Menu

I need recs for Career Surveys and Study Skills courses. (Electives)

A few options:

Study Skills

- see if a local homeschool co-op offers such a class

- check out your local community college or university; they often offer a series of "student success" type of courses for high school dual enrollment that teach various study skills

- How To Be a Superstar Student (Teaching Company series of lectures on DVD)

- Long Beach City College: Instructional Media: Study Skills Workshop series: online lectures and worksheets

- Study Guides and Strategies -- lots of links to articles for a "do-it-yourself" approach

Career Exploration

- Sonlight Curriculum: College and Career Planning Kit

- Glencoe: MacGraw Hill: Exploring Careers (note that the used versions are quite inexpensive -- don't know if they will allow you any potential online key code access...)

- list of resources from Exploring Careers (above) for a "do-it-yourself" approach

A few options:

Study Skills

- see if a local homeschool co-op offers such a class

- check out your local community college or university; they often offer a series of "student success" type of courses for high school dual enrollment that teach various study skills

- How To Be a Superstar Student (Teaching Company series of lectures on DVD)

- Long Beach City College: Instructional Media: Study Skills Workshop series: online lectures and worksheets

- Study Guides and Strategies -- lots of links to articles for a "do-it-yourself" approach

Career Exploration

- Sonlight Curriculum: College and Career Planning Kit

- Glencoe: MacGraw Hill: Exploring Careers (note that the used versions are quite inexpensive -- don't know if they will allow you any potential online key code access...)

- list of resources from Exploring Careers (above) for a "do-it-yourself" approach

Lori, thanks so much!! :grouphug: :grouphug:

Now, does anyone have experience with the above resources?

• 6 months later...

I ETA: My teen has ADD and anxiety.....if that makes a difference. smile.gif

Yes, I wouldn't do a dual enrollment class at a community college at this point then unless you've gone that route before and/or know what is involved.  The community college I work for does have online sections of their "student success" class, but they don't allow that for dual enrollment until you've done at least one face-to-face class there.  Policies vary though.

We've worked through parts of the Sonlight course, and it is excellent.  I'm still going to have mine take the community college one though because it has a slightly different focus and mix.  They have to take it anyway for a degree from there.

Career Planning: 

Book - What Color is Your Parachute for Teens?

Free Online Interest Assessments - www.cacareerzone.org

Occupational Outlook Handbook - http://www.bls.gov/ooh/

Supplemental Books for Career Planning: 

Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell

The Call: Finding and Fulfilling the Central Purpose of Your Life by Os Guiness (Christian Content)

Failure is Not an Option: Mission Control from Mercury to Apollo 13 and Beyond by Gene Kranz

So Good They Can't Ignore You: Why Skills Trump Passion in the Quest for Work by Cal Newport

The Career Guide for Creative and Unconventional People by Carol Eikleberry 

The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success by Andy Andrews

Go To: The Story of the Math Majors, Bridge Players, Engineers, Chess Wizards, Maverick Scientists and Iconoclasts - the Programmers Who Created the Software Revolution by Steve Lohr

Leaving Microsoft to Change the World: An Entrepreneur's Odyssey to Educate the World's Children by John Wood
300 Best Jobs without a Four-Year Degree by Farr & Shatkin
The Noticer by Andy Andrews
The Dream Giver by Bruce Wilkinson (Christian Content)
Kisses from Katie by Katie Davis
Finding Your Element: How to Discover Your Talents and Passions and Transform Your Life  by Sir Ken Robinson
Shop Class as Soul Craft: An Inquiry into the Value of Work by Matthew Crawford (colorful language warning)
Zero to Maker by David Lang
The Rise of the Creative Class by Richard Florida 

Study Skills: 
What Smart Students Know by Adam Robinson
Study Smarter Not Harder by Kevin Paul
How to Read a Book by Mortimer Adler