Menu

Can you give me more ideas for an analytical research paper on the Holocaust?

To clarify:

An analytical research paper (as opposed to an argumentative research paper, which argues a debatable topic) usually begins with a "how" or "why" question to be explored and evaluated.

Here are a few ideas I've come up with, but I could use a few more:

• How did Nazi propaganda desensitize the German population in the 1930s?
  • Why were the Jews singled out by the Nazis for extermination?
  • Why was Kristallnacht a turning point in the Nazis' policy toward the Jews?
  • How and why did the White Rose (or Oskar Schindler, etc.) resist the Nazi regime?
  • Why was there no unified resistance movement within Germany?

Something that I really got into when we last studied WW2, based on my core question of, How did this happen? and my sub-question, What about the children?

• How did the Hitler Youth program contribute to the Nazi success?

I think it even can relate to homeschooling, in a way, as far as who is teaching the children, who is developing the thoughts of the future generation, how can a culture cause the children to control the parents... I wrote down a few of the things I felt were useful reading back then, mixed into this post: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5000#p47510

Julie

How did WWI war reparations accelerate the rise of Hitler and Nazism? Note: my dad and I have been discussing a biography of Wilson and this came up as a side issue. Germany surrendered because they believed Wilson's plan not to have war reparations, but he gave that part of his plan up during the peace talks. Germans were hugely disappointed and their economy did not experience the "roaring 20s" quite the reverse. You could even do a compare and contrast with WWI and WWII's Marshal Plan and results.

There's also a group in France that smuggled Jews out to Switzerland during the war. The book to investigate them is Lest Innocent Blood Be Shed.

They also give an excellent explanation of the issue that Candid suggests as a research topic. They are some of my favorite lectures. (well, favorite is not an accurate term.....they are incredibly horrifying and difficult to listen to, but I learned more from them about the causes of Hitler's rise than I had ever really understood before.)