Menu

HO: Ancients (level one)

I bought this and want to use it but I'm trying to be thoughtful about how we divide our time this fall. How much time a week do the lessons take and associated readings and activities take? Is there any reason I should consider just using SOTW and the Activity Guide instead?

I don't know about the History Odyssey guides, but I created a guide for Ancients Level One. It's free, if you'd like to look at it. The idea behind the narration suggestions is that you can either do an oral narration or do an oral narration for half of the reading and then follow the remainder of the reading with your choice of another of the narration suggestions listed. (The Narration Suggestions listed include a variety of ideas such as picture narrations, narrations based on questions designed to encourage a variety of thoughts and ideas, written narrations, etc.)

I've included suggested additional readings, independent readers and various additional activities or resources.

http://amindinthelig...ancients_8.html

I'm not sure what using the AG would buy you. As you go through History Odyssey, you are free to pick and choose what parts of each lesson you wish to do. So if time is running short and you don't wish to make a beaded necklace, don't do it. Your child won't be a history failure. Each lesson has a list (many times, a page or two) of possible additional readings. The intention is not necessarily that you will read all of these books; it's to give you a reasonable choice so you can find something that will appeal to your child and maybe even be available in your local library.

I would do all of the mapwork; the geography piece does help hold some things together thematically, and I know my younger has learned the geography very well from keeping up with this consistently, even as we work through two units per year, so pay certain things short-shrift. We have enjoyed some of the hard to find treasure chests, though they aren't necessarily the best value for the money. History Pockets are cute, but I have had to admit that my son is not a fan of the cut & paste stuff. He gets more from the library books and additional biographies. A timeline has been worthwhile for us, as it forms such a neat, graphical picture of history. The Usborne readings are short, though a kid who enjoys them can drag it out later and explore more if he's interested, on his own time. Narrations do not take long-- maybe 5-7 minutes (I let him dictate).

The longest time commitment in any lesson, it seems is reading Story of the World (we skip CHOW).

The next longest is the mapwork, depending upon how carefully your child colors.

If you do coloring pages, (we don't) those are often done while you read to your child.

Timeline and Narration require about ten minutes total at the end of the lesson.

Special projects-- building something, using a kit, History Pockets, extra books can be in a separate lesson later in the week or in the middle of the week, or the books can be left lying around the house to be picked up, or the books assigned as "self reading" time that happend to match history.

Basically, the AIG would put you in roughly the same place as H.O. for Ancients Level 1. What you are doing is putting things in a different order. I personally love the incremental (very, very incremental in level 1) writing and note-taking instruction that takes place across the program throughout the different levels. DS12 is finishing up Medieval L2, and I can see how much farther along it has taken him in outlining, essay writing, library research, and even character and plot mapping in literature comprehension. It is such a gradual, yet inexorable building of skills as they move through the program that even my reluctant writers can't help but learn some skills that will help them in college or their own personal pursuits.

Good luck choosing what will work for you!

Thank you for that post! I plan on using HO Ancients with my 1st grader. To answer the Op i tried using SOTW with my oldest ds and the reading was just over his head at times or just plain boring. I decided to do HO because there were other options (some secular book recommendations) and I felt that I could do the HO options along with the SOTW AG projects and booklists. Basically like Jen said it's the options that drew me to get HO.

When I was trying to do SOTW by itself, history was a drag to get through. I'm hoping with having both SOTW and HO that history will get done. Again just having options to get it done rather than looking for different curricula.

How about using History Portfolio to spice things up?

http://www.homeschooljourney.com/

I have tried to use SOTW on its own but mine were not interested, either. I don't think it is a fault with the book or AG. I like the looks of HO, too.

Those look so tempting! Any idea if 1) the materials are secular (or at least as "secular" as SOTW) and 2) how time consuming it is to complete the program? I guess I just see things like notebooks and lapbooks and become afraid if we'd ever complete them. We both work full time so I have to be extremely thoughtful about what are the best uses of our time. It stinks :(