business owner since Gates or Jobs.

Since any children of mine would inevitably have dark hair, I would discourage it at such a young age because they'd have to have it bleached first and that really begins to mess with your hair. Still, it's not a hill I would die on, as they say. That's for sure. If a kid is determined, and especially if they pay the bill or take it as a birthday present of whatever, then absolutely. It's just hair.

I voted yes. If she really, really wanted to and NOT because she was just wanting to fit in, then yes. I am trying hard to teach my kids that they don't have to keep up with the Joneses.

When those long feather hair things were in style, that you had to go to a salon to have put in, I would not allow it. I felt like she wanted one only to be like her friends. Glad I didn't, because all of those friends had to have them taken back out right away for soccer season.

That time will come soon enough in the teen years, that I don't want to begin now and have it be expected.

I would be more concerned about the "why" of doing it. If she were trying to follow some pop star, or perhaps a group of edgy friends, that would concern me MUCH more than a color change. After all, women change their hair color all the time. Dark to blonde, grey to .... anything other than grey. That's not a big deal. If it were in her natural sort of "quirky" way, I wouldn't have a problem. Following the crowd, however, is a BIG deal that has to be discussed! I remember my parents were so freaked out when I was young that I wanted to wear, gasp, PURPLE! A purple shirt! Oh my God! Respectable people simply DO NOT wear purple! (I did it anyways behind their back....now, I couldn't care less about it....it was more about NOT being able to do it!) Also, like many people have said about other issues on this board, extended family members DON'T get a vote!

I have dd's and the vote will be a no. Like a pp said, there are certain things I want my girls to look forward to when they are teens- hair, make up being some of them. I will not allow it before they are 13 at the earliest. I don't allow make up or nail painting either.

My answer is sort of strange, but here goes. If it was my eldest child, then no, I probably wouldn't allow it. If it was a younger sibling and an older one was getting it done, then my answer would probably be more toward allowing it. My youngest daughter wanted black streaks in her light(er) hair. We made her wait until she was 12, and then did it for her birthday. That's the other thing that might sway my answer. Did she ask for it as a birthday gift/thing? I might be more inclined to make her wait for her 10th birthday, but that's just me.

I hope you will share what you decided and why. :)

No. I think it's tacky. As long as my kids are kids, they won't wear tacky clothes or hairstyles. I let them choose their own clothes from the things in their drawers, but I limit what goes into the drawers. I want my kids to understand that being a classy person consists of both behaving well and grooming/dressing well. I don't mean that we're vain. We don't spend a lot on clothes or obsess about the latest trends. In fact, we are not trendy at all. Most of our kids' clothes are hand-me-downs or homemade. The rest were bought on clearance or by grandparents.

I have heard people argue that it's a means of self-expression, but I don't really understand what they mean. If you want to express yourself, learn to speak and write coherently. What exactly are you expressing by coloring your hair? All I can see is that you like the color pink. I have no idea what your passions are or what you believe.

with colored hair spray yes, with actual dye no. I made that a special rite of passage when they turned 13. ds didn't care, dd13 has had a few colors now. The youngers can use colored hairspray and colored gel but they know they have to wait for the real deal. We use color splat hair dye and it says it is semi permanent washing out in like 12 weeks, dd still has purple in her hair from last summer and green from xmas, and now she has regular hair dye in to mask those for dance festivals/recital/photos. THat is a lot off chemical and I would not want that on a young child's head.

If she just wants one section and you're not sure about dyeing, you could have a weave piece put in. Lasts a while and totally removeable. They did this for my DD when she got her hair cut once.

However, she first had her hair dyed when she was 6 I think--bright blue. I timed it so it'd be full-on when she went out to see my Mom for the summer. About once every year or two she asks for it and we do it some bright color. It's been pink, red, and a combo of pink/blue/purple. Right now she's leaning toward getting it done in black and pink sections in the fall so she can be her favorite Monster High character for Halloween. I've pointed out that if she doesn't want to cut bangs, a wig might work better.

One reservation I've had is bleaching. DD's a blonde going to brown, so her hair takes dye pretty well without bleaching, but I'd be reluctant to bleach it because of the way bleaching can fry it. Dye alone doesn't damage the way bleaching does.

For us, free choices with hair, nails, ear piercings, and temporary body art came with weaning. As a teen she'll have the option of wearing face makeup and greater latitude in clothing choices. Being "edgy" won't bother this mom; if she wants to rebel, she'll have to head into Denim Jumpers or Debutante land or something. :cool:

I did allow my daughter to dye all her hair fuchsia. We lived in the city at the time, and all kinds of funky was the norm there. We bought the temporary stuff that fades out over the course of a month.

Hair is not an issue worth fighting over. The battles I choose will be over drugs, alcohol, or an abusive boyfriend.

I voted yes. Ds1 has had a bright orange poof of hair on top of his head, and he currently had two little poofs in the back of his head, which he has sprayed black and white on occasion. Kids are weird. I'd rather pick something more substantial to argue about. Hair grows out. Of course, the grandparents think I'm crazy for allowing it, but I let their protests go in one ear and out the other.

Now that dd is in college I think I would say yes to the 9 year old. But really I would say no. I would not have wanted dd to color her hair so young. How can I be saying that? I'm such a grandmother, "sure honey it will be lovely." :D

I voted no. When I was a teenager, my hair was violet for about a year. I also had green and blue at other times in addition to completely shaving it all off when it was absolutely fried. It appears that crazy hair colors are no big deal nowadays, but I put up with a LOT of hateful looks and comments from all segments of the population because of my hair color during that time. That's what colors (ha!) my response.

Meh - not at 9 probably with permanent or even semi permanent color. High school age maybe. That said, I have let my daughter get colored extensions that last about her month for her birthday. And we have used colored hairspray for different occasions.

I voted other. It depends on what kind of dye and the child's natural hair color. My dd wants pink hair, and I've been discouraging it because it would require bleaching a chunk of it first. However, if it could easily be done with a washable color I'd have no issues at all.

No. I think it's tacky. As long as my kids are kids, they won't wear tacky clothes or hairstyles. I let them choose their own clothes from the things in their drawers, but I limit what goes into the drawers. I want my kids to understand that being a classy person consists of both behaving well and grooming/dressing well. I don't mean that we're vain. We don't spend a lot on clothes or obsess about the latest trends. In fact, we are not trendy at all. Most of our kids' clothes are hand-me-downs or homemade. The rest were bought on clearance or by grandparents.

I have heard people argue that it's a means of self-expression, but I don't really understand what they mean. If you want to express yourself, learn to speak and write coherently. What exactly are you expressing by coloring your hair? All I can see is that you like the color pink. I have no idea what your passions are or what you believe.

I think I love you!!! :cheers2: