Menu

does anybody here "teach" writing without a curriculum?

kfeusse

I have just not found a curriculum that I seem to like or that works with my kids. So I am really wondering if I need a curriculum. If you don't use one, can you please tell me how you teach your children to write....I mean everything from good sentences, paragraphs to a report.

thanks.

I have been using Write On! and Writer's Toolbox a bit, but mostly just using the Dictation Resource Book.

I recently found Writer's Express handbook. I had seen Writers Inc and Write 2000, and didn't like them all that much. They were full of stuff, but didn't cover ANY of the things I wanted to cover in depth enough. SURPRISE when I saw the 1st book in the series and it covered EVERYTHING I wanted to cover. :w00t: I think I could teach with just Writer's Express, but it's still too new to me to know for sure. I'll let you know in a few months how it's gone, and if I needed more.

We use Brave Writer... which is sort of a curriculum and sort of not. According to the verbiage, it's a "lifestyle," which, honestly, makes me laugh when I say it, but I do get what they're getting at. It's a method, not a curriculum.

Anyway, I like that BW uses routines over specific content, so that you're constantly pushing forward, but you're not on some artificial writing timetable, which is one of the reasons that I think a lot of writing curricula don't really work.

Anyway, I would take away the idea of routines. Before I found BW, I tried DIY for writing when my kids were younger and I tried to compile all this specific stuff and set it up and that didn't work much better than other things we had tried. Ha. But establishing a routine - this day we do freewriting, this day we do narrations for history or science, etc. really helped us get into a better groove.

are there any curriculums that "run themselves"? I have 3 kids and I have let writing slide by the wayside...mostly becuase I just don't have the time to sit down with 3 kids and do a program....so honestly, I guess I don't even know why I started the thread aobut not using a program...other than I haven't found one that works for us.

any suggestions??

I think some of the structured workbook style programs, like Winning with Writing or Evan-Moor's Six-Trait Daily Writing, probably come closer to running themselves than other things, but that writing is a place where it's worth the time you put in.

Hunter, what level/age is Writer's Express written for?

I'm thinking 4th-5th grade based on the book's webpage. You can see student samples on that page.

http://www.thewritesource.com/books/handbooks/writers_express/'>http://www.thewritesource.com/books/handbooks/writers_express/'>http://www.thewritesource.com/books/handbooks/writers_express/'>http://www.thewritesource.com/books/handbooks/writers_express/

I'm looking at the main product page here as I am looking at something for summer.

http://www.thewritesource.com

Farrarwilliams, what specifically have you used from bravewrite, she has a few different things available.

Thanks,

Ruth in NZ

The Writer's Jungle is the basic book - it covers all levels K-12. It has specific ideas and suggested routines and a lot about philosophy and teaching. It's a really encouraging book - I think it will make most parents feel like they can teach writing. She draws a lot from Charlotte Mason and Peter Elbow. And she ties together dictations with freewrites, which I really like. There are a lot of ideas in there - I always say that even if someone doesn't buy into her whole method, she has a lot of pieces (like the poetry teas, for example) that people can "borrow."

I've also used The Arrow, which is a short monthly supplement that mostly provides dictation passages and a few other things, from a single book. However, we are so set in what we read that I have only used it occasionally - I usually pick out the passages myself.

The Wand is for younger kids - K-2nd mostly. Jot It Down is for younger kids as well but covers projects and different material. The Boomerang is like The Arrow, but for older kids - middle school mostly. Help for High School is a curriculum written to the student for high school essay writing specifically. I don't think people should usually get any of the other products until they've read The Writer's Jungle.

Most of her products are available at a discount from HSBC.

I agree with the idea that it is vital to create a routine. Our writing routine is to simply focus on one writing assignment per week. (when they are older, as in high school writing, assignments may take more than a week, but still focus is on a single assignment).

Someone linked the posts where I describe how I teach writing, so I won't bother repeating myself. But my kids know exactly what is expected from them in terms of writing assignments M-F.

Hunter, what level/age is Writer's Express written for?

I think I read somewhere that it is 4/5, but I intend to use it both lower and higher. I really don't like the higher level books unless a student has first used, and still has access to, Writers Express. I read somewhere that a family only needs the highest level book, Writer's Inc, for the whole family, and I cannot say how much I disagree with that review! If anything it's the other way around. Writer's Express covers all the most common writing MISTAKES that high schoolers make.

I do!

Actually, I have used a writing textbook in the past (an ESL/remedial comm. college textbook) and I will probably use one in the future too, but right now I've set it aside. Since the girls can write great paragraphs and are working on essays now, I've found it doesn't make a lot of sense for me to have them use writing prompts that are on unrelated topics. So instead of writing about their favorite pet or whatever, I have them writing about how the ideas of the enlightenment affected European society or how the body maintains homeostasis. It just makes more sense to link writing with content areas. So this past semester, all writing instruction (and literature) has been linked to what they've been studying in history or science.

They are still very beginning essay writers so there is a *lot* of hand-holding. Typically, I'll assign them a question and then let them brainstorm answers. I started them with five paragraph essays, though will eventually drop this training-wheels approach. I guide them to come up with a strong thesis statement and then help them to divide the essay up. Typically they'll write one of the "body paragraphs" together and do one on their own and then combine them together. Then they work on the introduction and conclusion together. They've written 6 or 7 essays so far and each time I try to back off a little bit more. When they're finished with the essay, I help them to edit it. It usually takes two or three lessons to write it and we focus a lot on organization, using an academic voice, and mechanics. I assign one about every other week.

