Menu

Phonetic Zoo and Auditory Processing

Has anyone used the Phonetic Zoo spelling program with a child with dyslexia and auditory processing issues. Her first few years of school were a real struggle. But I feel like we've made a lot of breakthroughs in the last 1.5 years. She's now reading at at least a 3rd grade level (she just turned 10) and is doing grammar, writing and math on a 4th grade level and nearly finished with all. She definitely still has some auditory processing issues. And I don't want to overwhelm her and make school too difficult. But I would like to move her toward a more independent program, but can't stand the idea of a workbook based spelling program. I just don't think she would retain anything in that style of program. I wonder if Phonetic Zoo would be helpful in strengthening the auditory processing department, or if it would just be a struggle and overwhelm?

DD10 (definite APD/language disorder) is using Phonetic Zoo - level A - but we are going very slowly at her pace. It doesn't look like the best choice on paper for someone with this issue, but I particularly like the fact that DD is responsible for her own corrections so doesn't feel that she is being stupid if it takes a while to get there. She has gone through O-G programs, but the key problem with them all is they do rely on the ability to hear/sound out, which is just where it starts to fall apart with APD. Phonetic Zoo does rely on being able to hear, but it is a 'whole word' type of hearing and DD is reasonably ok with this using headphones.

Since DD is an animal lover, it was easier to get her interest with this program.

I do feel that key to her spelling success is the ability to memorise spellings and use rules and patterns.

I have Sequential Spelling on the shelf in case we stall with Phonetic Zoo.

Along the lines the pp said, it would almost seem counter-intuitive to use a listening based spelling program with a child with auditory processing disorder. This is why you need to know what type of auditory processing disorder and why it's helpful to have a neuropsych eval that looks at the strengths and weakness of the different modalities with respect to (working) memory. My dd has a type of CAPD which creates difficulty only if there are competing messages. Otherwise, she's a good auditory learner. NP testing shows her verbal memory is great. Her visual memory is poor. Considering the big picture, something like phonetic zoo may actually have been good for her, someone with a primary dx of CAPD. You just don't know, so it couldn't hurt to try. You may want to think about whether or not she likes listening to audio books with earphones.

Well, we've spent money on trying to get diagnoses twice, but have not managed to get such specific diagnoses as you are mentioning Tiramisu. When we did testing 3 years ago, they said her auditory processing disorder was like when you are talking on the phone to someone and it cuts out every so often and your brain has to fill in the blanks, but sometimes it's hard. My husband has the same issues and I asked him what he thought about the program for her, but he wasn't really sure. Honestly, she's made such huge improvements regarding her LD's and her education this past year that I think she probably could handle it. I know she would really like the independence of it. She gets frustrated having to wait on me all the time. She's a very motivated child and, given a list, would knock out all of her school work and chores, easily, before lunch. We've been using the Phonics Road to Reading, and she's done really well with it, but I'm not sure how much has transferred to every day use. She remembers the rules and the spellings of the words for that week during the week, but in every day application, she seems to forget. I wonder if the repetition of hearing the rules would help her remember? She listens to audiobooks all the time (at least 2 novels a week), but not with headphones. I would think headphones would make it easier to hear. In fact, when we did our testing/assessment several years ago, that was one of the things they suggested as an aid in helping her concentrate and to make for less "static", making it easier to hear all the sounds of all the words and not have it "cut out". I think it could be a good fit, but I'm a little nervous to try a new program.

Thanks for the replies!

If she enjoys audio books even without earphones, I think she might do well with Phonetic Zoo. The audio books have probably been helpful for the development of her auditory system. And if Phonetic Zoo works, that could be too, I imagine.

I think I understand what you mean about the cut out thing. My dd has cut outs, too, but it only happens if there's other noise or two or more speakers speaking at the same time. If there's one message without other noise, the signal is reliable. If you dd is similar, I think you're in good shape with Phonetic Zoo. No harm in trying, especially if she's motivated.

The auditory system can be late in developing and there's variation in the rate of maturity between different people. If your dd just turned ten, it's hard to say if the results of that testing three years ago would hold true today. She was 6, or 7 at the oldest, which is the very lowest end for a reliable auditory processing evaluation. Her system has matured and you've been doing things to help it along. Yes, there's the family history to consider, but even with family history, perhaps the informal therapy you've been doing has been helpful in remediating :).