We also do a lot of book summaries (of stories and novels we've read) and biographical paragraphs (or historical figures we've learned about). All of this writing (along with pictures and time lines and outlines and maps and such) get pasted into their history portfolios.

You know, I downloaded three books by Janet Angelillo last year in a Scholastic $1 download session, and I think they're worth noting because her approach might resonate with those attracted to a CM/BraveWriter type method, but also a bit different or distinct.

The books are:

Grammar Study

Making Revision Matter

A Fresh Approach to Teaching Punctuation

http://teacherexpres...-62&name=Search

She emphasizes that students need to understand and "digest" things themselves, she emphasizes (and provides specific ideas of) using well written "trade" literature (=novels) to teach particular points, and does not use worksheets. She also provides a good selection of books to read and consult. Most delightful of all, her methods are based on evidence of how students learn! And the book is regular, in other words, nicely laid out, copy-editted, not self-published, and modern.

From the intro to the Grammar book: "What I propose in this work is that learning grammar is more than depending on a series of rules to internalize and follow. Yes, it is partly that, but it is also falling in love with language—any language—and wanting, even needing, to know how it works. Anything you love, you want to know better."

At the moment (I think until the end of the day) they are part of the current "$5 Friday" ebook promotion, but they may come around again for $1.

• 3 weeks later...

The Writer's Jungle is the basic book - it covers all levels K-12. It has specific ideas and suggested routines and a lot about philosophy and teaching. It's a really encouraging book - I think it will make most parents feel like they can teach writing. She draws a lot from Charlotte Mason and Peter Elbow. And she ties together dictations with freewrites, which I really like. There are a lot of ideas in there - I always say that even if someone doesn't buy into her whole method, she has a lot of pieces (like the poetry teas, for example) that people can "borrow."

Most of her products are available at a discount from HSBC.

Bumping an old thread and question for Farrar: how does BW tie together dictations with freewrites?

Bumping an old thread and question for Farrar: how does BW tie together dictations with freewrites?

They're just on the same menu, so to speak. And fitted together in the same philosophy. That's really all. I feel like I see dictations from curricula that lean classical and freewrites on curricula that are more public school style, but not usually together. I like that BW brings them together as two different pieces that each teach writing in a different way.

I just wanted to say I'm falling in love with Writer's Express like I did the original What Your _ Grader Needs to Know series. So much else is just falling to the sidelines, no longer needed or wanted.

Hi Hunter,

I always take a look at things you recommend, because it seems like you always have good ones, and not necessarily just the new "flashy" curriculum that everyone else is talking about! Can you tell me if you are just using the textbook, or the workbooks, or...? And for what grade, or as a reference for yourself?

we have not used a writing curriculum really this year. my daughter's writing is pulled from science and history. my son is only in 3rd grade, so we are just writing simple paragraphs with him, but they are also based on science or interest led topics. next year my daughter is going to public school, but my son will still be home with me. i plan to continue using science and history as our jumping off points for writing assignments. i own kathryn stout's comprehensive composition & it serves as a nice spine for us. i bought it off amazon for a few dollars.

Hi Hunter,

I always take a look at things you recommend, because it seems like you always have good ones, and not necessarily just the new "flashy" curriculum that everyone else is talking about! Can you tell me if you are just using the textbook, or the workbooks, or...? And for what grade, or as a reference for yourself?

Just the textbook, and mostly for grades 3-8, but a bit below and above also.

They're just on the same menu, so to speak. And fitted together in the same philosophy. That's really all. I feel like I see dictations from curricula that lean classical and freewrites on curricula that are more public school style, but not usually together. I like that BW brings them together as two different pieces that each teach writing in a different way.

Gotcha. I was confused at first, thinking there was some special way BW did dictations... LOL Thanks for all the explanations!

I have been using Write On! and Writer's Toolbox a bit, but mostly just using the Dictation Resource Book.

I recently found Writer's Express handbook. I had seen Writers Inc and Write 2000, and didn't like them all that much. They were full of stuff, but didn't cover ANY of the things I wanted to cover in depth enough. SURPRISE when I saw the 1st book in the series and it covered EVERYTHING I wanted to cover. :w00t: I think I could teach with just Writer's Express, but it's still too new to me to know for sure. I'll let you know in a few months how it's gone, and if I needed more.

I just bought Writer's Express at Hunter's recommendation. :lol: My oldest has been doing very well with Write On as well.

I am re-reading The writer's Jungle, and the Brave Writer lifestyle articles, plus I pulled out my copy of Kathryn Stout's Comprehensive Composition (had forgotten I had this, so thanks for the reminder!). We've decided after much back-and-forthing to NOT buy a writing curriculum for either child for the upcoming year. Dd isn't ready for many of them, and ds always sets them aside after a few weeks due to boredom and irritation with them.

I figure we can always add in fun writing projects like poetry, letter writing, and more with library books, plus with the above mentioned, we should be able to get through writing without a curriculum.

I use bits and pieces of different curriculum for writing. I used MCT Island, but I felt I needed to cover other things also. I used the Write Source Textbook for 3rd grade to make sure I covered the different types of writing like descriptive etc.. I try to make him write every week, rotating between free writing and the different types of writing covered in Write Source. I plan on buying some of the Bravewriter Wand/Arrow downloads. Write Source has a workbook that seems more do it yourself.